Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:04 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times

Advertisements

Starbucks best contribution to a community is being a public toilet.

That wouldn't be a place I'd go to drink coffee but its nice that the homeless have a place to take a dump besides the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 AM

20,869 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is what happens when you take an anti business stance . The liberal cities loss will be the Midwest and souths gain .
Huh? The cities in the South and Midwest they are likely to open new stores in are going to be as liberal as the ones they're closing stores in.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:30 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
(How does she keep her leadership roll, I will never know. She probably blackmails her colleagues.)
The reverse, she bribes them with donor money raised from the Bay Area.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:35 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It's the high density, high homeless area that Starbucks is pulling out of.
And likely there's another Starbucks a few blocks away from the location that's closing.

The company's business model is to open a boatload of locations, wait, and later close stores with the lowest sales in a specific radius.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Another thread on the same topic was created yesterday morning.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...me-stores.html

One of the posts makes reference to a comedy routine based on the reality of 2 Starbuck's, right across the street from eachother.

Big brands have a tendency to over saturate in some markets and then contract.

Walmart, Sam's, Target, HD, Lowes, McDonalds and so on have all over saturated some markets and eventually closed stores.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Starbucks also said high occupancy rates are causing issues with profitability.
In other words, the rent is too high.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Starbucks also said high occupancy rates are causing issues with profitability.
In other words, the rent is too high.
Landing a Starbucks is a commercial developer's dream. When a Starbucks moves in it tends to attract other businesses and causes rents to rise.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:17 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Another thread on the same topic was created yesterday morning.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...me-stores.html

One of the posts makes reference to a comedy routine based on the reality of 2 Starbuck's, right across the street from eachother.

Big brands have a tendency to over saturate in some markets and then contract.

Walmart, Sam's, Target, HD, Lowes, McDonalds and so on have all over saturated some markets and eventually closed stores.
Thanks for saving me the time of finding the link.
The thread yesterday explained how this is standard protocol for Starbucks. They'll open many stores, find the most profitable ones, and close the worst performers.

Obviously, that made it harder to blame it on liberals and minimum wage, so I guess we try again?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Landing a Starbucks is a commercial developer's dream. When a Starbucks moves in it tends to attract other businesses and causes rents to rise.
Yeah I guess it would suck if you opened near one of the Starbucks that is closing thinking it was going to help bring in more business and then it closes but you are stuck with a high lease .

I can’t imagine they’ll get something better or the same as Starbucks to move in .

I also wonder how much the theory works that Starbucks helps neighboring businesses . I remember there was a place in a center with a drive thru Starbucks and they had a petition to make them move the entrance of the drive thru because it was affecting their business .

Guess it would be interesting to see if neighboring businesses see an increase in business when a Starbucks moves in .

Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
This has very little to do with "left wing policies". Quite the opposite.

Most local restaurants can’t simply pick up and leave, but Starbucks and other large chains have more flexibility. Johnson said “it’s middle America and the South that presents an opportunity.”

A local business has no reason to close up and leave. Their business model is not dictated by Wall Street. The Starbucks in any certain city may still very well be profitable BUT not profitable enough for Wall Street investors. That is why they close.

Can you call Starbucks hypocritical over this? Sure, probably so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies