Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Here is another thought,
when I watch the news, and read how people relate to one another on forums, news feeds, only and simply b/c they disagree, it really wakes me up to the fact that we have not progressed, we've regressed as an intellectual society....

Watching people and how they've acted b/c Trump won or b/c their candidate lost, really shocks me. I mean, I've lost friends over it, Seriously?????

Never before, do I remember such anger, and a display of childish behavior...as I have this election...not to mention the fact that people are not able to face it.

Our society, along with all the illegal immigration from 3rd world countries, has no where to go but down, intellectually and it has already started. Illegal immigration brings along its own culture, which some are clearly inferior to our intellect, not to mention our culture...the way we think and feel about things.

I remember my son, telling us, when he got off the plane in Afghanistan, it was like walking back into Biblical times. It was very real to him just how primitive some cultures are....you cannot mix this with modern day society and have it work, and you cannot change cultures or expect them to blend. The only way that can be done is by wanting so badly to come to the U.S. and work at learning our culture, our language, and becoming an American Citizen. Without that desire, one will continue with their own beliefs...and ways, even if that means crime, rapes, thefts and breakin's to obtain something. Which is what most American's don't seem to be able to comprehend.

I'm not saying our culture is the best, however, we were at one time the best or running a 2nd or 3rd in intellectual skills as well as economy, colleges, etc....no more...we are now way down on the scales, and why do you think that has happened.

I'm not posting this to be contrary, these issues are facts...to be discussed, considered and realized, we do have a huge problem.

I still feel strongly that when laws are respected, everything else falls into place. We are becoming more and more corrupt and primitive in our way of thinking.

We have lost respect for laws and rules....which was automatic...it isn't any longer, oh there are still law abiding citizens, but it has made them angry to see, what has happened, what we have become and their knowledge of where we are going with this is most evident...

People calling each other names b/c they disagree? How primitive, how utterly embarrassing to a culture.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Well, English Dave, our government health service never directed that hospice patients should be denied water in their final days:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...e-8268641.html

The controversial method of withholding food and drink from terminally ill patients so they die quicker has “transformed” end of life care, according to an article in a leading medical journal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
From that article... The Liverpool care pathway, which recommends that in some circumstances doctors withdraw treatment, food and water from sedated patients in their final days, means that they can have a "peaceful, pain-free, dignified death" at home, said Glasgow-based general practitioner Dr Des Spence.

My bolding.

I would welcome exactly this if I was in pain and on my last legs. I'm sure a lot of Americans would too.
I have witnessed such events recently with my wife's mother, and about 14 years ago with her dad.

Her father had brain tumours, and slipped away into a coma. He was sedated as Kobber says, and then food and water withdrawn. Without this, his end would have been drawn out. He was unconscious all the time. It was a blessing when his life ended. We do not deal with any God's will nonsense in this country.

Her mother had cancer of the bladder, which had been treated, and gave her another 18 months of life. Unfortunately, she had a fall at our home where she lived, and ended up back in hospital to have a hip replacement. It was all downhill after that. Unable to regain mobility, constant bladder problems,and her last few months in a care home.

Her kidneys failed, and she became very distressed. Immediately, she was sedated with morphine, and she went into a coma. She was made comfortable, and kept clean. We sat with her for days, and she never came round at all. Food and water was withdrawn, and we sat with her playing 40s music which she loved. Her end came quietly, and with dignity. Nobody who is conscious has food and water withdrawn from them.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Well, English Dave, our government health service never directed that hospice patients should be denied water in their final days:

The controversial method of withholding food and drink from terminally ill patients so they die quicker has “transformed” end of life care, according to an article in a leading medical journal.
Oh, man, you are scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one. I could find 100X more articles with horror stories of the US medical system and how private insurance routinely denies access to necessary treatment.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, man, you are scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one. I could find 100X more articles with horror stories of the US medical system and how private insurance routinely denies access to necessary treatment.
It's just distraction Dixie. Nobody wants to talk about what Chance and Change had to say. Let's ignore that, and talk about the NHS........ Like I said, the silence is deafening.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:

The Liverpool Care pathway was very quickly abandoned and today UK ed of life care is seen as among the best in the entire world according to studies. There has also been a move towards comunity led pallative care with more people choosing to die in the familar surroundings of their home and with family.

UK end-of-life care 'best in world' - BBC News

The Quality of Death: Ranking end-of-life care across the world - The Economist Intelligence Unit

Quote:

In 2006 just over half a million people died in England, about 99% of them adults over the age of 18, and almost two-thirds adults over the age of 75. About three-quarters of deaths could be considered "predictable" and followed a period of chronic illness – for example heart disease, cancer, stroke, or dementia.

In all, 58% of deaths occurred in an NHS hospital, 18% at home, 17% in residential care homes (most commonly people over the age of 85), and about 4% in hospices.

However, a majority of people would prefer to die at home or in a hospice, and according to one survey less than 5% would rather die in hospital.

A key aim of the strategy therefore is to reduce the needs for dying patients to have to go to hospital and/or to have to stay there; and to improve provision for support and palliative care in the community to make this possible. One study estimated that 40% of the patients who had died in hospital had not had medical needs that required them to be there.

In 2015 and 2010, the UK ranked highest globally in a study of end-of-life care. The 2015 study said "Its ranking is due to comprehensive national policies, the extensive integration of palliative care into the National Health Service, a strong hospice movement, and deep community engagement on the issue." The studies were carried out by the Economist Intelligence Unit and commissioned by the Lien Foundation, a Singaporean philanthropic organisation.

End-of-life care - Wikipedia

End of life care - NHS Choices

What are palliative care and end of life care? - Marie Curie

A lot of excellent end of life care in the UK is provided by charities in conjunction with the NHS, such charities include Macmillan Nurses, Marie Curie and numerous hospices, whilst most residential care homes for the elderly in the UK are generally private and have nothing to do with the NHS.

More than a fifth of people in the UK now choose to die at home and this is set to dramatically increase in the future, whilst hospices and residential homes are taken an ever increasing role, as people and families have increasing choice.

Rise in terminally ill patients dying at home instead of in hospital - Metro

Dying At Home: People With Terminal Illness Moving Away From 'Institutionalised Death' - HuffPost UK

Macmillan Nurses - Information and support - Macmillan Cancer Support

Marie Curie: Care and support through terminal illness

Hospice UK

How hospices care for the dying - BBC News

Old 07-12-2018, 12:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

Don't even get me started with the Medicare / Hospice connection to get those costing a fortune off the rollcall.
The littlest thing, they wanted my dad to have Hospice care. He lived alone and took care of himself mostly. I went over and did the hard stuff and wrote out his bills. He got bladder cancer... Hospice. refused
Burnt his intestines with radiation, getting the cancer in his bladder... Hospice. refused
Was in a car wreck and bummed his knee... Hospice. refused
Fell and hit his head pretty hard..... Hospice. refused
8 years of that crap, trying to kill him off.

In the end, he was in rehab facility for his knee and they neglected him badly... Hospice. refused
Home, I closed down my business and I took care of him. Had a home nurse coming to make sure I was doing a good job and to instruct me when I needed it. About 6 months in we got a different nurse. I didn't like her a bit. Bossy and acted like I didn't know crap. My dad goes septic... and a bad ass urinal infection, within 2 weeks of her starting, thing going down hill days after she took over.
Dad passed away and come to find out, she is a HOSPICE nurse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
****ers killed my dad.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Trump has the support of 45% of the population. He is not a hateful man as you claim, he is just marketed that way by the media which markets every Republican that way....just remember before Trump was a Republican, he was widely loved and thought highly by most. He is a fighter and has said some things which are indefensible but what has he done....he has uplifted many through his company and now with his policies.

The policies of government and American mindset is that you shouldn't be rewarded too heavily for sitting home on your butt...is that cruel? We take in more immigrants and provide better opportunities for immigrants than any country on the face of the planet and we also do more to provide for the safety of the planet than any other country, is that cruel?

The current marketing by the media as Trump and America the devil is just really a temper tantrum over losing the election, nothing more.
“Widely loved and thought highly (sic) by most”

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:15 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Here is another thought,
when I watch the news, and read how people relate to one another on forums, news feeds, only and simply b/c they disagree, it really wakes me up to the fact that we have not progressed, we've regressed as an intellectual society....

Watching people and how they've acted b/c Trump won or b/c their candidate lost, really shocks me. I mean, I've lost friends over it, Seriously?????

Never before, do I remember such anger, and a display of childish behavior...as I have this election...not to mention the fact that people are not able to face it.

Our society, along with all the illegal immigration from 3rd world countries, has no where to go but down, intellectually and it has already started. Illegal immigration brings along its own culture, which some are clearly inferior to our intellect, not to mention our culture...the way we think and feel about things.

I remember my son, telling us, when he got off the plane in Afghanistan, it was like walking back into Biblical times. It was very real to him just how primitive some cultures are....you cannot mix this with modern day society and have it work, and you cannot change cultures or expect them to blend. The only way that can be done is by wanting so badly to come to the U.S. and work at learning our culture, our language, and becoming an American Citizen. Without that desire, one will continue with their own beliefs...and ways, even if that means crime, rapes, thefts and breakin's to obtain something. Which is what most American's don't seem to be able to comprehend.

I'm not saying our culture is the best, however, we were at one time the best or running a 2nd or 3rd in intellectual skills as well as economy, colleges, etc....no more...we are now way down on the scales, and why do you think that has happened.

I'm not posting this to be contrary, these issues are facts...to be discussed, considered and realized, we do have a huge problem.

I still feel strongly that when laws are respected, everything else falls into place. We are becoming more and more corrupt and primitive in our way of thinking.

We have lost respect for laws and rules....which was automatic...it isn't any longer, oh there are still law abiding citizens, but it has made them angry to see, what has happened, what we have become and their knowledge of where we are going with this is most evident...

People calling each other names b/c they disagree? How primitive, how utterly embarrassing to a culture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

Quote:

To start off.. one might want to look at FBI Stat's American white people lead in the very type of crimes you just outlined!!! (maybe one is blind to the mass of white people killing thier mom's their grand parents, their kids, their mates, and the white teachers sexing up the students, which seem to increase by the days, and the white males shooting up schools, killing a mass of innocent students, most of this stuff is by the home grown American white people, it was a american white man, who decided to shoot up people in Vegas with no respect that people were simply trying to enjoy their lives.) Geez!!! Right Wing Media is like Hitler's propaganda machine.

Quote:
As for the summary of what was written:
It is precisely the same argument used by white people against the freeing of slaves and against the act and function of integrating freed slaves into general society as free people.
I addressed such matters in a previous post, which one did not grasp nor comprehend in context about the creation of black codes and madness of what it represented and promoted, which was trying to deny full assimilation of black people into a society as free people, based on some of the same crap arguments. When fact and truth is it was actually black people and many other non white immigrant people who's labor built much of what American became...

What happen to respect for the words at the
Quote:
Statue of Liberty: “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
It was fully accepted when it was mainly white skin people coming, now that brown skin people come... now its a problem and honoring that credence is being fought against.
Trump came what that stupid stuff, of calling nations "sh-- hole nations" and then claiming a desire from people from nations that are predominantly white skin.

I've worked with people from Central American locations and many other foreign places, and many of them are far more skilled than a great many American, and have a "can do" attitude when it comes to work and the pursuit of learning. some of them learn the language by being self taught, and some have various technical to professional skills in the land they are from, but what they do have in abundance is the will, the desire and the determination "to work", build and raise a family and make their life's function progressively.

There are many people in American who do not even have the "determination to move from a died out, rural enclaves to try to make their lives better, but these immigrant have faced every peril they met, to come here to make their lives better and that takes determination and conviction to their desire for improving their lives. So.. its far more to respect about them, than all this disrespect being thrown at them.

I said earlier, I've found more helpful people in foreign countries, than one can find in some places in this country, especially if one has brown or darker skin. I have gone places and not known the language, and people not only help, they show one around and tell what things mean, what the customs are, what to do and what not to do so as not to offend .... and many many things. Generalized self consumption and variable strains of ignorance make people ignore to consider things they should consider.

yet, white people fail to grasp that we have a screwed up system, from the days all the various European came here, many unable to speak the language of English, and bring their cultural difference, that were in contrast with other English people from other places, from religious to social to economic, to liberty to autocratic ideals and everything else... yet.... it was suppose to be OK, because they all had white skin, is basically what you are saying amounts to. Heck, we still have and I said this before as well,
We have people who create their "German Town groups, their Italian group communities, the Polish, and etc... and that's all suppose to be fine, but how dare a Central American people create group communities that are like the varied Cultures from different Central American countries, Because their skin is brown, and people have some delusion that America belongs to white skinned people. Yet, you want to talk about peace and unity based on white people ideals and what white people claim can and cannot exist in America.

How Absurd!!!.. To want to tell the people to learn our culture... when we have people who are 2nd, 3rd and even longer generation of people from various European Cultures, who celebrate their ancestry country of origin in dance, song, food and social habits and everything else they can find from a various European countries.... Just what culture is it that one it tying to dictate to them to learn? Are they suppose to talk like people from various parts of the East Coast, or Talk like people from the back country hills, or the Hill billies of this type or that type of lingo, or like various Southern from various parts of the South, or should they sound like they are singing the Valley Girl lingo, or the Beach Boy slang. It's crazy, one or the other and one and the other various white skin people's groups have always been trying to tell others how to live as if they can't see, they themselves have multitudes of ways they make social culture in their groups and many segregate themselves in their enclaves, as if to be tribes of many different types in continual tribal warfare against someone of another or against many other social ethnic cultural groups.

What they need to learn is quite simple: Each person who immigrates and/or seek and/or is in the process of some form of integration, comes here for: the Right to life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness; in a nation that is built on the premise of freedom to do and be so.

America has been trying for Decades to fight off all the Autocratic idealist that came to this country, from the Red Scare, the Bolshevik's and the Neo Nazi's and such.. which are made up of "white people'... Right this very day, there are white groups from different European countries, who will attack people who come into their community if they are from a European or any other places, which they don't like....

If anyone think Central American Latin- Spanish Speaking People should be sent back, then they should realize, American long ago should have sent back people from many European countries who brought that peasant and serf mentality and worship of autocratic dominance mentality... there are German people mobs and gangs, Italian people mobs and gangs, and the likes from every European group that ever came here.

People run around in fictional delusions, happy to say, what mixture their ancestry is of Europeans, but they will rather die out than to say the same of mixtures in their history that is of any darker skin people, and then they have the delusion that people are to think as if they came from some upper status, when the bulk who came here were peasants, serf's, and very kind of criminal one can imagine, and some had skills and crafts and etc.... but there is no delusion that a mass of "just honest and honorable people" came who just loved American Premised Democracy.... If they had, we'd not have all these groups trying to create secularism all across the country. A mass of people came here with fictional European tales, trying to be what they could never become, where they came from.

Trump's family is one of those... from his Grandfather, when he came and then when he tried to go back to Germany, they would not let him in because they considered him a draft dodger, so he became a pimp, running a brothel, then Trumps daddy, swindled the Government when the government funded the building of homes, Trumps daddy looted some of the money to build units for his own personal gain. Trump is just like his daddy and grand daddy, at one time lying claiming his family clan was Swedish, because Germany had a tarnish form the malice of Hitler. Trump became the same swindler that his family heritage engaged. Its probably white his New York Apartment tries to resemble something like a Eastern European Autocratic Dictator would design. Yes, truth is of much more than the average Trump support is willing to deal with or face.

Most of the white people talking all this stuff... don't know enough about history and the pass along from generation to generation the concept they present, to even know what shaped their mentality and disposition, which still pushing the divisiveness their own ancestry brought to this country.

America was not of design for that craziness... Most of the people came here and brought their traditions from their old country, yes, the peasants, the serfs and the ghetto dwellers and those who knew the cast system they came from they could never escape, and they tried to recreate it here, and make themselves as if to be some figure with powers as if they could dictate something.

NO people don't like a belligerent bigoted and racist greed mongering maniac like Trump !!! American who respect the premise of Democracy will NEVER accept some maniac trying to be a Autocratic Dictator, and think that having money makes him something he can never be, which is "respected". There is nothing from individual to business the man has not swindled and or fleeced.

Trump is dumb enough to try and use a policy that was design for a threat to national security to invoke tariff's when he does not have that authority, because that authority belongs to congress, and steel and aluminum is not at a point of imports being a security or a national security threat. Based on Trump's history of swindling, its quite likely the only motivation is his aim to try and damage imports, so he can fleece American Steel and Aluminum produces for some project he and his twisted minded sons are considering.
The same as he sold that criminal Tax plan, because he detest paying taxes and want no inheritance taxes some he can pass it on to his kids a tax free as he can.

Nope... Republican Trump supporter don't want to the truth, because truth is too close to exposing truth about themselves and having to face it....

It's all in the long will do what it needs to do, and that continue to expose the Republican ideals Confederate Agenda, and its Antebellum Aspiration of Dictatorial Process over the masses by the wealthy.
In doing so, hopefully it denigrates every aspect of the Republican party and bring down the Republican system... and the Civil War they have been fighting in our American congress for 154+ yrs.

Many of these people have no idea to even have an idea to seek out the truth. I see some struggling with trying to use a ATM Card or even a Basic Cell phone unit, and many of such is barely in their early 60's. I see a bunch of people expecting to do what their grand-daddy did, which is some back breaking labor, when today we have machines to do that kind of heavy work... and a mass of the Mr. Macho types,, finding the age of 50 to meet them with a broken down body and a anguished mentality, and want to blame everyone else because they did not themselves adjust and learn and change with the time.

This crazy saying of "I pulled myself up by my boot straps".... well, I say, "sit on the floor and tug at what ever straps one has on their boots, and see don't they fall right over on their arse.... its the dumbest saying ever, and when one thinks about it, all it is, is a way for one to stay on their arse.
And that's what most who utter that craziness finds themselves, because they are too egotistically vain, to realize, 'someone helped them, even when they did not acknowledge they were being helped", and others as soon as they developed the ability to do something, "forgot" about those who helped them learn it in the first place. That because of egotistical arrogance and vanity, creating such a blindness.

Most of these people talking all this stuff about the Good Ole Days, don't even realize many were as people are today, teens and young adults with no real stability building responsibility...
some went from home to a dorm room, from that riding a degree like they think it a magic carpet, expecting to be paid for doing as less as they can possibility do, then wanting to give order and instruction to others, while crafting policy to deny something to someone. (sic)!!!
Responsibility awaken people to the fact what they call good ole days, was based on the much they did not know, and likely help from parents or someone, because they could not handle the responsibility themselves of paying their way themselves or had not reached an age to even know the impacts and duty of responsibility...
Age awake "some" people up, but some make "Confabulation" about their earlier days, rather than face the reality of what it actually involved.

This anti immigrant stuff.. is as if they think they can create some type of ethnic cleansing process.

The VILE of separating kids from their parents, is something HITLER DID !!!!!!

Last edited by Chance and Change; 07-12-2018 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 02:24 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
“Widely loved and thought highly (sic) by most”

Thanks for the laugh.
Yea, I agree, I guess it was time for some humor.... because that bunch of mentally blind silliness has to be the most brainwashed madness ever... When, fact and documentation via video and print by the day, shows the malice minded madness of Trump....

Geez... some of these people (Trumpee's) make America look more dumb'ed down than many foreign people ever thought they'd see in the 21st Century.... Heck ... America will have a mass task to overcome the imagery projections of the Trump Cult Members has done to damage and harm America, and the Republican Confederate Idealists continue to present a message agenda that is driven to create future harm and damage.

I think this post said it very well !!
and to think... people follow that nonsense

Old 07-12-2018, 03:40 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Well, I'm definitely going to read it. But your post highlights something I always find so disturbing about so many Americans: Their wilful blindness, their refusal to attend to something negative, their narrowness and insularity. (Not sure if it's global, or just a few countries like America.) Additionally, it seems to me that most ordinary Republicans/Conservatives don't read, period.

Apropos of fear, you might be interested to hear that philosopher Martha Nussbaum has a new book called The Monarchy of Fear:
The Monarchy of Fear | Book by Martha C. Nussbaum | Official Publisher Page | Simon & Schuster

I was just listening to an interview with her on National Public Radio:
https://www.wnyc.org/story/monday-mo...-polarization/
Okay, Dave, I finally got around to reading this.

First, I have to say that unfortunately the author is neither a brilliant writer nor a brilliant thinker, so I was disappointed in that.

Nevertheless, he does have two interesting ideas: One is that America is broadly dysfunctional. I'm not sure that even if that's completely true it would constitute "cruelty." It might just be incompetence. But the article would have been much better if he had gone into the specifics. The second idea is about the punching-down, and that's a viable idea. But, again, there's nothing specific there. Maybe it's just a function of an extremely diverse society? Discrimination is an international failings, and maybe we just are composed of more minorities to choose from?

So I'm willing to consider the ideas, but they'd need to be fleshed out by someone smarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies