Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 02:38 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintItBlack79 View Post
That's your opinion. It's annoying to me that you're so sensitive -- or looking for a fight -- that you can't discuss history or sociology sanely. But that's my opinion, not a fact, and I won't say "I can spot" that you're annoying as if it's a fact.

I bet you're totally offended when people point out all kinds of terrible things Americans did in the past, aren't you? Does mention of the American genocide of Native Americans make you see red? Do you get hot under the collar when someone wants to discuss, say, Sacco and Vanzetti? You just make life miserable for yourself if you can't be objective about history.
No, I don't get mad, and I am not mad now. Never was.

That said, pointing out lack of context and other fallacies isn't being mad, it's simple logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintItBlack79 View Post
Yes, it can, and has been hundreds of times over by people a lot better educated, open-minded and smarter than you. You can argue the point, but this is a widely-accepted theory among historians. It may not be the only reason, but it's surely one of the biggest.

Of course, hotly insisting it isn't so because 'MURICA!!!! makes you just look silly, but that's your prerogative.
Historians make a common mistake when they theorize on what if. The mistake is that they change one event and leave all other events unchanged. Chaotic systems don't work that way. When you change any input into a chaotic system, the results simply cannot predicted, no matter how many people may agree on the prediction itself. Confirmation bias does not yield scientific or mathematical proof.

I know that many historians agree that had America suffered the same devastation to infrastructure that Europe did, we would be this that or something else. That prediction cannot be made because the timeline of history consists of infinite interconnected events, such that it is a very chaotic system with infinite sensitivity to changes in even single variables. Thus, an opinion about what may have occurred if you change this, that or something else in the past is nothing more than opinion and can never be more than that, even if everyone generally agrees. It is not fact and can never be. That's just a property of chaos theory, not me being "mad" or whatever other ad hominem you want to throw at me.

Point is, America is not as collectivist as most of our European competitors. Our culture is not wired for collectivism as much as theirs generally are, and never has been. America was geared more towards individualism from the get go, just read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. And we are still wired that way, even if a bit less so than originally intended. Europe has always outpaced the US on acceptance and promotion of collectivism. Devastation or lack thereof from one war is not the sole determinant of that. Since the 18th century, not much has changed there.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:38 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You're drifting into enigmatic again gwyn..........
There was this Scottish guy who was almost kidnapped by gypsies and rescued by his uncle. By the name of Smith I think. First name, Adam. Then there was James Bond or Johnny Locke I think.

Reminds me of the time I had to explain the merits of a base 12 number system to a Britisher once. Sort of like a Welshman having to teach a guy in Jersey about the rules of American football.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
There was this Scottish guy who was almost kidnapped by gypsies and rescued by his uncle. By the name of Smith I think. First name, Adam. Then there was James Bond or Johnny Locke I think.

Reminds me of the time I had to explain the merits of a base 12 number system to a Britisher once. Sort of like a Welshman having to teach a guy in Jersey about the rules of American football.
Ah, Johnny Locke.

England's greatest contribution to the world in all of her history. A gift for which the world should be forever grateful.

And I mean that with every ounce of sincerity.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post

Whose on first?..........

I know the rules of American football. You have to kick the ball between the sticks, or drop the ball on the other team's line.

In baseball, they've got to hit the ball with the long stick, then run round round the field.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Trump has the support of 45% of the population. He is not a hateful man as you claim, he is just marketed that way by the media which markets every Republican that way....just remember before Trump was a Republican, he was widely loved and thought highly by most. He is a fighter and has said some things which are indefensible but what has he done....he has uplifted many through his company and now with his policies.

The policies of government and American mindset is that you shouldn't be rewarded too heavily for sitting home on your butt...is that cruel? We take in more immigrants and provide better opportunities for immigrants than any country on the face of the planet and we also do more to provide for the safety of the planet than any other country, is that cruel?

The current marketing by the media as Trump and America the devil is just really a temper tantrum over losing the election, nothing more.
I learned ,how great America was before the hate filled anti-American liberals took over journalism.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Ah, Johnny Locke.

England's greatest contribution to the world in all of her history. A gift for which the world should be forever grateful.

And I mean that with every ounce of sincerity.
Never heard of him. Did he play baseball with Joe DiMaggio?

Old 06-25-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Never heard of him. Did he play baseball with Joe DiMaggio?
He predates DeMaggio by a few years. Played for the Scottish Enlightenment All Stars, was MVP.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
He predates DeMaggio by a few years. Played for the Scottish Enlightenment All Stars, was MVP.
Nobody was better than Joltin' Joe.........

Scottish enlightenment? They sure need some of that.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:03 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
I have no agenda. I understand why so many Americans didn't want Hillary Clinton as their President. Donald Trump couldn't have had a better opponent to beat. Even then he didn't win the popular vote.

We all want to be popular don't we? That's why Donald says he won it really........
Quit deflecting. It's not about Donald winning.

Again Why post blaming Trump for the actions of adults? Adults take responsibility for their own actions, children blame others.

But words hurt right? Dropping bombs at an unprecedented rate when no country attacked us while killing innocent people isn't mentioned but Trump talks smack. Oh the horror.

27 pages of garbage on a thread titled "Why America is the world's most uniquely cruel society." and the murder of innocents isn't the topic? It's about words?????

No Nation building Bush drops 24 bombs per day. No boots on the ground while forgetting Pearl Harbor Obama drops 34 bombs per day. Trump is dropping 121 bombs per day.

Look over here, don't look over there.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 06-25-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Nobody was better than Joltin' Joe.........
From a pure statistical perspective, using WAR (Wins Above Replacement) as maybe the best single stat for "who is best", DiMaggio isn't even top three for Yankee players. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Lou Gehrig all come in ahead of DiMaggio for WAR, lifetime and any single season.

Numbers don't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies