Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 09:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
No, I think I touched a nerve with you eh? I'm good at that..........
You an ex New York parrot?........

Old 06-26-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Dude.
He did Uncle Bully. Folks who supported him right to the end.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:21 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Ponder this, why do more than a million immigrants come and be welcomed by the US each year?

Ask them to solve your limited perspective dilemma.

Trump is none of the negative descriptors you mentioned. that is your first problem. You own a subscription to media propaganda machine working overtime for the democrats and are unable to distinguish reality from the hate and fear mongering being published. Then again, the euro witch trials should have been a lesson learned from which you might draw further insight into your plight.
They generally come from countries ravaged by war, ruled by dictators, or struggling with extreme poverty, or even famine. They do not come from prosperous, developed nations with adequate health care and a decent standard of living, at least not as a rule.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 06-26-2018 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
At the same time, massive illegal immigration from across the Mexican border. President Reagan gave an amnesty, and promised things would change, and illegal immigration would be curbed. The opposite happened instead. Well, as a white man myself, I can put myself in that position, and think why is this happening? For the benefit of who?
I agree that this is one of the worst and most perplexing things that Reagan ever did. A big ??? that we will never have a good answer to. I don’t understand why more American patriots haven’t called him out on it.

Be that as it may, Trump can’t be held responsible for the mistakes that happened in America before his term. He just needs to fix the mess we’re in right now.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:26 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Ponder this, why do more than a million immigrants come and be welcomed by the US each year?

Ask them to solve your limited perspective dilemma.

Trump is none of the negative descriptors you mentioned. that is your first problem. You own a subscription to media propaganda machine working overtime for the democrats and are unable to distinguish reality from the hate and fear mongering being published. Then again, the euro witch trials should have been a lesson learned from which you might draw further insight into your plight.
You've nailed it there Kracer!

Old 06-26-2018, 09:31 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
He did Uncle Bully. Folks who supported him right to the end.
All leaders have followers who support them to the end. From the worst to the best.

By the way he also was a vegetarian. All vegetarians are like, literally Hitler.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
As soon as I read that, I thought of 'Easy Rider.' Now, that was a real interesting film showing the America of that time. I watched in amazement at the reaction to Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper from older Americans.

When they got shot at the end, I thought, "what did they shoot them for? What did they do wrong?"....

Some great scenery in that movie. I have always liked American films which show the wide open spaces.
Well I'm glad to hear that you're being educated about the United States by watching Hollywood movies. That explains everything.......

But I'll agree with you on one thing. I now live in the great American Southwest. There's no place like it on the face of the earth. Not only because of the scenery, it's God, guns and patriotism for the good ole' USA. My only regret is not having been born here.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 06-26-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
All leaders have followers who support them to the end. From the worst to the best.

By the way he also was a vegetarian. All vegetarians are like, literally Hitler.
He suffered real bad with gas......... true story........

Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. I think OP's article may be right. A lack of sympathy and empathy for the root cause of suffering in our fellow Americans can perpetuate the lack of supports, cruelty, and safety nets we have here. Americans may be nice people. I'm sure most of us are. But we certainly have different attitudes toward the needy than those in other countries. I also believe there is a difference between asking a person, "How are you doing?" and not really caring about the answer and genuinely wanting to help a stranger better their lot in society.
It's just my perception that the author was speaking, not of the cruelty of persons as individuals, but of cruel policies and how they come about. It's a significant difference. That's why I wasn't angered by the article, as many here have been. I didn't take it as a personal accusation at all, but merely as an attempt to explain some things I've wondered about most of my adult life, primarily our collective unwillingness to join the rest of the developed world and institute universal health care of some variety. Our high rate of incarceration and particularly our fondness for the death penalty also fall under that umbrella, particularly the latter. The statistics, worldwide, regarding executions are not pretty, nor is the company we are keeping in that regard.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:38 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
I do appreciate America, and I mean that. But, so much of the American character is difficult for outsiders to understand. I just wanted comments on what the link said, and whether there was any truth in it. That's all.

Thank you for what you have to say in your post. The world without America would be a poorer place. I am not anti-American at all. But I have a great curiosity to how Americans think, and why.

As you alluded to earlier, there is a difference between the urban and rural United States. By my observation urbanization engenders alienation from the more general necessities of life, vacillating between specialization and dependency. People also tend to be a less valued commodity in urban areas. In urban areas people see people they absolutely do not care about and social interaction happens between networks, not based on the locale. In rural areas its whomever is one's neighbor.

On the whole , specializations in the urban areas leads to great economic output, based upon the division of labor , and as such the sophistication and refinements of it are vastly superior. However as to the effects on the populace, it makes them ill-suited for many generalities of life. There is more hive mindedness than in the rural areas due to the dual nature of their specializations which are insular and unconnected. Thus the connections that remain are quite sterile and simplistic more like a fashion than a thought, in these urban areas. Its ironic that the lip service of compassion coming from the urbanite is not reflected in their behavior, except within their own social networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies