Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,069,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
To think ABC is owned by the House of Mouse, a company that has this image of being honest and family-friendly.
What they don't have is an image of being perfect and never, ever making a mistake. Honesty is acknowledging mistakes and apologizing for them.

We're still waiting for Fox News's apologies for all the things they've gotten wrong. Is it more honest to never acknowledge an error?

Old 06-21-2018, 11:48 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,433,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Wow, they are really self-destructing. No one will believe anything they say. So I hope they keep doing it.

ABC Retracts Reporting That Paul Manafort Pleaded Guilty To Manslaughter | The Daily Caller
So when is fake Trump going to admit to all the lies he has spouted from his mouth?

Old 06-21-2018, 11:49 AM

21,431 posts, read 7,390,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
He has a long way to go to catch the Clintons...
Fake news.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:50 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,433,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I thought lefty libs HATED FOX and would NEVER watch it. Guess not.
You mean like righty conservatives who constantly start new threads about CNN after watching it.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:50 AM

21,431 posts, read 7,390,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
A key feature of actual fake news is that they don't issue such corrections...
Exactly.

Fake news does not issue corrections. Anyone who hasn't figured that out is missing a few screws.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:20 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,729,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So this is my problem. with so-called retracts.
Was the retract reported as aggressively as the dishonest or inaccurate story that falsely accused the individual?
or
Was it a mumbled mention almost as an after thought?

I personally believe the media will use the retract to avoid being held accountable for blatant lies. They have an agenda and will use every tool they can.
What ever happened to responsible journalism? Journalist report the news not create it. We have v very little good journalism any more.

Well, you have asked a logical question, so let's look at it. If you have ever read the newspaper or any magazine, you will occasionally see a small box in there that will say something like "Correction: Yesterday, we printed blah blah blah, and incorrectly quoted the persons name as................, the correct name should be ...........". Humans make mistakes, that is why there are erasers on pencils.

Now, by that standard, when Donald Trump states something that is fact checked and found to be totally false, why does he not ever come out and say "I made a mistake"? More importantly, why do his followers never hold him to the same standard as they want news organizations to be held to ? We KNOW Trump will lie, but it is hard to understand why his followers accept those lies.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:49 AM

977 posts, read 562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
A key feature of actual fake news is that they don't issue such corrections...
That's a bit misleading. It's a different medium, but there have been many cases where a story has been run as a front page story in newspapers with big, bold headlines. Then, when the story turns out to be untrue, a retraction is run, usually on page 47 in small type near the bottom.

Sure, retractions were made, but I'd be willing to bet that the time spent dealing with the originally story and the amount of coverage it got dwarfed the time spent making the retraction. I'm reminded of the old Saturday Night Live sketch with Gilda Radner going off on a major rant for several minutes. Then once it's pointed out to her that she was confused about something that made the whole thing pointless, she'd just look blankly and say "Oh, never mind." That's the problem; the rant has already been made and many people have heard it. The "Oh, never mind" just doesn't carry quite the same weight as the original rant.

I miss the days when the media actually made sure that what they were reporting was true BEFORE they went to press with it or on air with it.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
That's a bit misleading. It's a different medium, but there have been many cases where a story has been run as a front page story in newspapers with big, bold headlines. Then, when the story turns out to be untrue, a retraction is run, usually on page 47 in small type near the bottom.

Sure, retractions were made, but I'd be willing to bet that the time spent dealing with the originally story and the amount of coverage it got dwarfed the time spent making the retraction. I'm reminded of the old Saturday Night Live sketch with Gilda Radner going off on a major rant for several minutes. Then once it's pointed out to her that she was confused about something that made the whole thing pointless, she'd just look blankly and say "Oh, never mind." That's the problem; the rant has already been made and many people have heard it. The "Oh, never mind" just doesn't carry quite the same weight as the original rant.

I miss the days when the media actually made sure that what they were reporting was true BEFORE they went to press with it or on air with it.
Mistakes were made then, mistakes are made now. If anything, the correction for something like this situation has gotten WAY more publicity than whatever number of people actually saw the chyron while it was being aired. The mistake itself became news.

Expecting perfection is foolish. Expecting mistakes to be corrected is journalism, and as noted, "fake news" doesn't bother to correct mistakes, in fact they frequently double down on them. That's also exactly what Trump does. He states a lie, he gets asked about it and he repeats the lie. I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about factually verifiable information. If you can find an example of ABC doubling down and repeating a lie once it's been acknowledged as false, then maybe your claim has some merit. Otherwise, I'd say that the legitimate media does try to make sure it's right before they go with something but will rectify the errors that do occur, and there were no days in the past where anything was done differently because there was no time in the past when humans were perfect and never made mistakes.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:12 AM

58,594 posts, read 26,908,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Mistakes were made then, mistakes are made now. If anything, the correction for something like this situation has gotten WAY more publicity than whatever number of people actually saw the chyron while it was being aired. The mistake itself became news.

Expecting perfection is foolish. Expecting mistakes to be corrected is journalism, and as noted, "fake news" doesn't bother to correct mistakes, in fact they frequently double down on them. That's also exactly what Trump does. He states a lie, he gets asked about it and he repeats the lie. I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about factually verifiable information. If you can find an example of ABC doubling down and repeating a lie once it's been acknowledged as false, then maybe your claim has some merit. Otherwise, I'd say that the legitimate media does try to make sure it's right before they go with something but will rectify the errors that do occur, and there were no days in the past where anything was done differently because there was no time in the past when humans were perfect and never made mistakes.

In Trump's 1st year in office ABC, along with NBC and CBS, had 90 PERCENT of its coverage of TRUMP was NEGATIVE.

After being caught the president of ABC came out and stated, "We have to be RIGHT, not first with our reporting." So even HE recognized in the zest to report "negative" things they did NOT verify the info.

It has been shown many times when the NY Times prints a negative story about Trump. the rest of the LSM reports on the SAME info WITHOUT verifying its accuracy.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:25 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,817,618 times
The light has come on and the roaches are scattering. There has always been fake news, it's just that there was no one to expose them for what they are.

Why do you think they want to control the internet and push the narrative that President Trump is all the ridiculous lies they can come up with? It worked for awhile but now they have become so radical and hysterical that the people have awakened and see them for what they are.

President Trump is speaking directly to the people and the fake news networks know that they no longer have the monopoly on what information gets out to the American people. It drives them more insane than they already are. He goes over their heads.
They knew when he was campaigning that things were about to change for the news media. Hence the intense pushing of nonstop negative news and trying to make Trump seem illegitimate. We are talking about serious control freaks who will stop at nothing to get what they want.

I will add that in my opinion ABC is the least fake of the networks. They at least are more subtle about their misleading questions.

Last edited by 4dognight; 06-23-2018 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies