Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times

Advertisements

People are proud of their heritage and that they have come to the U.S. from another nation for a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:01 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
When someone displays a cross on their necklace instead of a flag, do you say they are anti-American?

I know it's not exactly the same, but to say that someone is proud of their identity is not mutually exclusive of being proud to be joining and pursuing the American Dream.

Either you have been duped by, or you are part of those pushing the false narrative that you have to choose between your past and your future. There is room to be proud of both, without diminishing either.
If they wore it in a synagogue of mosque, yes.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
I live in Central Mexico and have owned a home here since 2008. Many of my neighbors have gone to the US, worked hard, saved money and returned to their homeland to start a business, build a house and/or start a family. On previous 4th of July's I have gone to parties hosted by MX nationals with the US flag displayed.

But last year...nada.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
I don’t give a damn about their flags. Geez...can some of you be any more picayune?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua
What awesome sports have the Mexicans invented?

I don't know for sure, but I think pole vaulting

Me: Does tunnel digging count?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Why do the Italians do it in little Italy, why the Germans do it in Milwaukee, why do the Norwegians do it on Deadliest Catch, etc., etc.. The real and non-racist question is why do you only have an issue with brown people doing it?
Good question.

Why is there still a need for a St. Patrick's Day parade every year?
Why are so many signs (still) in German in Fredericksburg, TX?

Things that make you go "hmmm..."

Anyway, I've not seen a single person present themselves to border patrol carrying a flag.

Perhaps the OP could provide some illustrations of these "offenses," otherwise I call BS.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Maybe, just maybe, because there are 10 million illegals in this country and VAST majority are from Mexico.

Most Italians, Germans and Norwegians are LEGAL immigrants.

How naive do you have to be, really? Any excuse to play the race card.
Ah, so legal immigrants don't have to assimilate.

Got it.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
About 20 years ago I went to a Brazilian rodeo in a small city in Massachusetts and it was an eye opener. The national anthem was played and the largely perhaps 90% Brazilian crowd ignored it and went about their business but when they played the anthem of Brazil they all stopped what they were doing to sing along with great gusto and wave their flags.

I was left to wonder if they have such little respect for America but a great love for their home country then why did they leave Brazil?

My wife immigrated from Ireland many years ago. She loves her homeland and we go back as often as we can to visit her family but she loves and respects America just as much. She thinks it is terrible what is going on at the border and worse that the illegal aliens are making demands for rights and that some politicians listen to them over legal immigrants and citizens.

It is Ok to come to America because it is immigrants that helped to make it great but it is not Ok when your first act upon entering is to break the law by entering illegally. It is also Ok to love the country you are from but you should also love your new adopted country just as much.
You mean like the 90% of Americans attending sporting events who choose to go to get refreshments, go to the bathroom, etc. while the National Anthem is playing?

Like that?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:30 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,521,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I don't know for sure, but I think pole vaulting
Running, swimming and rock throwing...the Mexican triathalon.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I've spoken about this often. It drives me crazy. Illegal immigrant Mexican families are so proud of their nationality and will wave their flag, but they fight to be able to stay in the United States, and it's cruel to even suggest that they go back to the country that they are so proud of.
Best post today! Ain't it the truth? Ain't it the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies