Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Oh for goodness sake, Old Gringo, give it a rest! A visit with a decent genealogist would likely reveal some surprises in your own family tree. Cousin marriage is neither shocking nor uncommon. Rudy is a creep, but not because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh for goodness sake, Old Gringo, give it a rest!
Thanks for the bump.

Quote:
A visit with a decent genealogist would likely reveal some surprises in your own family tree.
I've done 23 and me.

You?

Quote:
Cousin marriage is neither shocking nor uncommon.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Rudy is a creep, but not because of this.
It's just another layer to Rudy's onion of creepiness.

But this one's fun to bring out in the open.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:20 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Roy Moore and Donald and his wanting to date Ivanka, nothing surprises me about Republicans. We need to redefine "family values" in the Trump age.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This from the same crowd who advocate marriage between just about anybody and anything.
You don't get the irony do you.

The whole point of making a point is to show the hypocrisy of the family value party.

And yes some of us think it is grosser to inbreed than for two guys or two women to get married.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Thanks for the bump.

I've done 23 and me.

You?

Thanks for sharing.

It's just another layer to Rudy's onion of creepiness.

But this one's fun to bring out in the open.

You are sadly misinformed about the frequency of cousin marriage and that photo, while clearly meant to be amusing, perpetuates the myth that cousin marriage leads to genetic issues. In fact, when second cousins marry and have children, birth defects are no more common than in any random two people of the same nationality. I agree that Rudy is obnoxious and worthy of disdain, but not for this reason. And, good for you that you've done 23 and Me, but without a corresponding tree, it tells you nothing about the occurrence of cousin marriage in your family.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The part about the marriage being annulled after 14 years is what disturbs me.

One of my nieces married a Catholic man; she converted to his religion, and they had five children. Unfortunately, she fell into alcoholism. He did try to help her, as did the rest of us. Finally, he had enough.

I could not believe that he was able to get their marriage (also around 14 years) annulled, meaning it never happened in the Eyes of God. Divorce I could have understood, but annulment?

By the by, she is now 5 years sober and doing very well.
From what Ive seen in the catholic church, many annulments are just a rubber stamp. I cant think of a single one that was ever denied.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You don't get the irony do you.

The whole point of making a point is to show the hypocrisy of the family value party.

And yes some of us think it is grosser to inbreed than for two guys or two women to get married.
Are you kidding? Today, most people avoid knowingly marrying a cousin, but there's nothing that conflicts with family values about marrying a second or third cousin, and it's not illegal. My mother and MIL are distant cousins, something my husband and I did not know until my father, an avid genealogist, uncovered it a few years after our marriage. My spouse and I find it pretty funny, especially given that we were born in different parts of the world and grew up in different parts of the country. I grew up very aware that my extremely deep roots in southwest Ohio meant I was likely related by blood or marriage to at least half the population of my hometown, and I thought I was "safe" marrying someone born in another part of the world, but NOPE! Hate Rudy if you'd like -- I think he's a creep -- but second and third cousin marriage is not unusual, illegal, or weird, and if you were to look long and hard enough, I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd find it in your own family tree.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-18-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 06-18-2018, 06:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You are sadly misinformed about the frequency of cousin marriage and that photo, while clearly meant to be amusing, perpetuates the myth that cousin marriage leads to genetic issues. In fact, when second cousins marry and have children, birth defects are no more common than in any random two people of the same nationality. I agree that Rudy is obnoxious and worthy of disdain, but not for this reason.
It IS an amusing reason though. Especially coming from a loudmouth "arbiter of all things moral and proper."

As he frantically defends his alter ego.

Quote:
And, good for you that you've done 23 and Me, but without a corresponding tree, it tells you nothing about the occurrence of cousin marriage in your family.
I already knew about the absence of cousin marriage in my family.

For some odd reason, it seems to fascinate you, though.

Carry on.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
It IS an amusing reason though. Especially coming from a loudmouth "arbiter of all things moral and proper."

As he frantically defends his alter ego.

I already knew about the absence of cousin marriage in my family.

For some odd reason, it seems to fascinate you, though.

Carry on.

Then you're not looking hard enough.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:45 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
I didn't believe it either.

But it's TRUE.

His first wife was his 2nd cousin and they got the marriage annulled.

AFTER 14 YEARS!

Giuliani's first wife was his second cousin | PolitiFact

No wonder he and tRump are so tight.

Would somebody cue up the dueling banjos from Deliverance please...

This reality show just keeps getting better!

So.

Were they consenting?

Finally not that uncommon amongst Italians and probably other nationalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies