Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's really more of a bigger issue in the north east where you have so many major medical centers so close.

My New Jersey friends want to go to New York City for their care.
I lived in NJ twice. My NY employer's Large Group Healthcare Plan enabled tri- state healthcare within affiliated networks.

My employer changed insurers every single year. PPOs were always different which led to the annual shuffle of records and new medical and dental practices. This was a decade before the ACA.

I rolled my eyes when Obama used to say you can keep your plan and Doctor. He obviously did not understand that medical practices can opt in/ out of plan participation and that employers are free to switch carriers.

Trump is on record saying that acquiring insurance via a trade association will reduce premiums 70% is as ignorant as Obama saying the ACA will save the typical familiy $2500/ year.

Politicians says a lot of really goofy things about healthcare insurance despite their obvious ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM

AARP is the largest association by membership in the US. It promotes a variety of insurance products and is paid a fee to do so.

One can find the same or compariable insurance products independent of AARP at the same or lesser premium.

The contractual relationship is between the insurer and insured parties.

In contrast, a large employer who subsidizes employee premiums guarantees a minimum annual payment to the insurer, regardless of the number of actual employees. Trade associations are not in the position of guaranteeing premiums to an insurer nor do they want to be a part of the contract between the insurer and insured.

It is uncertain how an association will be able to use the size of its membership to negotiate lower premiums when they cannot ensure their members will honor their payments. Unlike employers, a trade association is not involved in payroll or deductions. It's members are not obligated to continue membership.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I was catching up on the White House youtube channel to see what's really been going on while propaganda media screams about children in cages. (yawn)

This was Trump's speech before the Natl Federation of Independent Business. He addressed the immigration story up front briefly. But afterward there was lots of info on tax cuts, fewer regulations, various ways his administration is helping small business, as you'd expect at this gathering. BUT...

At around the 40:00 mark he talks about Sec. of Labor Alex Acosta implementing a plan whereby small businesses can form associations on their own, even across state lines, to negotiate for better health plans for less money! Just started today so I assume the White House will officially announce it tomorrow.

So if you own a small business or work for one, you need to find out about this fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhyPJdnXEA
I've always thought even individuals should be able to shop insurance across state lines. I'm not sure why the ACA doesn't allow it.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I've always thought even individuals should be able to shop insurance across state lines. I'm not sure why the ACA doesn't allow it.
Its funny, my retiree pre-Medicare coverage comes from NYS. It is quite welcome here in NC. It is from my ex-employer.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:58 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
AARP is the largest association by membership in the US. It promotes a variety of insurance products and is paid a fee to do so.

One can find the same or compariable insurance products independent of AARP at the same or lesser premium.

The contractual relationship is between the insurer and insured parties.

In contrast, a large employer who subsidizes employee premiums guarantees a minimum annual payment to the insurer, regardless of the number of actual employees. Trade associations are not in the position of guaranteeing premiums to an insurer nor do they want to be a part of the contract between the insurer and insured.

It is uncertain how an association will be able to use the size of its membership to negotiate lower premiums when they cannot ensure their members will honor their payments. Unlike employers, a trade association is not involved in payroll or deductions. It's members are not obligated to continue membership.
I guess that Assoc. in Kansas figured out how to do it since 2010. Based on what was written in this thread.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:15 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's really more of a bigger issue in the north east where you have so many major medical centers so close.

My New Jersey friends want to go to New York City for their care.
I understand that. I live near the KC metro and I can’t use anything on the Missouri side with Kansas insurance. That’s ridiculous. If I remember correctly I won’t be insured in Wyondotte (KCKS) county either.

The US health insurance system is a complete disaster. I don’t believe the ACA improved the situation, at least for me it made the situation worse. Trump and the Republicans haven’t done anything expect allow me to be exempt, because that’s an awesome solution. Even pre-Obama it was obviously headed toward disaster and neither party did anything to fix our insurance problems.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is like saying that poor people can band together to get better prices on a Mercedes.

But the Trumpers bought it!
They're just obsessed with erasing anything to do with Obama

Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
44 states oppose it.

Insurers have not jumped on the bandwagon in the 6 states that do allow it.

Unless an insurer has a network of medical practices and hospitals, their patrons would be paying out of network rates, out of pocket.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Its funny, my retiree pre-Medicare coverage comes from NYS. It is quite welcome here in NC. It is from my ex-employer.
Some insurers offer multi- state plans in those states that permit insurers to do so. BCBS is one insurer that does so through it’s umbrella organization. The insured party can use defined BCBS network providers at in network reimbursement rates.

Not all plans are multi- state plans.

Then there’s emergency care. With the exception of Hawaii, life- threatening emergencies with be covered at in network rates, regardless of hospital.

This is not the same thing as selling insurance across state lines.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I guess that Assoc. in Kansas figured out how to do it since 2010. Based on what was written in this thread.
Do what?

It markets 3 BCBS ( of Kansas) plans at competitive rates to small business owners who are members.

“ Competitive” does not mean automatically cheaper.

It sounds similar to the AARP scheme whereby AARP markets certain insurance products ( auto, supplimental, life, property) to its members. Premiums are competitive those those found independent of AARP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies