Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Because paid PTO becomes PPTO. Crashes the computers.
Hey... wait a minute... you just made that up, didn't you?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times
If you choose to work less, then go for it. Don't legally mandate US workers to be less competitive.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Paid parental leave, unfortunately, incentives women to have babies out of wedlock.
Incentives is a noun.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:34 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
I understand that America isn’t Europe, Canada, Australia or New Zealand; but why can’t we mandate paid vacation/holidays/sick days (PTO) & paid parental leave? Those countries seems to do fine and their taxes are not higher than certain U.S. states not mandating that.

American workers will be happier, be more productive and overall better society. 5 weeks of paid vacation annually and 1 year parental leave is paradise.

An example, fast food worker in Scandinavia earns much more than typical fast food American worker and receives full benefits and workers rights!
We can't mandate this because we value short term monetary interests over quality of life.

If more Americans understood how much of the Western World lives, we would demand the same.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:10 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
I retired when I was 55, but my last job I got six weeks paid holiday, plus eight days public holidays, like Easter and Christmas.

The least any British worker is entitled to by law, is four weeks paid holiday, plus the eight days paid public holidays.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:12 AM

It's like our healthcare system- in the U.S. we have more than enough resources to provide every single person with adequate healthcare. But we don't value quality of life. We care more that our billionaires can keep a few extra dollars.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:22 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
It's like our healthcare system- in the U.S. we have more than enough resources to provide every single person with adequate healthcare. But we don't value quality of life. We care more that our billionaires can keep a few extra dollars.
The American mentality is a strange one to me. I see folks in threads here in Politics boasting how many hours they work a week, and having three jobs seems to gain much admiration.

Americans may think they are free, but actually, they're slaves to the machine...... and like it that way.

You seem very concerned for employers, and how difficult life is for them. Workers on low wages - get back to school and get an education! If they can keep awake that is, after being exhausted just trying to survive while working.

Gotta keep working to pay for that healthcare! Just don't get really ill, or you could be bankrupted, and ruined.

I say this while I think Americans are great people. Nobody in the world I'd rather spend time with while on holiday. But, you have been brought up to admire the rich, and worry about them. I find it rather sweet, and endearing.

Last edited by English Dave; 06-21-2018 at 04:32 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 04:46 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
You would also have to change the culture. In the US, in many companies, anyone in mgt that takes all their vacation may well be passed over or even "laid off".

1 minor exception.

I would like to see a "blue law" forbidding general retail from opening on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanksgiving has already happened and I fear Christmas is soonish. Note it does not have to be PTO.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:52 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The American mentality is a strange one to me. I see folks in threads here in Politics boasting how many hours they work a week, and having three jobs seems to gain much admiration.

Americans may think they are free, but actually, they're slaves to the machine...... and like it that way.

You seem very concerned for employers, and how difficult life is for them. Workers on low wages - get back to school and get an education! If they can keep awake that is, after being exhausted just trying to survive while working.

Gotta keep working to pay for that healthcare! Just don't get really ill, or you could be bankrupted, and ruined.

I say this while I think Americans are great people. Nobody in the world I'd rather spend time with while on holiday. But, you have been brought up to admire the rich, and worry about them. I find it rather sweet, and endearing.
True. I have two jobs and do around 70-75 hours a week. Its not a choice. Job 2 has kept us out of bankruptcy. One does what one must. This gets me to around 75K which is high end poverty in New Jersey. It could be worse. I know multiple people with real degrees making half that in crappy jobs whose sin is aging over 40 or even worse, age 50.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

In the U.S., many consider it lazy, dishonest, or even criminal for workers to advocate for their own interests- particularly via a union. But they consider it brave and manly to stick up for the interests of downtrodden billionaires.

We wax philosophical on the hardships of the rich, while reviling the poor (even our own family members)... and support laws locking people up for the crime of not having money.

It's a sick culture here, awash in propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies