Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:18 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
No, not really. Not in New Jersey. You can't just drive over to PA and buy and gun, then bring it back...
unless you're doing it illegally.

Even in other states, you can only cross state lines and buy a long gun. If you want a handgun, you can buy it, but it has to be shipped to a Federal Firearms License holder. You can't just cross state lines with one.

Haha. Looks like a number of posters beat me to it.
That happens to me too. You'll read a post and then respond unaware that it's already been answered.

It's just a shame that there are so many people that really do not know that much about firearms and firearms laws and only regurgitate the propaganda that has been fed to them by the mainstream media. Especially nowadays when you have the internet and can look up damn near anything. As a gun owner I already knew the firearms laws in question. To back it up I went straight to the ATF's web sight and not look up someone's opinion. I don't know what it is with some people? Maybe they're afraid of learning the truth as it contradicts what they want to believe? Or maybe they just couldn't be bothered to look into it any further?

At any rate there is no excuse for the media as it is their duty to report the facts and not just their opinions. It's the same when they call all of the illegal invaders "immigrants" they conveniently leave the word "illegal" out. Or they call them "undocumented" implying that they just haven't done the proper paper work. They are what they are (illegal invaders) that have barged into our country uninvited in violation of our immigration laws and there's no way to change or sugar coat that irrefutable fact. I just read this today: "ABC News Apologizes After Falsely Reporting Paul Manafort Pleaded Guilty to Manslaughter". That must have really killed them to admit that. But that's par for the course. Shoot first then ask questions later.

It's the same way when they conduct their polls. They conduct them where they will achieve the results that they desire. If they want to show that the majority of Americans are in favor of even more restrictive gun laws they'll go to states that have the most restrictive gun laws. More than likely in those state's major cities that are overwhelmingly Democrat. You won't see them coming to where I am in Arizona that's for sure, where guns are a way of life. We value our Constitutional freedoms and damn near everyone is armed. The mainstream media's condescending attitude towards their fellow Americans is infuriating. It's no wonder that many have lost all faith and trust in them. They've become thee propaganda wing of the Democrat Party.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 06-21-2018 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 AM

1,196 posts, read 838,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
No, not really. Not in New Jersey. You can't just drive over to PA and buy and gun, then bring it back...
unless you're doing it illegally.

Even in other states, you can only cross state lines and buy a long gun. If you want a handgun, you can buy it, but it has to be shipped to a Federal Firearms License holder. You can't just cross state lines with one.

Haha. Looks like a number of posters beat me to it.
18 use 926A. "§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
"Any person not prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport an
unloaded, not readily accessible firearm in interstate commerce
notwithstanding any provision of any legislation enacted, or any
rule or regulation prescribed by any State or political subdivision
thereof".
MAGA/KAGA

Old 06-21-2018, 09:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Right on! It's amazing what some people will believe. In order to legally buy a firearm out of state is to have it transferred to a federally licensed dealer within the buyer's home state at which point all of the appropriate paper work and NICS check will be performed. In state's where handguns must be registered such as in New York the buyer may not legally take possession of the handgun until it is registered, and an amended permit and purchase coupon is issued. At least that's the way it is in New York.

Obviously an out of state resident could make a private sale within another state and take possession of it. But that would be in violation of both state and federal laws for both the buyer and seller.
There is no way for them to enforce this though, or even have a good estimate how often its happening.

I sold some guns for an older friend that was going into a nursing home a couple years ago, I posted them on an online classified site, got some calls, a guy came and looked at them, he paid in cash and was out the door, no paperwork, no checks, I didnt even know his last name...there are 1000s if not more of transactions like this happening all the time from state to state.

People swapping or trading guns for other items is also very popular around here, they will trade cars, farm equipment, motorcycles, etc for guns, its all done privately.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:34 AM

446 posts, read 167,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And, yet, we are still relatively safe compared to many other nations, including those that actually restrict gun ownership.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americans...173747656.html

God bless our wise founders, and the 2nd amendment

Old 06-21-2018, 11:43 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is no way for them to enforce this though, or even have a good estimate how often its happening.

I sold some guns for an older friend that was going into a nursing home a couple years ago, I posted them on an online classified site, got some calls, a guy came and looked at them, he paid in cash and was out the door, no paperwork, no checks, I didnt even know his last name...there are 1000s if not more of transactions like this happening all the time from state to state.

People swapping or trading guns for other items is also very popular around here, they will trade cars, farm equipment, motorcycles, etc for guns, its all done privately.
Of course not, but that's the case with all laws that are routinely broken. People who break the law do it knowingly, they are taking a gamble that they won't get caught. Unfortunately many times they don't. So what's the answer? Pass even more laws? That's kind of redundant when taking into consideration that there are already thousands of laws on the federal, state, and local levels that address both the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms. Not to mention thousands of laws that address every conceivable criminal act imaginable. God only knows how many laws that are routinely broken where the perpetrators never get caught including capital crimes. Just look at the war on drugs to see how effective laws are in reducing their use or engaging in the drug trade.

There really isn't any way to enforce any laws other than to have a law enforcement officer stationed in every residence and on every street, highway and public area throughout the United States. Not to mention scattered throughout all of America's wilderness and undeveloped lands. Laws are only there to provide a method of punishment for those that get caught breaking them.

I now live in Arizona where the private sale of firearms is perfectly legal without paperwork or checks. However it is still illegal to sell to an out of state resident or to knowingly sell a firearm to a prohibited possessor as described by federal law. If I were to sell one of my firearms to an individual who later on used it in a crime and it was discovered that I sold that firearm to a prohibited possessor or to an out of state resident without going through a federally licensed dealer within the buyer's home state I could be held criminally liable. Not to mention any civil penalties that could be filed against me if the gun was used in a crime.

I've never sold or bought a firearm through a private sale. About the only way I would buy one from a private sale would be if I personally know and trust the individual I was buying it from. About the only way I would sell one would be to an individual that had a valid Arizona drivers license along with a valid Arizona concealed weapons permit. This way I would be assured that the individual is indeed a resident and who they say they are. The Arizona concealed weapons permit would assure me that the individual was not a prohibited possessor and had passed not only the standard checks but the additional checks that are required to obtain the permit. I would also keep a record of who I sold the firearm to and when I sold it. I'm not alone in that regard as I've seen countless ads for private sales of firearms with those very same requirements from those who are selling them.

No offense intended but what you did was foolish, irresponsible and you may have a committed a felony if in fact you sold to an out of state resident. The very thing you seem to be railing against or at the very least trying to use to prove a point. But rest assured you are not alone when it comes to possibly violating federal gun control laws. Anti gun activist Mark Kelly did the same when he tried to make a straw purchase of an AR15 rifle. Another Democrat politician Karen Mallard in a demonstration of pure stupidity cut the barrel of the same type of rifle. Creating what is known as an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) which is prohibited by law unless they had a Class 3 federal firearms license, the gun was manufactured before 1986 and was registered with the federal government. Don't hold your breath waiting for any criminal prosecution of those two individuals.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 06-21-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies