Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Oh my. Talk about rationalization!!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:10 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
She wore it when she departed and returned to Washington and changed into a yellow jacket when visiting the children in Texas. Sounds like she’s sending a message to the pathetic Washington media rather than the kids at the border.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL what's worse.
"Trolling"
Or falling for the trolling and looking for another insignificant/petty reason to validate emotional instability?
Why is it emotionally unstable to question why a figurehead would engage in teenage antics such as trolling?

Should we not expect more from our leaders than what Joey down the street sitting in mommy's basement does?

Old 06-22-2018, 06:13 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Oh my. Talk about rationalization!!
Only to someone who will never admit that the liberal media gets outsmarted again and again.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
She wore it when she departed and returned to Washington and changed into a yellow jacket when visiting the children in Texas. Sounds like she’s sending a message to the pathetic Washington media rather than the kids at the border.
If that's the case, it was a poor way to send a message.

Maybe...she can pen a special op-ed detailing her concerns about the media's treatment of her and her family instead? Nah. That would require a level of maturity and discretion this administration is sorely lacking.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:19 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why is it emotionally unstable to question why a figurehead would engage in teenage antics such as trolling?

Should we not expect more from our leaders than what Joey down the street sitting in mommy's basement does?
That isn't why we elected Trump

We're done with business as usual. It's a great time to be alive.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
LOL optics!

Oh noes the optics! Stop the presses! The sky is falling! Someone wore something that I have to dig long and hard to find offense in!

Oh noes anything but the optics!
Let me put on some tin foil to drum up a conspiracy in the name of social justice.

One of my employees has dread locks. Why would I have problems with dread locks?
Most of them have tattoos too. Why would I have an issue with tattoos?
Physical appearance doesn't dictate skill nor productivity.

Wait a second... don't you guys defend to the death the 1st amendment and freedom of speech/expression? Walking back on that stance now on the basis of optics? LOL
Absolutely. But we are responsible for our speech/expression. Melania now owns hers, I REALLY DON'T CARE. After her spox said there was no messaging in the jacket, her husband tweets that there was. This is not going away until Melania explains it. She herself has sullied her own reputation....only she can set the record straight. Yet....crickets.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Hardly. She made herself look so very bad.
Flipping the finger would be worse, although the text tends to send the same message.

Remember the cadet who wrote "communism wins" in his hat. It was not about the hat, it was about the message.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-22-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post

What's funny to me is that her spokesperson said it was "just a coat" and her Husband (You know, the POTUS) said it was a message to the media.

I suspect they are both lies, but you'd think such an accomplished liar as POTUS would at least be experienced enough to coordinate his lies with others before going public with them, but no.

The funny thing is that HE DOES NOT CARE. He doesn't care if you believe his lies or not, because he's going to stick with them until people give up, and he'll get away with it.

But let's not try to pretend that it was a message to the media. My guess is that she (all of them) just didn't think about it, and that's sad. My second guess is that it's a message to her pig of a husband, saying she doesn't care that he wants to use these innocent kids as pawns for his sick, fascist takeover, she's going to do what's right anyway, and stick up for the kids. (I'll give her this, she's got a record of not giving any F's about what POTUS thinks, and speaking her mind anyway.)

But drop the "it was a message to the press" schtick. That was Trump's feeble attempt at dodging yet another embarrassment from his own camp.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not just an "article of clothing", its the message the admin is sending. Isn't it obvious? Without the message the jacket would be meaningless.
The idea that she didn't wear it at the center directly because she didn't mean what the hurtful message on the back was is totally oblivious to the fact that the children themselves have no power to help/hurt Melania as Trump's messenger...
They can't vote, they have no money---they are just the excuse to wear the jacket in the first place-

And that callous disregard and selfishness really shows how little POTUS/FLOTUS (and their base) care about the people involved in this one-ups-man-ship game of power and give-me-my wall tantrum...

Melania has known about the world of fashion since before she same to the USA---she was involved in design in her home country--and she herself is European and thus MORE rather than less likely to know the history of the "house of Zara", plus she lived in NYC the epicenter for fashion in America for decades---
She can't claim she didn't know the message could prove devisive and derisive to those who saw it--
And the world saw it once it made the "news"
Wearing it was not a protest of "faux news"
Wearing it just created a tsunami of faux news and turned attention away from the entire purpose of the trip

Her communications director is a snipe and knew exactly how to set the cat among the pigeons--
And the media in this case played the pigeon perfectly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies