Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Not the point, as I stated in another post. Example? When did Celine Dione became a citizen? Was it because she couldn't pass the test? There are a number of celebs who live here, and/or go back and forth, who are not US Citizens.

Do you want to make it a law now that after a certain number of years in this country, they all must become naturalized US citizens? Forced citizenship or get out?
H1B used to be that way, and might still be. You can extend it once, and then you have to either apply for green card, or leave. Dione is probably here under a different visa for having exceptional talent (O-1B visa). Many athletes have come in the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I’m a dual citizen of Mexico and America. I was born in Mexico to two American citizen parents so I received both citizenships at birth. I have mad love for Mexico and its people, but even I’m starting to consider voting republican. My mom is an immigrant and she did everything the right way, got her residency and then received her citizenship. She paid thousands of dollars, studied her butt off for the citizenship test, and eventually became an American citizen. It’s so hard for me to resonate with undocumented people demanding citizenship and now I get labeled as a traitor by people from my own ethnic group. Im sorry but i don’t think you deserve to be a citizen just because you entered illegally or overstayed your visa.
I'm a Canadian who became an American.

The test wasn't that heard. Somebody scammed you folks out of money. We paid application fees but did the rest ourselves.

I support letting the Dreamers and those illegal residents who have jobs, families, and have been here for years being given green card status, or put in the process.

Funny how different we all feel about it.

For some of the folks that are illegal, they were asked to 'check in' periodically with ICE and told each time they could stay but come back again. These folks are in the system in many ways and should be allowed to apply for green card status.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:01 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I’m a dual citizen of Mexico and America. I was born in Mexico to two American citizen parents so I received both citizenships at birth. I have mad love for Mexico and its people, but even I’m starting to consider voting republican. My mom is an immigrant and she did everything the right way, got her residency and then received her citizenship. She paid thousands of dollars, studied her butt off for the citizenship test, and eventually became an American citizen. It’s so hard for me to resonate with undocumented people demanding citizenship and now I get labeled as a traitor by people from my own ethnic group. Im sorry but i don’t think you deserve to be a citizen just because you entered illegally or overstayed your visa.
Yeah, I really resent the Swiss. My Mom didn't spend thousands of dollars but she got detained on Ellis Island because someone stole her chest x-rays which were required at the time to make sure immigrants didn't have TB. She studied for and passed that citizenship test too, and was a faithful member of the republican party all her life.

Now Swiss by the thousands are infiltrating our country under the guise of being members of a neutral country. They blend right in what with their northern European features so that no one realizes the seriousness of the Swiss invasion. But just you wait. Pretty soon we'll all be eating Swiss chocolate instead of Almond Joy bars and you know that dairy controversy we now have with Canada? Hah! The cow is like THE national animal of Switzerland. The Swiss are currently flooding the US economy with Emmentaler cheese, American dairy farmers be damned.

I'm so ticked off over all this that I have cut all ties with my Swiss cousins. Enough is enough already!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:07 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Wrong, the Democrats are and always have been the party of racists....they switched from racist against blacks to racist against whites in the 60's and now racism against white males is there game. Republicans have always been and remain the party of non-racists.
I agree up to a point*, but Republicans have also been known as being the party of intolerance and bigotry in many (most?) other matters. (I think that it is more racist to give handouts and expect less of "minorities" than it is to say that minorities should not be given any special treatment and be treated as less able than others so long as they are given EQUAL opportunity as anyone else.)

*I think that racism is more a matter of what is accepted in one's culture and environment and one's personal beliefs and character than it is a matter of political party affiliation. I was absolutely shocked to learn that Mr. Rogers was a registered Republican, and he was the most tolerant, love-everyone person I have ever heard about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHNWh3F5fQ

Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
You said you were born in MX to two US citizens. Then you say your mother was an immigrant. My BS meter is going off.

LOL..Do you know how common that is?!? Its extremely common. You need to submit your "BS meter" to the shop for calibration.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:05 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Let me guess, your mother became a citizen through your American father? She definitely got it the easy way. To answer your question, no I don’t resent other white peoples, even though many of them are misguided.
There is no "easy way." One of the few ways to immigrate legally is to marry an American. And it's not easy to complete reams and reams of paperwork, pay $500-$1000 to submit it, wait, receive another huge packet of paperwork...rinse, repeat. Pay money. Pay more money. Obtain and submit your parents' birth certificates, obtain a sponsor (maybe your future spouse) who will pledge to support you for five years, undergo a background check--that you pay for in your country of origin. Send all of that in with more money. Wait and wait and wait. Undergo a somewhat frightening interview at the American embassy in your country--they seem to take smug pride in humiliating people and have been known to send them away to start all over again if their paperwork is not in consecutive order. It's expensive, time consuming, nerve wracking.

Legal immigration, no matter how it's done, is not "easy." It's the way it needs to be done though. NOT illegally. LEGALLY. But the legal system could be less beaurocratic--that would be nice.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The fight over illegal immigration is a sideshow act meant to inflame the masses, and, sadly, it's working.
Allowing millions of uneducated unskilled people into the country, most of whom will be on entitlements for the rest of their lives,is a huge fiscal and social problem for the country. It is far from being a sideshow.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:57 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsekYQaI-3s

Scott Adams - Fixing the Border “Cages” Situation Using Psychology

Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
No one with an ounce of MXN blood should vote for a GOP candidate as long as they support hate-baiting trump who has said terrribe terrible untruths about the MXN people.

I used to be open-minded and vote for the best candidate, but the GOP has shown that it will support trump no matter what. For as long as trump sits in the WH, NO Republican will get my vote.
Trump is trying to solve the problems unlike Obama who baited illegal migration.

Trump said nothing negative about the Mexican people. the liberal democrats and open border contingent twisted his words.

If two Hollywood celebrities left the US because of Trump , the media would rain down hell on trump and his supporters. Meanwhile, millions flee mexico and not a peep from anyone. Mexican gov should be embarrassed, ashamed, the media should be berating the Mexican government and president for conditions that cause people to flee. Hate for trump??????????? how about sharing some of that hate for the Mexican government and president.

The only reason some may want to be citizens is for the benefits. Who wouldn't want to be eligible for that giveaway???

The real desire and love of the US is not at the top of every illegal entrants list.

Annex Mexico!!!

The mx government sends us its rapists and felons as evidenced by criminals repeatedly deported and allowed to return, even encouraged by the Mexican government, such as it exists.

Way back when illegal entry was minimal with little impact on the US. Times have changed, millions enter enmass and uncontrolled migration is the most irresponsible thing a country can allow. Mexico doesn't allow it. The no borders contingent and liberal democrats looking for votes are the most irresponsible who pretend it is 1950 and ignore the plight of millions of people fleeing their own country.

Annex Mexico!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Despite having a lot of Mexican on my mom's side (I have a lot of Danish on my dad's side), I will be honest and say there are times I have this anti-Mexican mindset. That is, I have this negative view towards Mexicans when a lot of the immigrant-related crimes I hear about come from Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies