Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:11 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

straight people are only sexually attracted to straight people of the opposite gender. shocking.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-21-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nobody is asking you to have sex with them but rather to just treat them with the same consideration you should anyone else.

Your entire starting premise is a giant strawman argument.
evidently the study is pointing to asking you to have sex with them.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:16 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Nobody is asking you to have sex with them but rather to just treat them with the same consideration you should anyone else.

The study asked "would you date them?"

So it was specific to a certain activity, not generally "treating them with the same consideration you should anyone else."

Old 06-21-2018, 12:16 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes -- accepting and tolerating doesn't mean you have to date or marry them.

YIKES --
uhm... yea kinda is exactly that.

Here is a direct quote from the authors of the study:

This is the first study to ever attempt to quantify the extent of trans discrimination when it comes to romantic and sexual relationships.

The authors of the study find it to be "discriminating" when you don't date or marry a transgendered person.

discrimination.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:

You're overlooking what the survey claims to study:

"This is the first study to ever attempt to quantify the extent of trans discrimination when it comes to romantic and sexual relationships."

If we want to define it as trans discrimination when a heterosexual male or female won't consider choosing a trans male or female for a romantic or sexual relationship, I give up on the word 'discrimination.'

Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
uhm... yea kinda is exactly that.

Here is a direct quote from the authors of the study:

This is the first study to ever attempt to quantify the extent of trans discrimination when it comes to romantic and sexual relationships.

The authors of the study find it to be "discriminating" when you don't date or marry a transgendered person.

discrimination.
Yes, any time you choose one thing over another thing, you have indeed discriminated. Drink ice water instead of coffee, you just discriminated against coffee. Raisin Bran over Frosted Flakes? Yep, you just dissed Tony the Tiger. Discrimination happens constantly.

What these studies seek is some form of rent payment because of discrimination that is perfectly normal human selection of preferences. We want something to shriek about, so we will ask a question we already know the answer to and then shriek about the answer. Since I am happily married, I have effectively discriminated against every living human on Earth in favor of my wife, trans-people included. Apparently, according to these rent seekers, I a a bad man fo selecting my cisgender female wife.

In a purely hypothetical world, no, I would not date a transgender woman (used to be a dude). Transgender women aren't women, and I am a heterosexual male who only finds the real version of women sexually attractive, and transgenders are not the real version. They are a facsimile cobbled together with chemicals and surgery, and their "lady" parts are not real lady parts. I would treat anyone with the respect they deserve given how they treat me, but treating people with dignity and respect is wholly different than whether I would date them romantically. As I have said, only my wife meets that criteria.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The study asked "would you date them?"

So it was specific to a certain activity, not generally "treating them with the same consideration you should anyone else."
I was unclear, my comments were intended for the OP and not directed at the study.

The study is asking if you'd be interested, most wouldn't be.

Regardless of anyone elses views on the topic, nobody has to date someone they don't want to.

Treating others like you yourself would like to be treated is also not something people can force you to do but it's worth a shot in my book.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're overlooking what the survey claims to study:

"This is the first study to ever attempt to quantify the extent of trans discrimination when it comes to romantic and sexual relationships."

If we want to define it as trans discrimination when a heterosexual male or female won't consider choosing a trans male or female for a romantic or sexual relationship, I give up on the word 'discrimination.'
Fair enough, but I didn't read it as a bad kind of discrimination but rather in terms of fair discrimination since that is how dating works.

I've been discriminated against in my dating years for not being tall enough for one girl.

Insurance for example can be fairly discriminatory by charging higher rates to younger drivers or men, things that are legal in that area but illegal in other areas (like age or gender hiring discrimination).

Perhaps they are trying to shame people that don't want to date trans people but I interpreted it as a more scientific use of the word. I MAY BE WRONG THOUGH.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I was unclear, my comments were intended for the OP and not directed at the study.

The study is asking if you'd be interested, most wouldn't be.

Regardless of anyone elses views on the topic, nobody has to date someone they don't want to.

Treating others like you yourself would like to be treated is also not something people can force you to do but it's worth a shot in my book.
Understood.

Basically, the study is hamfisted rent seeking that starts with a flawed premise - transgender are equivalent to whatever gender they chose to become a facsimile of. They aren't.

So the real question being asked is "do you believe that when a transgender person eats the chemicals and has the surgery, they actually become the other gender?" 12% of those responding are biology morons or closet bisexuals.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Understood.

Basically, the study is hamfisted rent seeking that starts with a flawed premise - transgender are equivalent to whatever gender they chose to become a facsimile of. They aren't.

So the real question being asked is "do you believe that when a transgender person eats the chemicals and has the surgery, they actually become the other gender?" 12% of those responding are biology morons or closet bisexuals.
LOL

Not exactly handled with kid gloves but true and quite amusing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies