Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 11:46 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,264,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's not her sexual orientation that got her suspended, but it was her showing the picture of her girlfriend to students.

Which begs the question, would she have been suspended if she was straight and showed a picture of her husband and kids to students (or a male teacher showing pictures of his wife)? Probably not.

But it is what it is. Courts are split on whether Title VII extends to sexual orientation, but 22 states do offer statutes and legislation that clearly protect against discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Teacher suspended for being gay: How this is legal in 28 states | Fox News

The school district knew she was a lesbian - she was not suspended because of that.
She was not suspended because she showed a "family picture" of her and her girl friend/wife ..... which puzzles me because Gay Marriage has not passed in Texas to my knowledge. I guess you can call anyone your "wife, husband" or whatever, but that doesn't make it so.

This "case" is almost a year old - it began in August of 2017 (right after school began) and she was suspended with pay in September of 2017.

Mansfield teacher suspended for discussing her sexual orientation with students, officials say |Dallas Morning News
[i][color]The statement said Bailey was not suspended over her request to include LGBTQ language in the district’s nondiscrimation policy, but rather due to the district’s concern that Bailey “insists that it is her right and that it is age appropriate for her to have ongoing discussions with elementary-aged students about her own sexual orientation, the sexual orientation of artists, and their relationships with other gay artists.”

In the statement the district contended that “parents have the right to control the conversation with their children, especially as it relates to religion, politics, sex/sexual orientation, etc.”
The statement later says that MISD administrators met with Bailey more than once after receiving complaints from parents but that “Ms. Bailey refused to follow administration’s directions regarding age-appropriate conversation with students.”

Local News (Dallas & Fort Worth) plus the letters, emails from the Mansfield Independent School District are clear -- Stacy Bailey refused to follow school policy in the Elementary School and refused to adhere to clear instructions from the School Principal and School Board. She is the Art Teacher for the entire school - grades K (age age 5) to grade 6 (age 12) - Ms Bailey's contention is that SHE has "right" to decide what is age appropriate to teach children about sex, sexual identity and relationships. She want a Gay-Straight Alliance in her Elementary School and has made moves to establish one. She didn't just "show a picture" - she showed a slide show.

In the normal course of events -- I would "go to bat" for this teacher, just as I have for other teachers over the years. When I say "go to bat" - I've done things like show up at meetings with a large support group for the teacher when somebody was attempting to get them fired due to bias. I've gone to the Superintendent, gone to school board meetings, met with principals. 3 different cases, success in 2 of the 3.

I would NOT "go to bat" for a teacher who insisted she had more RIGHTS over a 3rd grader than his/her Parents do. She got an entire year off WITH PAY - she was not fired at the end of the school year for refusing to follow School Policy - she was reassigned to a Secondary School (Middle School) - she immediately filed a Lawsuit in May 2018. The School District has treated her with Kid Gloves - a year's pay with no work, they didn't fire her ..... the School District's "crime" appears to be that they won't allow an Art Teacher Social Justice Warrior Activist to have more RIGHTS over children age 5-11 than their Parents have.

I get called for Jury Duty a lot ..... perhaps I will get a call on this case. Thanks for bringing it my attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraLover View Post
Yes but that was decades ago. It is not acceptable, and unprofessional, to post photos of your family on a desk loaned to you for the purpose of work. Otherwise you could have one man with a dozen wives (think Utah) or someone married to a serial killer, it's just bad form all the way around. Totally unprofessional. Not about us when we are Teachers, it's about the students education
What are you on about?

Old 06-23-2018, 12:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

The school district knew she was a lesbian - she was not suspended because of that.
She was not suspended because she showed a "family picture" of her and her girl friend/wife ..... which puzzles me because Gay Marriage has not passed in Texas to my knowledge. I guess you can call anyone your "wife, husband" or whatever, but that doesn't make it so.

This "case" is almost a year old - it began in August of 2017 (right after school began) and she was suspended with pay in September of 2017.

Mansfield teacher suspended for discussing her sexual orientation with students, officials say |Dallas Morning News
[i][color]The statement said Bailey was not suspended over her request to include LGBTQ language in the district’s nondiscrimation policy, but rather due to the district’s concern that Bailey “insists that it is her right and that it is age appropriate for her to have ongoing discussions with elementary-aged students about her own sexual orientation, the sexual orientation of artists, and their relationships with other gay artists.”

In the statement the district contended that “parents have the right to control the conversation with their children, especially as it relates to religion, politics, sex/sexual orientation, etc.”
The statement later says that MISD administrators met with Bailey more than once after receiving complaints from parents but that “Ms. Bailey refused to follow administration’s directions regarding age-appropriate conversation with students.”

Local News (Dallas & Fort Worth) plus the letters, emails from the Mansfield Independent School District are clear -- Stacy Bailey refused to follow school policy in the Elementary School and refused to adhere to clear instructions from the School Principal and School Board. She is the Art Teacher for the entire school - grades K (age age 5) to grade 6 (age 12) - Ms Bailey's contention is that SHE has "right" to decide what is age appropriate to teach children about sex, sexual identity and relationships. She want a Gay-Straight Alliance in her Elementary School and has made moves to establish one. She didn't just "show a picture" - she showed a slide show.

In the normal course of events -- I would "go to bat" for this teacher, just as I have for other teachers over the years. When I say "go to bat" - I've done things like show up at meetings with a large support group for the teacher when somebody was attempting to get them fired due to bias. I've gone to the Superintendent, gone to school board meetings, met with principals. 3 different cases, success in 2 of the 3.

I would NOT "go to bat" for a teacher who insisted she had more RIGHTS over a 3rd grader than his/her Parents do. She got an entire year off WITH PAY - she was not fired at the end of the school year for refusing to follow School Policy - she was reassigned to a Secondary School (Middle School) - she immediately filed a Lawsuit in May 2018. The School District has treated her with Kid Gloves - a year's pay with no work, they didn't fire her ..... the School District's "crime" appears to be that they won't allow an Art Teacher Social Justice Warrior Activist to have more RIGHTS over children age 5-11 than their Parents have.

I get called for Jury Duty a lot ..... perhaps I will get a call on this case. Thanks for bringing it my attention.
Thanks for filling in the blanks regarding the fact that this is took place in an elementary school and that the teacher was also trying to start a straight-gay alliance, what with FIVE YEAR OLDS????

Wonder why MSM FOX didn't include this in their report?

Old 06-23-2018, 12:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What conservatives make-up when things don't suit their agenda.
Have you taken a recent look at what liberals, students and teachers are up to? Yeah, I made it up. Someone has blinders on.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:42 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Have you taken a recent look at what liberals, students and teachers are up to? Yeah, I made it up. Someone has blinders on.
And you've supplied nothing factual in support of your opinion.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:56 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And you've supplied nothing factual in support of your opinion.
Promoting transgenderism to kindergartners? Where have YOU been? Everyone is aware of this.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Promoting transgenderism to kindergartners? Where have YOU been? Everyone is aware of this.
As I said, nothing factual supplied.

So how about a link to a credible source documenting this alleged promotion of transgenderism to kindergartners?

Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Damn gay people showing pictures of thier SO to thier students, off with thier heads!!!

Old 06-23-2018, 01:10 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
In almost three decades worth of teaching in a classroom I never showed a picture of my husband to my students. When I worked outside of the actual classroom I had a picture of him on my various desks, but never on a classroom desk. Most teachers don’t.

It is a matter of professionalism. I didn’t discuss my marriage other than to answer if asked if I was married if directly asked, anything else was avoided by changing the subject. This included not discussing the gender of my spouse, not how long I had been married, not his job, not his age, not his race - nothing. I seldom discussed my kids. You don’t know what kind of home your students live in or what might create discomfort for them. Teachers and students do not have peer relationships, oversharing personal information can be a real problem for some teachers who fail to grasp the importance of maintaining proper boundaries.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:15 PM

34,021 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
She should have kept her proclivities to herself.

Teach the curriculum only.

Its not rocket science.

Leave your agenda at home.

Every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies