Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:30 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
How can you not understand that the linked articles prove the OP's point? People in the government conspired to persecute her. The fact that you think the persecution was justified is irrelevant. No, I take that back. Your attitude reflects their attitude that the government is not accountable to the people.
Nope, not at all. The articles show that her "voting" non-profit was not legit. This raised red flags and was looked into as it should be. I think everyone knows that if you try to pull some crap like that, you better make sure your house is in order. She was no "innocent" with her non-profit. Her organization was bogus, shady, and partisan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
How can you not understand that the linked articles prove the OP's point? People in the government conspired to persecute her. The fact that you think the persecution was justified is irrelevant. No, I take that back. Your attitude reflects their attitude that the government is not accountable to the people.

Yes, the Government is accountable to the people.
And to make sure everyone gets a chance to vote regardless of their race, religion or ethnic background. And you will also be looked into for started illegitimate charities.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:35 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
From reading, it does sound like Ms. Engelbrecht engaged in behavior calculated to prevent lawfully registered voters from voting, by filing numerous voter registration challenges, causing the local voter registration officials to send out notices to said voters that their right to vote has been challenged, entailing said voters to have to prove their right to vote.

https://votesmart.org/public-stateme...e#.WyqFEYcUmpo
I read your link, and none of those examples were done by Katherine Englebrecht or her group in Texas. And we are taking Elijah Cummings’ word for it?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That is a fair point, but we still don't have any other explanation for what happened to Engelbrecht. Since these things factually did take place, what would be your explanation?
It's not "the deep state". It's a behemoth bureaucracy. When one tentacle is investigating someone, it raises a red flag, and other tentacles come to investigate.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I am Deep State.
Louis XIV?

Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
More crazy talk. Seems some just can't get enough of it.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:32 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Wow! Talk about right wingers vanishing from a thread when facts are presented. Well since they're known for denying science I guess it's just expected now for them to deny (or in this case, ignore) facts altogether.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You’ve got the burden of proof backwards. If you want to assert such a thing exists you need incontrovertible proof. Not just anecdotes, hearsay, and jumped conclusions.
That's pretty much my take on it, too.

If I tell you that unicorns exist, the burden isn't on you to prove they don't. It's on me to prove they do.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:39 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not "the deep state". It's a behemoth bureaucracy. When one tentacle is investigating someone, it raises a red flag, and other tentacles come to investigate.
^^^This. Inefficient bureaucracy. Why would the 'deep state' or the United States waste thousands of dollars to keep one person from starting a non-profit?

The problem in this country is that a lot of non qualifying organizations apply for tax-exempt status and do not deserve it, but it just slips on by. If the organizations that do not conform to the rules, they should be paying taxes. This country loses a lot of money in taxes to exempt and non-profits that make huge profits.

As for the tale of Ms. Engelbrecht--don't really have the time or interest to read her long story. Maybe I'll catch it on cable after Dinesh D'souza makes his propaganda film.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Read the article linked. They hated her group because they wanted to ensure the integrity of elections, and prevent voter fraud. And they are conservative. They did nothing wrong.
Or better yet, go straight to the source waters and decide for yourself.

True the Vote has a website, and a simple search will give you both sides of this controversy.

Reading just the linked article only gives you one view of the organization.

The issue really isn't the non-profit status of the organization. It's whether massive voter fraud exists or not.

Since voter fraud is a crime in all 50 states, if True the Vote makes big claims there's a lot of it going on, then naturally, law enforcement has an interest in taking a look at the evidence. Prosecuting crime is part of the government's job.

But if True the Vote has no solid evidence voter fraud exists, that won't necessarily stop it from getting its non-profit status. That hangup could only be in the way the group's application was written, or some other glitch in documentation.

Tax exemption has some regulations attached to it that must be followed. So any claim for tax exemption could be examined for its proper compliance to the laws of exemption. You can't just claim it without having something factual to back it up.

Blaming the troulbe on the 'deep state' is just blowing a smoke screen over the real issue. A deflection. So is a claim "They hated her group".

Creating fear and paranoia is no fraud preventative, but it can be useful politically. And a tax exempt group can be a swell money laundry.

I'm not saying anything bad or good about the lady and her outfit. All I'm saying is to take any big claim with a grain of skeptical salt.

If you are really worried about voter fraud, then call your local county clerk and ask for the records. The clerks are responsible for fraud checking, and we elect them. Voting records are public. Just go look for yourself and draw your own conclusions instead of swallowing someone else's first.

Last edited by banjomike; 06-20-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies