Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, it's easier said then done....

I've heard stories, of a young girl telling another, "you no good, if I were you, I'd kill myself". And the girl did so.

Not this one, but that's only one situation I read.

You can sound off any legal policies you want, but in the end, kids are in fact getting away with it.

Remember the shooting at a Florida School. During the first rally a female classmate stood up and said, the reason this kid went on a shooting spree is b/c of all of you bullying him. I'm not excusing what he did by any means, but, they pushed him to do it...they were physical with him, and mean, she stated that no one sat with him at lunch...but the media doesn't delve into that, no, all they want to do is get rid of guns....

I remember when I was in school, we had special classes in the school for special handicapped kids. Our football team got together and sent her invitations to the prom....she sat there all by herself...all night....

Awful
I am from the UK and not the US.

In the UK what normaly happens is that firstly the school staff become involved and may discuss the matter wit the parents and pupils involved, then the Local Education Welfare Service become involved, and visit the families involved. If it still doesn't stop and involves harrassment and intimidation including name calling than the police can become involved.

Bullying at School - Gov.UK

In cases where a criminal offence is caused, the police will investigate and consuylt with the Crown Prosecution Service in relation to any possible prosecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 11:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I don't remember instilling in my kids a mentality of not being bothered by those that need to attack others to feel good about themselves. But I guess we just lived it.

Three boys, no problems ever with drama like that.

Girls do create more drama. My hate goes off to all you parents that survived having girls in middle and high school.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:42 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am from the UK and not the US.

In the UK what normaly happens is that firstly the school staff become involved and may discuss the matter wit the parents and pupils involved, then the Local Education Welfare Service become involved, and visit the families involved. If it still doesn't stop and involves harrassment and intimidation including name calling than the police can become involved.

Bullying at School - Gov.UK

In cases where a criminal offence is caused, the police will investigate and consuylt with the Crown Prosecution Service in relation to any possible prosecution.
That is excellent! They openly discourage it and took care of the problem....

Thank you for sharing! What your actually doing is training parents how to parent, which is what our country needs badly.

Things were much different years ago, I remember my mother telling me, that if I didn't go to school she'd have to pay a fine, and there would be hell to pay for me.....lol
and that's how it should be, by making parents responsible, straightens the problem out.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:46 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump is an example of a bully.
Maybe, but he's much less of a bully than those who preceded him in office and repeatedly used the US military to bully the world.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:46 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
That is excellent! They openly discourage it and took care of the problem....

Thank you for sharing! What your actually doing is training parents how to parent, which is what our country needs badly.

Things were much different years ago, I remember my mother telling me, that if I didn't go to school she'd have to pay a fine, and there would be hell to pay for me.....lol
and that's how it should be, by making parents responsible, straightens the problem out.
I like that. When you hit peoples pocketbook things seem to change.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't remember instilling in my kids a mentality of not being bothered by those that need to attack others to feel good about themselves. But I guess we just lived it.

Three boys, no problems ever with drama like that.

Girls do create more drama. My hate goes off to all you parents that survived having girls in middle and high school.

I grew up in a rough neighborhood, as did my parents. So it was part of life to be told that if someone Fs with you, then you kick their a$$ and mom/dad will stick up for you as long as you aren't the one that instigated the whole situation.

My parents and extended family (I have lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins in the vicinity growing up) also instilled in us that no one better not ever mess with any younger member of our family (cousins, brothers/sisters, younger aunts/uncles, even step family members). If they did then ALL of us better stick up for that relative. For instance, if a boy "bothered" me, then it was expected that one of my brothers or male cousins would beat their a$$ for me if needed. If a girl messed with my brothers or male cousins, we girls were expected to beat those girl's a$$ if needed. Due to us having this sort of "stick together" attitude, neither me nor my siblings nor many of my cousins, who were the nerds in the family were ever "bothered" too much by anyone at all. People knew that we were a "deep" family, meaning there would always be someone to come after you if you messed with any of us so we just didn't get bothered too much.

On social media today, I noted my son has had to deal with a "bossy" girl. I go through his phone and saw some messages, that honestly weren't all that bad, but that I didn't like - her telling my son what he was supposed to do or making these threats about her X if he didn't do Z. I saw that, screen shot it, snooped that girls social media, found out who her mother was and sent those pics with a message that she needed to watch what her daughter was doing on social media because some people don't take kindly to be bossed around like that. I also had some of my younger cousins (children of the cousins I grew up with who we stuck together as stated above) go tell that girl at school not to "bother" my son about what I did or she would regret it and if she or her mom had a problem with what I said to tell me to my face.

I don't play when it comes to any sort of threatening behavior in particular. I think too often people do make excuses for kids and adults in these situations. For me there is no excuse to be made.

It is good if you've never had to deal with a situation like this - I think I remember you saying you're Canadian and I don't live too far from Canada and have been there often and I think Canadian culture in general is just nicer and not as threatening as people in America can be. We are a pretty violent country and confrontational sort of people no matter what people want to admit. And I'm very glad that I was taught not to take any mess from people and to handle it and if needed get some back up to help me handle it. Having this sort of view and being calm/rational about these situations is what I believe has helped me to not be "bothered" or messed with too much and neither have my children. On the contrary, my husband was taught never to fight back or he would get in trouble and he says he literally was chased home from school and/or beat everyday in school and even harrassed by teachers at school and older kids. He doesn't "get" my mindset. I once told our son to punch a boy in the stomach really hard when he was 4 and some 7 year old was "bothering" him - hitting him actually - I told our son to hit him so hard in the stomach that that boy would throw up - he did. That boy didn't bother our son anymore and our son didn't even get in trouble but my husband was mad I told him to hit someone. I told my husband if your mom would have told you to beat the crap out of the first kid that bothered you, then you wouldn't have gotten chased home or beat up everyday of your childhood in school and that wasn't going to happen to our kid. Our kid had that one issue when he was 4 and this more recent one with the bossy/threatening teenage girl and that's that.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:15 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
How would you know? You listened to his show? How would he make something socially acceptable when his audience was a tiny percentage of the population? What are you talking about?
I'm talking about before you were born, probably.

He was the hottest thing on radio. People took their lunch breaks to listen to him. Early on, he had 20 +/- listeners a week.

It's not how many listeners, it's who listens. His listeners vote. And talk to people.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Maybe, but he's much less of a bully than those who preceded him in office and repeatedly used the US military to bully the world.
Trump was asked about his remarks about women during the debate.specifically, it was iterated he called women who disagreed with him “ fat pigs, dogs and disgusting animals”. Trump replied “ only Rosie O’ Donnelly”.

The base loved it.

Talk about tone at the top.

People don’t need encouragement.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Hmm. The school district, in a vaguely worded statement, denies that the allegations of ignoring bullying are true.

It will be interesting to follow this lawsuit.

https://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/..._of_mallo.html

Old 06-20-2018, 01:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
How would you know? You listened to his show? How would he make something socially acceptable when his audience was a tiny percentage of the population? What are you talking about?
Rush Limbaugh's audience a "tiny percentage" of the population?

He is the most listened to radio personality in the history of time. He's the top rated radio show every single year, counting number of listeners, since 1987.

Although he is a great big fat jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies