Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
She doesn't though. She presents a caricature of people who she has utter contempt for but does not understand.
I offer my interpretation of attitudes I have observed. Those who read them are free to believe them or not. That some were exaggerated was quite intentional. Contempt? Not so much. Puzzlement comes a lot closer.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:46 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Well, the first thing to remember is that "The Graduate" was just that: a movie. It wasn't like that for everyone.

As for immigrants, illegal and otherwise, this problem has been brewing long before they became the topic of the day. For one thing, there are those attitudes I just described - they've been around for a long time. For another, there's been a steady drift away from supporting labor unions, even amongst those who would most benefit from membership.

Just now, I think that illegal immigrants are a convenient scapegoat. I do not support open borders, nor do I know anyone else who does. It's important do know who is coming into the country and why. The thing is, the people who are so eager to blame these illegals are, all too often, happy to wink at the businesses who hire them. Why do we not address that? Furthermore, why do we not address the issue of offshoring jobs? We could deport every single person in the country who came here illegally, and it still wouldn't change the fact that if you must dial a call center for help, chances are very good that the person who answers the phone will barely be able to speak English, beyond an obvious and poorly delivered script.

People want easy answers. Trump, with his Great Wall, is offering them. The thing is, easy answers are rarely the best answers. I understand some of the impulses that have caused so many people, particularly blue-collar people, to vote for him. The thing is, I think they are making a mistake by buying what he's selling. Slogans and catch-phrases may feel good, but they aren't solutions.
We'll have to be careful here, we're drifting off topic. But, really it's all part of the same problem. Paid holidays is just a part of it.

Sure, 'The Graduate' was just a movie. But, it was part of what America showed to the world as the ideal. The American Dream. Now of course. Benjamin Braddock didn't want to be a part of that dream, and I realised that, even as a 14 year old kid. Good music though.......

I think the problems right now in dealing with illegal immigrants is that many folks are just sick to the back teeth of it. Years of the problem getting worse. Didn't President Reagan say his amnesty would be the start of doing things different? I have talked with a few Americans about this. Once for hours on a flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas.......

I think it's about white Americans feeling they are being swamped, and will end up as a minority in America. Plus a feeling they are taking jobs Americans could do. Trump has awakened something quite unpleasant, but understandable at the same time.

You may as well just get that wall built. The Donald won't stop till he gets it.

I like how you stand up to veiled insults here. I recognise veiled insults, because I'm very good at them myself........

Back to paid time off, and how some here don't think Americans deserve it.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM

1,330 posts, read 698,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
If you choose to work less, then go for it. Don't legally mandate US workers to be less competitive.
It has nothing to do with being "competitive" Many US companies give full time employees 10 days (until you reach more senior levels). I'd imagine that many people take 3-4 of those days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Add in a few random days (kid is home sick from school, doctor appointments, HVAC guy fixing your furnace, etc) and you might be left with 3-4 days of actual vacation time. Time for what, a single extended weekend getaway? That's of course if you can get vacation approved.

Work-Life balance in the US is continuing to go downhill. No longer are we a 9-5 society. It's becoming 8-6 (or later for some professions, like accounting). Hours could be cut back, but that'd require larger headcounts, thus eating into company profits. Finding a place where you can take an entire week (or two?!) off in a row is becoming more and more rare. Running lean, it can be harder to cover when a coworker is out.

All for what? Stagnating wages? Increasing corporate profits?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,586,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It truly does Otto....... Sometimes, I can convince myself the English and Americans are very similar. We're not at all really....... we just talk the same language.

There is a thread at the moment about health care costs for 2018. I read it, and it truly does boggle my mind. The idea of paying all that money for health care astonishes me. We're talking huge amounts of money here.

But, this is America, and it is the way it is. We pay higher taxes in some ways sure, but it's swings and roundabouts........ we get healthcare included. I prefer it our way, than yours. I have an American friend who I speak to every day by e-mail. Her health care costs are a great concern for her, and although retired, fears for the future.

When working, I always went abroad to places like Greece and Spain twice a year. Tunisia before they started shooting the place up...... Now, I'm retired, and go abroad six times a year. Remember - there are no pockets in shrouds!! Take your holidays!!
Here is another mind boggle for you

Being "Jersey poor" where my income is above the national average but well below my county average makes me scrimp and do it very well. My wife was ill Saturday. We went to the local E clinic across from the hospital. They wanted to make sure my wife did not have walking pneumonia so wanted an X ray. Im bracing myself for the huge deductible... Not covered by my insurance, now Im very worried. Cash price $59. Yes 59 dollars. At the hospital uncovered would have been 5000 dollars++++++ as many X ray companies in hospitals will not join any networks and charge whatever they want. Same with anesthesiologists and Emergency room doctors, both of whom send all their unpaid bills to the courts in batches for them to be rubber stamped for wage garnishment when not paid.

The US is messed up completely. Ive been back billed by an E room doc who was there at 1045PM and shift change is 11PM. He never saw my wife but you have to pay as we would have to prove he did nothing in court, so even if he looked at a chart, he got $1300 for it. Nice racket to be in.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Here is another mind boggle for you

Being "Jersey poor" where my income is above the national average but well below my county average makes me scrimp and do it very well. My wife was ill Saturday. We went to the local E clinic across from the hospital. They wanted to make sure my wife did not have walking pneumonia so wanted an X ray. Im bracing myself for the huge deductible... Not covered by my insurance, now Im very worried. Cash price $59. Yes 59 dollars. At the hospital uncovered would have been 5000 dollars++++++ as many X ray companies in hospitals will not join any networks and charge whatever they want. Same with anesthesiologists and Emergency room doctors, both of whom send all their unpaid bills to the courts in batches for them to be rubber stamped for wage garnishment when not paid.

The US is messed up completely. Ive been back billed by an E room doc who was there at 1045PM and shift change is 11PM. He never saw my wife but you have to pay as we would have to prove he did nothing in court, so even if he looked at a chart, he got $1300 for it. Nice racket to be in.
This is what folks are getting so upset about in America. The ones with good coverage from their job, don't give a monkey's for those who don't. That's the truth of it. Ordinary people ruined financially by illness.

I got a letter last week, asking me to go up to the local health centre. When you get to my age, they send for you to take a look at your aorta. I didn't know what an aorta was........

I went up there yesterday, lay on the table, and a very nice nurse ran the same sort of equipment they use on pregnant women for an abdominal scan. She jelled my stomach, and pressed this thingy on me, and looked at a screen. After a few minutes, she said my aorta was just fine...... who knew?

I've also been sent for examination for bowel cancer. The NHS like to look after us old fellas. No charge. It's always free.

Sure, we pay higher taxes on gas than you guys, and higher sales tax. But, we get by just fine. It's worth it. No health worries, beyond getting whatever's wrong sorted out. I've seen the NHS up close all my life, and it is a fantastic organisation. Don't believe all the pony and trap your media spoon feeds ya.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and their taxes are not higher than certain U.S. states not mandating that."

Do some research and come back when you have the REAL FACTS.
It is true. I live and work in New Jersey and make average income. My income taxes are 32% just like it would have been in Sweden. I also pay $16,000 in property tax (would have been few hundred only in Sweden) and college debt (free in Sweden). I get health insurance from work but still pay out of pocket for many things.
I get 3 weeks of paid vacation, would have been double in Europe. I pay $1300 car insurance per year, would have been less than half in Sweden.

Don’t assume all Americans live in the South or Midwest.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,586,399 times
This thread rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Who is forcing americans to take all these terrible jobs?
Their landlord who will evict them for not paying if they dont have a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Sanjay the H1B from India never gets sick, has 5 years experience in the needful but is willing to work for entry level wages.

Do you have an equivalent to our H1B program in Britain? Our employers love it.
When looking for a job 5ish years ago, one potential employer told me he could get an Indian with a masters for 35K...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelateTransform View Post
The reason is freedom. Let employers and employees negotiate their own terms.
Free is for the rich and the top 10% by talent.

Quote:
Well, look on the bright side....... at least you live in the land of the free.

Free to go bankrupt from serious illness.
I know a guy who this happened to when his insurance capped at 1 million. "What the hell am I supposed to do with a $750K bill?"
Free to live in a tent when things go wrong.
Free to be looked down on by other Americans. "Oh is that all you do for a living?"
Free to be scared to death of each other.
Free to admire the rich.

Lots of other freedoms....... ermmmmmm...... free to tell me I'm wrong. But, deep inside, you know, when you lie in bed at night....... you know I'm right don't you?.........

To me, concerning workers rights, America seems to be going backwards. But at least the rich are getting richer huh? That's what matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
75% of Americans believe companies should be required by federal law to provide paid vacation. Only 17% disagree.

The problem is not that Americans dont want these things. Its that we are living in an oligarchy, where rule of wealth is the order of the day. Democracy means that the policies should reflect public opinion. But democracy is a threat to any system of power. So democracy must be undermined. The ruling donor class do not want labor rights, so naturally there will be no labor rights.
America's elite have learned that they can win 80% of the time by buying congress. Losing 20% of the time is not worth the drama of putting a bullet in someones head like North korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Yes, but we have a two party duopoly, both owned by Wall Street, that restrict voices and choices for the American people. Its designed that way. It starts with the wealth primary before the real primaries even begin. If a person does not have a truck load of money or promises to beg Wall Street for money, that person doesnt stand a chance in a federal election even if 99% of the people in the district support his or her policies.

If Wall Street and the ruling billionaire class doesnt want something, it cant be done in this system. The only way to overcome this is to rebuild the labor union movement. The strength of the labor union movements is the real difference between Europe and America. A lone ranger, the worker, up against a well-equipped platoon, the corporation, doesnt stand a chance.
See above

Quote:
This is what folks are getting so upset about in America. The ones with good coverage from their job, don't give a monkey's for those who don't. That's the truth of it. Ordinary people ruined financially by illness.

I got a letter last week, asking me to go up to the local health centre. When you get to my age, they send for you to take a look at your aorta. I didn't know what an aorta was........

I went up there yesterday, lay on the table, and a very nice nurse ran the same sort of equipment they use on pregnant women for an abdominal scan. She jelled my stomach, and pressed this thingy on me, and looked at a screen. After a few minutes, she said my aorta was just fine...... who knew?

I've also been sent for examination for bowel cancer. The NHS like to look after us old fellas. No charge. It's always free.

Sure, we pay higher taxes on gas than you guys, and higher sales tax. But, we get by just fine. It's worth it. No health worries, beyond getting whatever's wrong sorted out. I've seen the NHS up close all my life, and it is a fantastic organisation. Don't believe all the pony and trap your media spoon feeds ya.
I have "decent insurance" from my hospital but it is weird insurance and do care. Awesome for docs. Bad for drugs and X rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
It is true. I live and work in New Jersey and make average income. My income taxes are 32% just like it would have been in Sweden. I also pay $16,000 in property tax (would have been few hundred only in Sweden) and college debt (free in Sweden). I get health insurance from work but still pay out of pocket for many things.
I get 3 weeks of paid vacation, would have been double in Europe. I pay $1300 car insurance per year, would have been less than half in Sweden.

Dont forget about how cheap our utilities are. Oh, and ya gotta love heating oil heat...

Old 06-21-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:

My property taxes are $1500 a year. I don't pay income tax anymore, but the rate is 20% after a tax free amount of the first $300 earned per week. Plus national insurance, which is I think 11% after the same tax free amount. So after the first tax free $300, you pay 31% on the rest of your income. Higher earners pay more, I believe it's 40%. But, most workers pay the lower amount.

VAT on goods bought in shops is 20%. No payment on certain items like food, children's clothing and shoes, and other things. Don't ask me, I don't know...... Gas is about, lemme think, right now, just over $7 per imperial gallon, which is slightly larger than an American gallon. Yep, you read that right...... But, the roads are full of cars.

We don't have any other taxes, that's it. I guess that's enough isn't it? But folks manage just fine. Things like property taxes are much lower for low income folks like the retired. Some pay no property taxes at all.

Working people get all sorts of goodies if they're low income. Similar to some of the things I hear happen in America. More back in taxes than they have paid.

We have the NHS to look after our health needs. No matter how ill, or expensive the treatment, nobody pays for anything. Oh, some folks pay for prescriptions from the doctor. Right now, it's about $10 per item. But you can buy a three month season ticket for about $50, which covers all medicines for that period of time. Children, low income, and the over 60s don't pay anything for medicines. That includes me, but I rarely have anything wrong with me.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:45 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Quote:
why can’t we mandate paid vacation/holidays/sick days (PTO) & paid parental leave?
Capitalism.

But more seriously, they tried mandating things before. Remember health care? Much of that was fought back, for example, religious institutions didn't want to have to pay for birth control or something like that. And they'll quote some passage in the bible. Next time, they'll be quoting some passage in the bible that says that they want special exemption from mandated PTO because it is against their beliefs somehow.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:47 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:

Our healthcare costs a lot more than yours does, and changing it to be paid for with taxes won't change that. Couple that with open borders and a military that is around the world and soaking up expenses that other countries, including those in Europe, won't have to pay, and I'm not sure 100% taxation will pay for it all. The lefties will very condescendingly tell you that if we switch to "single payer" prices will come down but that has not been our experience with anything else our government has taken on for itself. Prices tend to go up, not down. "The case of the $500 hammer" may have a bit of myth and legend to it but it also has some truth to it as well.

If we ever close our borders and reign in our military maybe I'll be open to some discussion about how government run healthcare would work in this country. I know our system is pretty much broken at this point. You gotta remember though some of it was broken on purpose so that people would beg for the government to step in and save them. An Obama advisor even admitted as much and gloated that we were too stupid to catch on to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies