Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 02:49 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The same thing happened in England. We were managing immigration all right, and then the EU expanded in 2004, to include ten new nations like Poland. Most everybody in the EU put a restriction on workers from the new member countries for about five years. All except three....... the UK, Ireland and Sweden. We were flooded with East European workers, which depressed wages. The government that allowed this, led by Tony Blair, was a Labour government. The nearest equivalent to your Democrats. He said privately, he was going to rub the British people's noses in 'diversity.'

The strain on the jobs market, housing, schools, social issues, was massive. Rents soared because of supply and demand, and British workers struggled to find work. The Polish people especially were willing to work for low rates, because the exchange rate meant the money went a long way back in Poland. We started hearing of small three bedroom houses, with twelve or more folks living in them. Mattresses on floors...... overcrowding. Somehow, we were told this was good for us, and for the country. This is one of the major reasons we voted to leave the EU. The working classes have been thrown to the wolves. I voted to leave even though my personal interests were best served by the status quo. I own my home, have good pensions, and have a good life travelling abroad six times a year on vacation. I voted for the young, and their future, not mine.

On top of this, we have illegal immigrants at French coastal cities trying to get into England. They have travelled through many countries not claiming asylum. They want to get to England, where the streets are paved with gold. Or so they have been told. We are under siege, and we have government after government selling us out.
Have you seen the youtube videos of truck drivers being assaulted at Calais by these "immigrants"? Scary stuff.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:51 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If this comment is meant to be critical of our endless wars and attempts at nation-building, I agree with you. We have a long and contentious history of that, mostly with rather poor results.
Indeed it is. However now that we have a POTUS who honesty portrays many elements of da guberment , only now its nasty. That's the kind of nasty I was looking for. I would like a few minutes in congress to tell them exactly what I think of them. It would be down right nasty too.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:00 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Like extremist Jainists and their insistence on not hurting anything whatsoever - even insects - as part of their extremism?

Don't forget religions are just ideologies. They are not all the same, they do not have the same effect on the cultures they predominate in, and they beget different actions. Ideology begets actions.

As a female I presume you are not cool with the explicit sexism in the Koran (and other religions). One might be a nice person per se, but one might hold religious ideology that is not.
I did not say they are all the same. I said I fear extremists, and I do. I cannot address the Jainists, as I do not know any. They sound quite peaceful, and that is lovely.

The problem I have with generalizations like the ones being presented is that they assume all members of any religion adhere with the same degree of devotion to a fundamentalist stance. There are some ugly things in the Koran. There are also some ugly things in the Bible, and there is another active, though widely ignored, thread right now about a Jewish sect whose male members are insisting that women take another seat on an airplane because they won't sit next to them.

My point is, I am unwilling to assume that anyone is a bad person exclusively on the basis of their faith, or their lack thereof. I guess that makes me a bit of a radical.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:22 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I really hate arguing with my friends, but I think I want some of my rep points back. :/

All religious extremists are scary. Not all Muslims are religious extremists. If your experience has suggested that they are, I am sorry. Mine has not.

I agree with most of your views, but not this one.
That's all right Cat. We can agree to disagree....... I think in America, you tend to get a more educated type of Muslim. Not all, but many. We have some who can be found in the NHS. Fine people in the main.

We have many Muslim shopkeepers, and sure, many want to live their lives in peace. But, the radicals control the agenda. They do nothing that the Koran doesn't tell they can do. So, any so called moderate Muslims who speaks out against them, is going against the Koran.

The Koran tells them to lie when necessary, and deceive the infidel. All non Muslim women are fair game. We have seen the result of that, in years of rape of underage non Muslim girls in this country. I have observed Muslims at close quarters, which many Americans will not have done. They are involved in the illegal drug trade, and prostitution. A large proportion are unemployed, claiming benefits. They also have large families, and are a drain on the taxpayer.

I say this from 50 years of observing them, and what they get up to. They are always ready to play the race card, and I have spoken to many inside local government, and banks, who tell me just what they get up to. One day, they will try and take over, through legal means like politics, if they can. They will start a civil war when they feel ready to do so. It may start first in a European nation like Germany or France, before here. It will then be them, or us.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:27 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Have you seen the youtube videos of truck drivers being assaulted at Calais by these "immigrants"? Scary stuff.
Yes. It's a constant fight to keep them out of trucks. The French don't try very hard to prevent it. They want rid of these people. England getting stuck with them, suits the French just fine.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:54 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
The same thing happened in England. We were managing immigration all right, and then the EU expanded in 2004, to include ten new nations like Poland. Most everybody in the EU put a restriction on workers from the new member countries for about five years. All except three....... the UK, Ireland and Sweden. We were flooded with East European workers, which depressed wages. The government that allowed this, led by Tony Blair, was a Labour government. The nearest equivalent to your Democrats. He said privately, he was going to rub the British people's noses in 'diversity.'

The strain on the jobs market, housing, schools, social issues, was massive. Rents soared because of supply and demand, and British workers struggled to find work. The Polish people especially were willing to work for low rates, because the exchange rate meant the money went a long way back in Poland. We started hearing of small three bedroom houses, with twelve or more folks living in them. Mattresses on floors...... overcrowding. Somehow, we were told this was good for us, and for the country. This is one of the major reasons we voted to leave the EU. The working classes have been thrown to the wolves. I voted to leave even though my personal interests were best served by the status quo. I own my home, have good pensions, and have a good life travelling abroad six times a year on vacation. I voted for the young, and their future, not mine.

On top of this, we have illegal immigrants at French coastal cities trying to get into England. They have travelled through many countries not claiming asylum. They want to get to England, where the streets are paved with gold. Or so they have been told. We are under siege, and we have government after government selling us out.
All you have to do is substitute England in your post for the United States. Because that's exactly what's going on over here.

I don't know about England, but here in America there is no incentive to assimilate into our culture. The illegal invaders can just cross the border and find their safe little enclaves within America's major cities. There they will be amongst their own people speak their native language and it will be as if they never even left their home country. Except of course American taxpayers will be taking care of their everyday needs. As bad as living conditions may be for them such as being crammed into small illegal apartments, it's a hell of a lot better than where they came from. Even though many of the streets are paved with litter to them the streets are paved with gold. At least they've got running water, a toilet and a warm place to s**t.

But it's gotten to the point over here that the illegal invaders now have political power and all too many politicians that are more than willing to cater to them. They also have the sympathetic ear of our mainstream news media of which spineless cowardly politicians do not want to cross for fear of being called racist or any other derogatory term they can come up with. The children of the illegal invaders are being used as pawns to further the cause of open borders. Anyone that's opposed to open borders are portrayed as "heartless and cruel".

Where we used to live in New York a bunch of illegal invaders from Ecuador moved into our neighbor's single family home after they sold it. With it came the loud volleyball parties in the backyard, public urination and drinking out in the street, cars parked all over the place haphazard and up onto the sidewalks. What was once a quiet little neighborhood when we first bought our home was now like living in a foreign country. As each family moved out the illegals started moving in. For some reason we haven't figured out was why they were all Ecuadorian? We also couldn't figure out how they were able to buy a home? The one's that bought the home next to ours through a casual conversation in broken English, freely admitted to us that they were in the country illegally and working for 15 years. Their daughter was snuck into the country when she was 2, educated in public schools and spoke perfect English.

As it was already illegal to turn single family homes into multi family units. Calls to code enforcement were an exercise in futility. They would just come by and tell us that all the occupants of the home were related and there was nothing they could do about it. Fortunately for us we were able to sell our house and got out of there a year later.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:01 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Yes, thankfully you were able to sell and leave.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:10 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
It's not even close to being the most cruel. That would probably be some country in the Congo river basin.
I don't think you read the article.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:57 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
I have been fascinated with America, and it's people all my life. At the same time I have been puzzled by many attitudes, and the seeming despising of so called failures in society. The one's who don't 'lift themselves up by their bootstraps', and the like.

With the election of Donald Trump, this underlying cruelty has manifested itself, and is on display all the time in this forum. Whether it's illegals, different racial groups, UHC, politics in general, the educated sneering at the uneducated, and a more inward looking population. A seeming cheering at Trump's wrecking ball type of politics. It is endlessly interesting to me, as an outsider looking in, but difficult to understand.

I came across an online article which for me, helped a little in understanding the American mentality. The writer of it says America was a promised land - for the despised, loathed and hated. Folks not given an ounce of respect, dignity, or even belonging in their societies of origin.

It was built on hate. First the British and French settlers hating the Native Americans, and then the next wave of settlers too. Cruelty was established as a way of life. Each new tribe that came to this promised land, brought the burden of being despised and oppressed with them. They were finally above someone else in a social hierarchy. They were not at the bottom anymore. The basis of a dog eat dog, survival of the fittest mentality was formed, which continues today. Today's servant wants to be tomorrow's master. Today's peasant, wants to be tomorrow's landlord. Today's victim aspires to be tomorrow's oppressor.

An attitude of cruelty was formed. Punching down, not lifting up. It's all that Americans expect from each other, and give to each other. A perverse idea of virtue, that by punishing people, we can better them. It is all that Americans expect from each other, and give to each other.

This article made me think, and ponder about this great country, and why it does, what it does. How did the 'Promised Land' get to where it is today? Led by a sociopathic, hateful man, who can do no wrong to a large part of the population. Do Americans on this forum agree with what he has to say, or think he's wrong?

https://eand.co/why-is-america-the-w...y-f67afc5c6b9a
What about the cruelty of your own country, where illegal Muslim immigrants are given free reign over British citizens, where you let the IRA terrorists dictate the peace terms in Northern Ireland and gave them a place in government (and you expect Israel to do the same with Hamas), and with Charlie Gard? How the NHS refuses to let children seek care in the US just to show whose in control?

Old 06-26-2018, 04:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, thankfully you were able to sell and leave.
Yeah you're not kidding! Our home was on the market for over 3 years. Most buyers did not want to put their children in the public schools within our district. We were just amazed at how fast our neighborhood changed within the previous 5 or so years we lived there. Had we known then we never would have bought there. We were aware that the small city along the Hudson was not the greatest, but it was about the only place in Westchester County where we could afford to buy a house and was within a half hours drive to our job.

It really is a shame as to what happened to that city over the years as it has some of the most beautiful old Victorian homes, some with the most awesome views of the Hudson River. Many have been turned into multi family units, are run down and dilapidated with sidewalks and streets overgrown with weeds and crumbling along with the ubiquitous litter.

We knew many people who were born and raised there. According to them that once they allowed for low income housing it's been down hill ever since. We were kind of on the outskirts away from downtown and most of the riff raff. But over the years our neighborhood started to deteriorate as well. No matter where you are in Westchester County the cost of living and property taxes are astronomical. A lot of the middle class people and many of the retired people who choose to remain there probably can't afford the upkeep of their homes and the neighborhoods are showing it.

Just recently I heard that they are going to close the Indian Point nuclear power plant in favor of green energy, wind and solar power. Another one of Cuomo's and the environmentalists brilliant ideas. Indian Point pays over one third of the school taxes in that area. Somebody's going to have to make up the difference. Not only that but what will become of the property once the plant is closed down? I doubt anyone would want to build on it. I'm sure that a public park would be out of the question too. Whether there's contaminated soil or not, would you want to live on it or allow your children to play on it?

Indian Point became more of an issue after 9/11 before that it was just there and hardly anyone was concerned about it. Even after Three Mile Island many just shrugged it off. Except that is for environmentalists who used it as a catalyst for their cause. 9/11 just added fuel to their fire. We still have friends back there that are in the shadow of Indian Point. God only knows what the hell they're gonna' do should they decide to sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies