Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Democrats knew that the $15 minimum wage they pushed to get their uneducated base to vote for them
would end up costing the duped their jobs.

And here is robo burger flipper 2.0. zero pay,no health care, no overtime pay, no breaks, no sick days,
doesn't steal, works 24hrs with complaining, and he is tax deductible 24hr burger joint that's 3 humans kicked to the curbMAGAKAGA

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursu...t-the-bay-area

In 1979 I got $2.85 an hour to flip burgers and be the gopher at an autobody shop.
Minimum wage did go up to $3.10 soon after and I got a raise!!! WooHoo.
Today I average between $50-$300 an hour depending how I bid it.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Years ago, to program something like a CNC mill was very tedious, you had to write out machine code which could be tens of thousands of lines and then punch it onto tape, if you weren't mass producing thousands of parts it wasn't worth the effort. These days, using technology which even a relatively small shop can afford, you draw the part on screen and when satisfied it will write thousands of lines of code in seconds, making the production of even one part affordable.

From what I read, many robots like those which could be used to flip burgers can be programmed these days by moving their extremities through the motions you want them to do, they then write their own code.
Machine learning is still in the very first stages of concept. I kept hearing that I'd be out of a job by now but here I am 20 years later still programming. Many things we just can't offshore. They tried it here and they just couldn't learn the business.

Lot's of good programming jobs available now that pay pretty good.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:32 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Disgusting peasants who resent someone who makes $1/hour more than they do...

Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 5,432 times
I think the problem is that a lot of people think 15$ is alot because it seemed a lot when they were working in fast food as teenagers or something. We have to keep in mind that 8 dollars in 1990 is equivalent to 15$ today.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:39 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,682 times
Using robots to replace humans will continue to increase the colossal gap between the Haves and the Have Nots. At some point a threshold will be reached and we'll be faced with an insurmountable dilemma.

Profiteers in manufacturing replacing humans will most inevitably garner greater profits and increase their wealth. Meanwhile, displaced and unemployed laborers will walk the road of poverty.

I think now is time to completely restructure both our economy and our educational system. Let's prepare our youth for the future!

Old 06-21-2018, 02:40 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Machine learning is still in the very first stages of concept. I kept hearing that I'd be out of a job by now but here I am 20 years later still programming. Many things we just can't offshore. They tried it here and they just couldn't learn the business.

Lot's of good programming jobs available now that pay pretty good.

Really? I thought I'd seen something about programming robots, at least for simple tasks, by physically moving them through the motions, IIRC it was welding on an assembly line, maybe 15-20 years ago? I know not far from me there's a hospital doing robotic surgeries which sounds pretty interesting now, I don't know how I'd feel if it was me being cut.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Using robots to replace humans will continue to increase the colossal gap between the Haves and the Have Nots. At some point a threshold will be reached and we'll be faced with an insurmountable dilemma.

Profiteers in manufacturing replacing humans will most inevitably garner greater profits and increase their wealth. Meanwhile, displaced and unemployed laborers will walk the road of poverty.

I think now is time to completely restructure both our economy and our educational system. Let's prepare our youth for the future!

What do you think the future will be and how do we prepare for it? I grew up reading the Popular Science my Dad subscribed to and boy, do I feel like they misrepresented the future! I was sure I'd have an AeroCar or at least a jet-pack by now.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:44 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post

To do what? Programming a machine takes far fewer people than will be replaced.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:44 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domat View Post
I think the problem is that a lot of people think 15$ is alot because it seemed a lot when they were working in fast food as teenagers or something. We have to keep in mind that 8 dollars in 1990 is equivalent to 15$ today.
Yes, exactly.

I remember making $7/hr at McDonalds in 1998. And that was in a low cost podunk town in western PA. Adjusting for constant 2.5% inflation, that would be around $11/hr today. In a high cost area, $15/hr would be perfectly reasonable.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:57 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
As for pumping gas, back in early 1970s, all gas stations had attendants, even the 'cheap' stations (that only sold gas, no oil change, etc) had some guy that would pump your 25 cent per gallon gas.

Oddly, it was when gas got to around $1 per gallon, at least here in Texas, that 'self serve' stations began to crop up. Once you started having gas dispensers that accepted debit/credit cards, then it became the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies