Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Would you be paying for those anyways? No one is suggesting, least of all Trump, that troop levels would be reduced. So, your point is moot.

What? Where do you grab this bit of fantasy from?

NATO was formed with the premise that the US share would be higher. But sure, let's have the US leave NATO. Immediately what will happen? You can deal with Afghanistan alone, as NATO is no longer interested in being the lead force there. Fill your boots. NATO will stop training Iraqi soldiers... the USA can do that alone, and you already know how well the USA is liked there. Want to endanger NORAD? Leave NATO. Want to endanger the Five Eyes agreement? Leave NATO. Think Britain will allow you a forward base where nuclear deterrents are housed? Leave NATO. Think you can still carry on cruise missile tests and flights similar to Russian terrain? Leave NATO, because Canada just may step back from that.

You see, it's not a one way street. What you think is American exceptionalism will erode very, very quickly, and all of a sudden you may be facing the world alone. Think Canada would be as receptive to opening its borders to all those planes that were diverted on 9/11? Maybe, but maybe not. So, then it becomes your problem to deal with. What are you going to do? Let them land in the US or crash? Or shoot them down.

You see, the world is a much more complex situation than simple minds want to see. Trump has trouble understanding complexities and realities of the international situation.

I don't wish any of this on my American friends and neighbors, and I hope cooler heads can prevail. Your Senate understands this, and has passed a motion of support for NATO 97-2.

Those are cooler heads.
Its unfortunate that some can't think beyond their vanity and self greed, and egotist illusions, to know that the world is far bigger and far more complex than a self focused vain mind can encompass. The arrogance that has grown from the fictional over emphasis on the World War II Victory, is beyond insidious. When that was an ALLIED VICTORY... not an American stand alone victory. The position America had post World War II... does not exist today in the industrial dominance, because the point was to help rebuild what was destroyed and to work out agreements that helped that process.

Other nations are not the blame for American Greed !!! The Baby Boomers got by for decades on bully talk and a mass of limited educational awareness to the changing world. Then their offspring's were groomed to think "material measure as being the basis of success" and they became willing to dismantle and sell anything and everything for short term profit to feed the material vanity they were groomed to chase. Almost every Legacy Industry has been stripped down to a skeleton, and what they did not strip and rip, they outsources and what they could not outsource they sold to foreign entities... so they could run home and ride a pride driven egomania about how material consumed they were, and how much money they could hoard.

Absolutely no sense that American Currency is a National Security Instrument, that has a principle to make economic viability possible among the citizen population. Which means, when ever the wealthy gain, so "should" the people, because it is people that must have economic elevation when the top wealthy have economic elevation to sustain stability across the nation of economic function.
That is not only a hedge against many things, it is a method to stabilize the monetary system and all that the monetary system supports, which is directly related to the standard and quality of life of the citizen population. When Tax was reduced, with no mandate to invest in America, the wealthy began massively hiding money offshore and creating every type of sham and scam to hoard money. Result: we have a fast eroding nation of infrastructures, cities and citizens communities spreading across the nation, making massive ghetto not just in the cities, but the rural sectors as well.

But... MANY don't even remotely understand that, all some know is "worship the wealthy" and then fall gullible prey to anything the wealthy utter.

We had and still have a mass of people, who will run into an investment firm, and stand there and be ignorant enough to tell the people "Well, I don't know much about investments", while forking over their money, unaware they are asking to be fleeced !!!! As they say, "A fool and his money is soon parted"

The foolish and uneducated have supported a system for the fleecing of even themselves, but they are too unaware, foolish and too filled of gullibility to even know it. All they know is worship the wealthy and if a white man in a suit said it; they swallow a baited and un-baited hook, with the same willing open mouth... and they are continually caught like fish.

Every 4-6 yrs, especially during and within a Republican Administration, They are Fleeced, with looted pensions, and any equity they have is eroded, and the stock markets take a dive and wipe out the unaware as the wealthy know exactly how to time "profit taking" and center the wealth right back into the hands of the wealthy. But no one can awaken a fool who chooses to seek slumber in foolishness and then bask with glee, while doing so. Only to awaken and find out, they are further behind than they were a decade earlier.

How many late 70's and some in the 80's age range of people do we see now filling various jobs in the workforce, that once use to be filled by young people who were just starting out. They found out, their pensions were looted, or under funded, and the age kicked up on collecting Social Security since the Reagan Era... Companies fleeced people once they convinced ignorant people to back the busting of Unions, and then the Pensions vanished and they hoodwinked people to accept 401k, with a game, of first a dollar match, then less and less until now, the company contributes "$0"..... The people who still get their company paid pensions, is the "Executives' !!! the average workers gets "NOTHING"... and their benefit have been stripped.

People are too uneducated to know, that during strong Unions, health care cost was lower, because the pool of people covered by Union Negotiated Medical Coverage was in the Millions and 10's of millions, but when that was taken away, it was of design for the Medical Insurance cost to go up, because there was no more Job sponsored coverage that Insurance companies could count on.
"Generalized Collective Ignorance" will destroy anything !!! These same people still today, run around and regurgitate exactly what the wealthy tell them to regurgitate... claiming companies can't make it, when today, Companies count their profits in $ Billions, while the national Minimum wage is $7.xx and any jobs under $15 can't even afford the person cost of insurance and certainly can't handle the co-payment for the better coverage plan. There is no more massive union membership to support Unionized agreement for medical coverage. ACA tried to fix that mess for sustainability, but Republican fought it and still fight it, and the mass of the ignorant can't figure out anything, for listening to republican madness, as now republicans do all they can to have cost escalate, while trying to strip away even Medicare and Medicaid... because to the wealthy, the aged and the children don't generate profit for them, so their aims is to "let them die out".

Eventually this groups of Baby Boomers and the First & Second Generation of Offspring they produced will vanish, and Republican have their say, it will be sooner than later. But what the Republican don't get is, the newer generations are aware of the game and will not be puppets to the Republican's obsession of pandering to the wealthy at the expense of the people. Already, young kids at an earlier age, are far more knowledgeable than people were at the relative age 50 yrs ago... We have a newer generation who is becoming fast aware that "materialism is not what one need to base their life upon"... Even the university grads, are finding they have been fleeced, with massive 6 figure debt, where they can't even start a family or buy a home. They are far wiser to the game of fleecing that has been done to them, and the near worthless get a job certificates they have been sold, when they find out, they have not been taught transferable skills or even knowledge levels that is transferable.

People like Trump is a fast dying breed... and as the bible said:
Proverbs 20:21
An inheritance gained hastily in the beginning will not be blessed in the end.

Its all happened before... Where today is the Titan's of the past? Generations after generations squandered it, trying to live in fictional opulence.... and wind up selling everything for short term gain, to try and sustain their vanity.

Look at Elvis's Daughter, just blew through over $100 million and now crying despair. That's only one example but there are many many many more.... who did the same.

1950's,1960's and 1970's Americal thought it would never run into monetary issues as it has, and back then, China was considered "dirt poor".... yet today. China has 9 times more Millionaires than a decade ago. and China now has 568 billionaires versus the United States' 535, giving it the largest population of billionaires in the world.

People don't grasp what $20 Trillion of Debt is.. if they did, they'd never have backed Trumps Tax Give Away to the wealthy, and they would have stood against a Tax Cheat like Trump trying to further enrich himself and the wealthy at the expense piled upon the nation and its people.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 07-11-2018 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, people are very angry about some things. Everyone seems to be angry. Angry about different things. So they chose an angry, crude speaking person who attacks people verbally. Feels good, I guess.

Why are people so angry? Anger stems from unhappiness. Why so much unhappiness? Maybe that's the big question.

These angry people are looking for a scapegoat. Maybe it's that rotten woman on welfare. Or that guy on disability. Or maybe all people on welfare or disability are cheaters. And maybe they caused it themselves so they are to blame. Slackers, that's what they are. They don't deserve anything. I'm not a slacker so I deserve more. More, more, more. More MONEY and more STUFF. AND, the government is not going to steal my MONEY to help those people. MONEY. Love of MONEY.
Well....to be fair, half the angry people cannot countenance having lost an election. And they vent their anger and hatred like rude boors, thus reinforcing the impression among of other side that such people are indeed not taking respnsibility for not having nominated a viable candidate and smugly assuming they would win.

Want the blue meanies to go away? Vote Them Out.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You realize that the USA doesn't pay for the bases in Europe, right?
We certainly man them, though. And supply the weaponry, logistics, and the balls.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:43 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Hungry people are angry people.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
We certainly man them, though. And supply the weaponry, logistics, and the balls.
Do you seriously think the expense of manpower and weaponry will go away? Trump is looking at growing the military, not reducing it. And anyone I know who has been or is posted in Germany see it as the ultimate posting. Just see how many try and get the first five years extended to the max of 10.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
None of it has changed your person life one bit... you pay your taxes and keep living..... and if they pulled everything and tried to be an island unto ourselves... it is not going to benefit the average citizen one bit... because its only the wealthy whining and crying because they detest paying taxes, that don't singularly just benefit themselves and negate everything else.

The world won't shrink.... it will continue to grow, and it will continue to find ways to utilize diplomacy and allied agreements.
You my friend, are knocking it out of the park. Where are all the angry Americans sending replies dismantling your posts? They cannot because it's the TRUTH. Boy, the silence is deafening.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:51 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
English Dave;

I struggle to understand why such good at heart people put their hope in a man like Donald Trump, and will defend him to the hilt. He seems to have raised hope in so many who had given up. Something in him makes many people believe he can return America to a better time. A time when much was better than today, and Americans could be proud to belong to the greatest country in the world.
Because people became Disillusioned with what Past Presidents have done to this country...especially since Bush and Obama. Obama fed the press with hatred against whites, and caused a lot of racial tensions, especially with police. There was much hate then from the right...and the way this world was going...what corporations were doing to this country...and how corrupt it all was....

Quote:
I will watch what happens in America until I die. I hope I will get to visit it again soon. It needs good men and women to lead it, and hopefully learn lessons from the recent past. It has to survive this hateful man leading it,and it will. This too shall pass.
I wish for the same things....adding, in addition the end to racial tensions...however, laws must be implemented and obeyed for a country to function, and that includes it's leaders as well. It's all about working together....for a cause...

Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Well, English Dave, our government health service never directed that hospice patients should be denied water in their final days:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...e-8268641.html

The controversial method of withholding food and drink from terminally ill patients so they die quicker has “transformed” end of life care, according to an article in a leading medical journal.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:24 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Well, English Dave, our government health service never directed that hospice patients should be denied water in their final days:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...e-8268641.html

The controversial method of withholding food and drink from terminally ill patients so they die quicker has “transformed” end of life care, according to an article in a leading medical journal.

From that article... The Liverpool care pathway, which recommends that in some circumstances doctors withdraw treatment, food and water from sedated patients in their final days, means that they can have a "peaceful, pain-free, dignified death" at home, said Glasgow-based general practitioner Dr Des Spence.

My bolding.

I would welcome exactly this if I was in pain and on my last legs. I'm sure a lot of Americans would too.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Post #1262

Saying a government is based upon X implies that X is the central core of its assumptions, philosophy, etc. If X were that important to the government, then it should be spelled out in its very constitution. But the US Constitution only uses the word "nature" once, and that in a very, very different context from nature in the sense of ecology, evolution, and such. My rebuttal carries special weight in light of your appealing to the lack of the word "men" in the Constitution as a basis for saying the Constitution is not based on the law of men.

BTW, the Constitution mentions the word "people" twice, in the Preamble and in Article 2, Section 1. "People" implies "men" in the old usage as a synonym for "people". So by your very standard, you have to concede that the Constitution was based on the law of men more than it is on the law of nature.

That is some mental gymnastics... Based upon.
Never said it was in the Constitution. The bill of rights is based upon.....

Go put words in someone elses mouth.
I said what I said. If you wish to wrap your fantasy around reality, have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies