Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 04:41 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not. No resentment.

Mexicans are a wonderful , God fearing ,hard working people. Just like the previous ethnicity landing on our shores as migrants looking for work.

All people who are willing to assimilate into the American way of Life as Law abiding have my full support.

Make your own rules,not pay your dues and that's when you get kicked out of the club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 04:42 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I’m a life long Democrat but yes I’m considering voting republican. It’s a major issue for me because i live in a city that has a huge undocumented immigrant problem. Not to mention that the economy is on steroids right now so I have a further incentive to vote republican.
I understand, but I'll repeat - no matter how annoying it is for you, it is not one of the major, major national problems, and not a good issue to hang your hat on. Nor, in my opinion, does a good Democrat vote simply for what will fatten his own wallet.

Perhaps it would be good for you to target your STATE/CITY elected officials if this is a local concern for you.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
I'm so mixed, I don't have an ethnic group.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I'm white bread Irish, I have no issues with my poor white trash potato eating lineage.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I would be very sorry to think that you would vote Republican (assuming that you're a Democrat) over one single non-major issue, siding with a view that is totally lacking in compassion. Obama was already cracking down, but without all the cruelty and grand-standing.

Do keep in mind that, no matter how much Trump blathers about it, immigration is not such a hugely urgent issue - much less important than, say, the environment, voting rights, women's rights, civil rights, etc. I hope that you look at the whole heartless Republican agenda before you vote.
Immigration, illegal immigration in particular, is the single largest issue the US faces. Obama said he was cracking down but we more or less had open borders during his administration. The issues you note are of comparatively minor concern.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Immigration, illegal immigration in particular, is the single largest issue the US faces. Obama said he was cracking down but we more or less had open borders during his administration. The issues you note are of comparatively minor concern.
The fight over illegal immigration is a sideshow act meant to inflame the masses, and, sadly, it's working.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:31 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
I’m a dual citizen of Mexico and America. I was born in Mexico to two American citizen parents so I received both citizenships at birth. I have mad love for Mexico and its people, but even I’m starting to consider voting republican. My mom is an immigrant and she did everything the right way, got her residency and then received her citizenship. She paid thousands of dollars, studied her butt off for the citizenship test, and eventually became an American citizen. It’s so hard for me to resonate with undocumented people demanding citizenship and now I get labeled as a traitor by people from my own ethnic group. Im sorry but i don’t think you deserve to be a citizen just because you entered illegally or overstayed your visa.
Mexico is full of millions of people that are not trying to illegally go into the U.S.

Why would you resent the entire group?

I happen to like Mexicans myself.

I spoke to an African immigrant yeseterday, who came in the correct way. He feels resentment like you do.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I'm of English background on both sides so I don't really have an ethnic group to resent or relate to. My husband immigrated legally from the UK and it was really expensive and hard to do. He had to produce all sorts of paper and background checks, get medical check ups and all vaccinations.

So I highly resent people from other countries just walking into our country. I resent these same people getting free clinics and free handouts of any kind. They didn't stand in line or pay their dues. They cheated. There are many poor Americans who need help but there's more help and sympathy for illegals.

I do want to help true refugees whose country is really at war or has been destroyed.

Even though I think Trump is scum, it's the one positive thing he is doing and if the Democrats don't wake up and see what's happening and what's happened in Europe as a result of too much unregulated immigration, then they are going to lose votes. I do not know of one single Democrat around here who is FOR illegal immigration.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:44 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
I’m a dual citizen of Mexico and America. I was born in Mexico to two American citizen parents so I received both citizenships at birth. I have mad love for Mexico and its people, but even I’m starting to consider voting republican. My mom is an immigrant and she did everything the right way, got her residency and then received her citizenship. She paid thousands of dollars, studied her butt off for the citizenship test, and eventually became an American citizen. It’s so hard for me to resonate with undocumented people demanding citizenship and now I get labeled as a traitor by people from my own ethnic group. Im sorry but i don’t think you deserve to be a citizen just because you entered illegally or overstayed your visa.
My wife also went through the legal immigration process to become a naturalized citizen, and years ago, I did some immigration work.

It is gob smackingly mind-boggling that this is even an issue of contention. I've lived as a legal alien resident for more than three decades outside of the US. It is absolutely normal for nations to have immigration laws and to enforce the same.

I am required to maintain my legal status as an alien, and were I to enter the country where I am now illegally or overstay my visa, I would be deported without any discussion or appeal process.

I am well aware of the difficulty and expense involved in obtaining US permanent residency status and naturalization, and I respect and welcome all those who enter the US legally and undergo the process. It is very unfair to those people that others are permitted (and enticed by 0bama and our welfare state) to enter and stay illegally.

Yes, both parties are at fault. Big business wants these poor people so that they can be exploited and Democrats want them for the votes.

Yes, the US is a "nation of immigrants". But, the US has always had an immigration law dating back to the first in 1796 or so. The US has a right and an obligation to control its borders.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
The first members of my family arrived on these shores in 1636 and the last before immigration law was a thing. There was no Castle Garden, no Angel Island, and no citizenship exam. They just came, so I don't identify as anything other than American. What is there to resent? Furthermore, resentment is an ugly emotion that eats away at national spirit. I think it's best avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies