Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:40 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Blame the people at Fox. It was their headline.
What's even weirder is that the headline is an MSNBC-type headline. Not FOX.

The story supports the fact that the teacher was in the wrong and that the school met with her numerous times about her behavior, which she refused to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 06:59 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

The school district knew she was a lesbian - she was not suspended because of that.
She was not suspended because she showed a "family picture" of her and her girl friend/wife ..... which puzzles me because Gay Marriage has not passed in Texas to my knowledge. I guess you can call anyone your "wife, husband" or whatever, but that doesn't make it so.

This "case" is almost a year old - it began in August of 2017 (right after school began) and she was suspended with pay in September of 2017.

Mansfield teacher suspended for discussing her sexual orientation with students, officials say |Dallas Morning News
[i][color]The statement said Bailey was not suspended over her request to include LGBTQ language in the district’s nondiscrimation policy, but rather due to the district’s concern that Bailey “insists that it is her right and that it is age appropriate for her to have ongoing discussions with elementary-aged students about her own sexual orientation, the sexual orientation of artists, and their relationships with other gay artists.”

In the statement the district contended that “parents have the right to control the conversation with their children, especially as it relates to religion, politics, sex/sexual orientation, etc.”
The statement later says that MISD administrators met with Bailey more than once after receiving complaints from parents but that “Ms. Bailey refused to follow administration’s directions regarding age-appropriate conversation with students.”

Local News (Dallas & Fort Worth) plus the letters, emails from the Mansfield Independent School District are clear -- Stacy Bailey refused to follow school policy in the Elementary School and refused to adhere to clear instructions from the School Principal and School Board. She is the Art Teacher for the entire school - grades K (age age 5) to grade 6 (age 12) - Ms Bailey's contention is that SHE has "right" to decide what is age appropriate to teach children about sex, sexual identity and relationships. She want a Gay-Straight Alliance in her Elementary School and has made moves to establish one. She didn't just "show a picture" - she showed a slide show.

In the normal course of events -- I would "go to bat" for this teacher, just as I have for other teachers over the years. When I say "go to bat" - I've done things like show up at meetings with a large support group for the teacher when somebody was attempting to get them fired due to bias. I've gone to the Superintendent, gone to school board meetings, met with principals. 3 different cases, success in 2 of the 3.

I would NOT "go to bat" for a teacher who insisted she had more RIGHTS over a 3rd grader than his/her Parents do. She got an entire year off WITH PAY - she was not fired at the end of the school year for refusing to follow School Policy - she was reassigned to a Secondary School (Middle School) - she immediately filed a Lawsuit in May 2018. The School District has treated her with Kid Gloves - a year's pay with no work, they didn't fire her ..... the School District's "crime" appears to be that they won't allow an Art Teacher Social Justice Warrior Activist to have more RIGHTS over children age 5-11 than their Parents have.

I get called for Jury Duty a lot ..... perhaps I will get a call on this case. Thanks for bringing it my attention.
Same-sex marriage is legal in Texas & all other US states per the US Supreme Court ruling of Obergefell v. Hodges on June 26, 2015.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:29 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This is why I work from home. Nobody can see my pictures of Hitler and Stalin on my desk.

Together?! I didn't know they got down like that! Kinky!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:33 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
An elementary school class is not the place for a family scrapbook slide show. It might be unfair that she would not have been punished had she been straight. But it’s up to Texas to make such laws, or she can move to a state that offers them.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Together?! I didn't know they got down like that! Kinky!
You're terrible.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:54 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Update.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/2020...-23934938.html

Quote:
A Texas teacher who was suspended after showing a personal photo to her class is now being awarded $100,000 as part of a discrimination lawsuit.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:09 PM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As I said, nothing factual supplied.

So how about a link to a credible source documenting this alleged promotion of transgenderism to kindergartners?
I think you are nit-picking about definition of "promoting". Anyway, here are two links that discuss what is going on in at least one school district (Madison, WI). If you disagree that this policy is "promoting" transgenderism, well, of course, that is your right.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/02/20...der-dysphoria/

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/M...567968811.html

P.S. On Edit: Well, I just checked and the first link is no longer available. "Page Not Found". But it went into great detail about how the school district is actually deceiving parents if they suspect a child is transgendered. There was a long discussion about it on a thread on CD. https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...t-lawsuit.html

Last edited by katharsis; 02-26-2020 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
There is no protection for sexual orientation in Title VII. There have been many bills introduced in Congress to change that, but the members of Congress of both political parties have repeatedly declined to pass any of them.

Quote:
"...in many states, a person could marry someone of the same gender and then get fired for being gay. "Most states have no nondiscrimination protections for LGBT people," says David Stacy, government affairs director for the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay-rights group. "With limited or no federal protections, an LGBT person can get legally married in most states, but then be evicted from an apartment and denied a home loan."
Did You Know It's Legal In Most States To Discriminate Against LGBT People? : NPR

Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's not her sexual orientation that got her suspended, but it was her showing the picture of her girlfriend to students.

Which begs the question, would she have been suspended if she was straight and showed a picture of her husband and kids to students (or a male teacher showing pictures of his wife)? Probably not.

But it is what it is. Courts are split on whether Title VII extends to sexual orientation, but 22 states do offer statutes and legislation that clearly protect against discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Teacher suspended for being gay: How this is legal in 28 states | Fox News
Bowing to the religion of peace, liberals cater to their intolerance.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:31 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Yet you're probably fine with public schools pushing fundamentalist Christianity and creationism.
List all the public schools that have Fundamentalist Christianity and creationism as part of their curriculum.

Go ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies