Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I didn't start a trump hater thread. I simply noted that trump did something and it's now having a negative impact on people who voted for him. It's ironic, and factual. If the facts of the situation don't match your preconceived idea and create cognitive dissonance for you or make you feel sad or angry, seek counselling.

Of little interest to Trump fans, they prefer false braggadocio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 01:28 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Have you always been a fan of trade wars.

Did you beg that Obama enter into one?
Obama was in won. He lost. Manufacturers left and went overseas or simply stopped manufacturing.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
I feel SOOOO bad that the Chinese can't buy their Mercedes. <end sarcasm>.
You all need to wake up. The US has been on the losing end of trade for DECADES, posting $28-$35 BILLION in trade deficit each MONTH with China alone. Think of the cost of "the wall" or what Warren Buffet paid for BNSF, squandered away in one month of totally lopsided trade with China.
In the short term, the "shake up" is going to hurt, there will be casualties and Chinese goods are going to cost more. In the long term though, Tariff's and tax breaks are going to allow the US to compete, and for many, the return of manufacturing is going to be like a country song played backwards...."got my job back, my house back, my truck back...."
On top of that, instead of the liberal tax program of increasing taxes on a shrinking tax base, we've dropped them to increase the advantage.
Example. Factory X has been closed for years, has no employee's, is not paying any taxes(35% of nothing is still nothing libs), can't complete with foreign makers of their widget. We impose a 25% tariff on the imported widget, and give Factory X a tax cut, and now they do the math and realize they can compete so they open their doors, hire workers, and pay taxes.
The "investment" has been made for this to happen in the form of policy. The "return" is coming in the form of a stronger economy and more jobs and opportunities are on the way now that the seed has been planted to make it profitable.

I like to equate the way trade was, like this. Lets say for decades, your neighbor has been opening his door into your car, dinging it, every morning, and you've been paying him to do it. He now feels entitled to that money, and now all the sudden you decide you aren't going to pay anymore, and are standing there with a baseball bat in the morning waiting for him to do it again....
Other countries have been enriching themselves with OUR money. We are buying far more from them than they are from us so what do we have to lose by reducing that? So...trade war? Bring it on.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:55 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Obama was in won. He lost. Manufacturers left and went overseas or simply stopped manufacturing.
It's all about the math. High taxes and cheaper import competition simply didn't make it feasible for companies to do business in the USA. Lower taxes and tariff's on import competition can make it work.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A strong economy is being messed with, and I think it will lead to problems a couple years out.

But economies are complicated so I'll just wait and see.

We've alienated most of our allies, and are proceeding to do so with the rest the world.

Obviously some people think that is great, and I don't get it.

With great power, comes great responsibility, but we are abusing our power now.

I'm not saying the issue with China should have been left, but we are like a bull in a china shop (pun intended).
Agree. There are issues and problems in terms of trade issues between the US and China - nobody denies that, but using a sledgehammer when a scalpel may be more appropriate isn't going to help.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
It's all about the math. High taxes and cheaper import competition simply didn't make it feasible for companies to do business in the USA. Lower taxes and tariff's on import competition can make it work.

And how do stagnant wages make it possible for people to pay the resulting higher prices on consumer goods?

Old 06-21-2018, 04:05 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I hope there are layoffs in those plants in Alabama as a result. That may sound harsh, but until these people are made to feel the effects of this buffoon they put in office, they will never get it. So, let's help them get there.
So what if it's harsh? This is war. Screw everyone who voted for that ignorant, fascist monster. When these trade wars turn into what they're going to turn into, I hope that every single person who voted for him loses their job or their farm. Every single one. I want every single one of them to get EXACTLY what they voted for, and to hell with every one of them.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:12 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Agree. There are issues and problems in terms of trade issues between the US and China - nobody denies that, but using a sledgehammer when a scalpel may be more appropriate isn't going to help.
You know who is using a scalpel? China.

Talked with a guy from the NC Dept. of Agriculture. He said the reciprocal tariffs are targeted.

NC is viewed as a purple state rather than a red one, so NC doesn't seem to be getting hit quite as hard as some of the red states. But it's a guessing game at this point.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 06-21-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 04:14 PM

For those who keep spreading the lie that Obama drove manufacturing off shore, if you are interested in the the truth, Google "Re-shoring."

"Manufacturers like Hessaire are part of a growing move to “re-shore” manufacturing jobs that were once lost to countries such as China and Mexico. The Reshoring Initiative, a group that focuses on bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S., estimates that between 2009 and 2016 more than 250,000 jobs were created or brought to the U.S. from other countries."

Why some manufacturers are returning to the U.S. | PBS NewsHour

Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM

Surprise. Surprise.
/
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1012787680793583616
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies