Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:05 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Prison rape is extremely uncommon nowadays. That stuff is from the old dinosaur days. There are enough gay prisoners in the typical fed or state prison to ward that stuff off.
I am curious about your logic. How do the gay prisoners ward off rape? You do realize that rape in a prison setting is often for power or for punishment, not just sexual gratification.

I have never been to jail let alone prison but anecdotal stories I have heard from those that have seems to indicate it does go on and it's not extremely rare. You have to fight and will probably get beat up a lot and get in with a group to for protection. Even with all that you still might get raped.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:27 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
A huge problem, but men are the main victims.....so no huge movement to stop it and many people think it is funny and justified.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Prison rape is extremely uncommon nowadays. That stuff is from the old dinosaur days. There are enough gay prisoners in the typical fed or state prison to ward that stuff off.

Of course bullying is common, and a tougher guy might overpower a weaker inmate by extorting him for commissary or having his family send the bully money. That’s never gonna end.

But rapes for the most part are a relic from the old days. Few and far in between.
I beg to differ. It does happen but unless they are caught in the act or a complaint is made (which rarely happens) then it goes unpunished due to lack of evidence. The inmates go to great lengths to hide it. It is difficult to control bad behavior unless they are in a segregated housing unit, and lower security prisons have much more inmate movement during the day and night which increases the illegal activities. Protective custody is an option that staff use if it is suspected egregious behavior against an inmate is happening but the inmate has to be willing to do it. An inmate is threatened with severe consequences or death for ratting out others.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Not true. It is very common.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:57 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Let's not forget that there are plenty of men wrongfully of convicted sex crimes and they might be prison raped themselves.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I have no love for criminals and people in prisons/jails, but I also don't think someone that's busted for petty crimes or things like theft or drug addiction, deserve to be brutally raped day in and day out for years.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:23 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
There is one sure fire way to avoid being sexually assaulted in prison and this to not to do something to get yourself thrown into prison.

This dude is really sick. Probably screwed his ex's head up for life. The prison system is a big waste of money as it is but each inmate gets a private room? I am fine with all prisoners being in solitary if you want to go that route. They leave the room only when and if they get released from prison. It would cut down on all the illegal stuff going on and the inmates would be safer. Its not the Holiday Inn its hard time.

Regarding this dude. Karma. I have no sympathy.
Unless you are falsely accused or get taken into jail via mistaken identity while awaiting trial.....

Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,399 times
Default Does prison rape occur often in American prisons?

One of my relatives who lives in OC, California is probably going to go to jail/prison after forging a prescription and getting caught. He's wondering if all the horror stories about prison rape in male prisons are true.

I heard that this is just a scare story to prevent people from going to prison while I heard others say it's true but seldom happens because prison wardens prevent that. The other opinion I heard was that it's a "mixture" in the sense that it's consensual but usually is coerced.

Do you think this is something that should be remedied? I actually live in both UK and Ireland so I think our prisons are slightly less violent than American ones. Scandanavian ones tend to rank well but then again is a "good" prison really good?

Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
One of my relatives who lives in OC, California is probably going to go to jail/prison after forging a prescription and getting caught. He's wondering if all the horror stories about prison rape in male prisons are true.

I heard that this is just a scare story to prevent people from going to prison while I heard others say it's true but seldom happens because prison wardens prevent that. The other opinion I heard was that it's a "mixture" in the sense that it's consensual but usually is coerced.

Do you think this is something that should be remedied? I actually live in both UK and Ireland so I think our prisons are slightly less violent than American ones. Scandanavian ones tend to rank well but then again is a "good" prison really good?
Not often enough. If one is disinclined towards being the recipient of such activities, then they shouldn't do things that put them into the situation.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:52 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
As you can see by Workin_Hard's reply above - don't expect many helpful replies in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies