Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 03:42 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
my54ford gave me the answer I expected on youth crime. 'Can't do the time, don't do the crime.' You are more in thinking about circumstances, and a warning being a good thing. In England, the police, especially with young people, want to give them a chance to get back on the right road. Generally, they call the parents in, and after a discussion, give the young person an official caution. This only stays on the file for a couple of years. If the young person doesn't reoffend, it is destroyed.

I get the impression any criminal activity in America, stays with the person for life, affecting future job prospects. I do know some Americans consider that their own fault, and have little sympathy. That, to me, is quite puritanical.

The death sentence was abolished here in the mid 60s. I believe certain murderers should be executed. Police killers, children killers for sure. Others should be looked at case by case. I know the French have what they call 'crimes of passion' where the murderer lost control momentarily.

Jails for profit don't jell with me. It is a capitalistic step too far. I can imagine the jail governor looking at his graphs of room occupation a little like a sales graph.

So what? Like rob an old lady on pension day and get a stern warning?

Old 06-29-2018, 03:47 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
No....... generally quite minor crime, that young people sometimes commit. Not violence. There is no police caution for anything like that.

Sometimes, young people can be talked into theft, by so called friends. As they say, 'getting in with a bad crowd.' The police don't want a criminal record following someone all their lives, for many instances, a one time only crime.

Why, do you believe young people deserve lifetime punishment for one minor crime?

Old 06-29-2018, 04:04 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times
Why America is the world's most uniquely cruel society.
  • We place the almighty $$$ above anything else
  • Healthcare is a corporate money maker (see 1)
  • The rich stay rich and the poor usually stay poor
  • Higher Education is for those who are well off (see 1)
  • Employers have most of the power in most employee-employer relationships
  • Few Americans travel internationally. Leads to a "group think" mentality
  • "Affordable Housing" is a bygone myth in many of the largest cities
  • Public transportation is well behind our international counterparts
  • "Love thy neighbor" except when it costs $$$
  • We rarely see ourselves as a collective, but rather as individuals. Personal freedoms mean more than what is best for the country as a whole

Last edited by illinoisphotographer; 06-29-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 04:06 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
my54ford gave me the answer I expected on youth crime. 'Can't do the time, don't do the crime.' You are more in thinking about circumstances, and a warning being a good thing. In England, the police, especially with young people, want to give them a chance to get back on the right road. Generally, they call the parents in, and after a discussion, give the young person an official caution. This only stays on the file for a couple of years. If the young person doesn't reoffend, it is destroyed.

I get the impression any criminal activity in America, stays with the person for life, affecting future job prospects. I do know some Americans consider that their own fault, and have little sympathy. That, to me, is quite puritanical.

The death sentence was abolished here in the mid 60s. I believe certain murderers should be executed. Police killers, children killers for sure. Others should be looked at case by case. I know the French have what they call 'crimes of passion' where the murderer lost control momentarily.

Jails for profit don't jell with me. It is a capitalistic step too far. I can imagine the jail governor looking at his graphs of room occupation a little like a sales graph.
For-profit jails are a horrible idea. Businesses thrive when there are more customers, and is that really what we want for our prisons - more and more inmates? When a person is on trial, there should be no issue of how much money could be made by jailing him or her, and it is all to easy for me to imagine a scenario where there is additional pressure on judges and prosecutors to go for the harshest possible penalty, even more than now, because of the money involved.

Then, also, there is the matter of cost-cutting, and what a profit motive would do the the treatment of inmates: food, health care, whatever. I have no problem at all with requiring people who are in prison to contribute something to the maintenance of the facility to offset the cost to taxpayers, as long as they are learning a useful skill and earning some money they can set aside for their eventual release in the process, but there is absolutely no way that their labor should be enriching some damn corporation or individual investor. That isn't justice, it's slavery.

Death penalty. I hate it. I have lots of reasons for that, but only one that really matters in the long run: sometimes people are wrongly convicted, and how do you fix a mistake like that?

Old 06-29-2018, 04:08 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
That’s the kind of B.S they do here in the states.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:12 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
If you can find such a suggestion anywhere in this thread, please produce it

Old 06-29-2018, 06:49 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
No....... generally quite minor crime, that young people sometimes commit. Not violence. There is no police caution for anything like that.

Sometimes, young people can be talked into theft, by so called friends. As they say, 'getting in with a bad crowd.' The police don't want a criminal record following someone all their lives, for many instances, a one time only crime.

Why, do you believe young people deserve lifetime punishment for one minor crime?
I knew a lot of young people who were given that chance. auto theft and drug possession for two examples.Another was forgiven for breaking out of jail. The judges simply gave them the option of Serving in the military or jail time. Of course this was in the late 60's and early 70's.If they enlisted the charges were dropped.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Greed breeds cruelty.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:27 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
In England, the police, especially with young people, want to give them a chance to get back on the right road. Generally, they call the parents in, and after a discussion, give the young person an official caution. This only stays on the file for a couple of years. If the young person doesn't reoffend, it is destroyed.

If kids commit a crime before they are adults, unless it's heinous, they go to juvenile hall or whatever it's called now. It used to be called reform school. Their records were sealed. Even for adults who commit crimes, depending on the crime and state, you can have your record expunged by the court after a number of years if you have a clean record.

Property crimes in the UK seem to be getting worse, as well as knife crimes. But you know that!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:32 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Trump appointee disputes leaders’ duty to condemn racism

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/29/polit...ism/index.html

"The drafters say 'populism and nationalism' as if these are dirty words," wrote Andrew Veprek, the deputy assistant secretary for refugees and migration, in documents obtained exclusively by CNN. "There are millions of Americans who likely would describe themselves as adhering to these concepts. (Maybe even the President.). So are we looking to here condemn our fellow-citizens, those who pay our salaries?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies