Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
At this point, I think I have to painfully admit that Trump is all about ego.

With trump, life is like a box of dried cow pies…you always know exactly what you're going to get.

In my world, moving the manufacture to another country is not a big deal. If the tax is reasonable, then foreign factories will come here to open businesses. A trade policy will help some and hurt some, it is just common sense.

Not sure why Trump has to make a big deal about this. Can't say I am surprised by that though. Just like my liberal friends have told me, "we told you so." well, yeah, duh, I am not surprised.
No surprise to me either. This is the same guy who suggested Canadians are burning through a tankful of gas smuggling shoes out of the U.S. to avoid a ten dollar duty cost on a pair of $200. shoes. The man's a moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Yeah, when he called her "crooked Hillary", she should have fought back:

P-Grabbing Donnie
Do as I say Donnie
Lying Don
Bait and switch Don
Donald (Mexico will pay for the wall) Trump
Cheating Don
Unamerican Don
Adolf Trump

I do hope people will learn. The difference is that with Trump, we don't need to make up lies about him. Just let his actions be seen, and that should be enough. Sure, his cult will deny them in the shadow of his own words, but they are too far gone anyway.

Swindling Donnie can only fool so many people....
People are sick of the Godwin crap also. But she would have been better off going after Don as opposed to hundreds of thousands of people.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:48 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump is using the Office of the President to directly threaten and bully an American business, Harley Davidson. So much for "small government" staying out of the "free market," eh cons?
I wouldn't call it bullying and threatening. It isn't like he directed the EPA to mandate stricter noise and emissions standards...

That would be bullying.

Threatening would be to impose new taxes on their domestic operations.
He hasn't done that either.

Being critical of Harley would seem about right.
However, to ignore the reasons they are in the shape they're in is ignorance.

They had years where they generated good profits. And they never voluntarily took advantage of those years to reinvest in the company. They could have targeted a wider audience/market but decided to double down and focus on a niche. And that niche is aging and dying.

You give me someone who grew up with dirtbikes and can actually ride.
I'll put them on a metric cruiser, a Harley cruiser, a metric sport bike.
I'll tell them the price tag.

Harley will not appeal to them.

Look at Cadillac for example.
I'm the rare millennial who actually loved big land yachts.
But... not many else with money actually did.

Now look at Cadillac.
They followed the direction of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, infinity, lexus, acura.
Luxury sport coupes and sedans. Midsized suvs.
Cadillac either risked falling into obscurity with running the Deville and land yacht sized cars that ride as smooth as a baby carriage or evolve and meet the demands of the market.

Harley did not.

Trump didn't run Harley.
Dummies did.

I believe Trump wanted to encourage Harley to stay stateside and push for a more fair trade agreement with europe. However, Harley isn't in the position to be able to afford that. They are the frog in hot water. And it's their own doing. So he's being critical of them for shutting down production and moving overseas.
Harley chickened out but they have to or raise the prices and lose further shares in the European market.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:49 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand how the Rs can continue to defend him.
What would the Democrats do about the trade deficit? I'm curious how you would solve this problem, or if you know we even have a big problem when it comes to our trade policies?

I hear a lot of hating about Trump's approach but what would have been the alternative? Bernie Sanders agreed with Trump on riding us of NAFTA. If he were president right now and doing that would you be so uptight?

It's no secret we are drowning in trade debt. It's no secret we lost U.S. manufactures to slave labor deals outside the U.S.

Do the Dems just love all use of slave labor for product production?

Old 06-26-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
trump just threatened and dissed Harley....what a bag of wind.
Here is what he should simply be allowed to do. By going after Harley he will also alienate a good number that voted for him. As to my point, quit alienating these people by calling them names, let Trump alienate them.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:53 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Trump twitter

A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!

Last line seems to be a threat.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yes and no. HD bikes can hold value (when i was a kid) I was born in 1985. Not sure about now.

Like the other poster pointed out, they are dealing with a shrinking market.
Even though I would find riding it a real task now at my age of 72. I would move heaven and earth to find a 51 Pan-Head FL..with the hand shift and rocker clutch......the first mortorcycle I ever owned purchased when I was 15 to ride back and forth to my summer job cutting greens,aprons and fairways at a nearby golf course. Many later Harley's followed over the years but that Pan-Head had personality.

It would be given a spot on a hoist in my shop for a full resto just so I could start it up occasionally (if I still weighed enough and could manage to kick it over the three times necessary to prime, choke and fire ) just to listen to that old beauty idle.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump is separating the cons from the statists. There are still a few conservatives (free market types) out there but most of the republican party now is made up of statists like Trump. They believe the government rather than free markets should control the economy. No conservative worthy of the name would sign on to Trumpanomics.
The big question is, will they have an alternative to vote for? While I do not agree in voting for the lesser evil a huge majority of people do. Will they end up still seeing Trump as the lesser evil?

Old 06-26-2018, 09:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post

Do the Dems just love all use of slave labor for product production?
Nobody loves slave labor in other countries like the Trump family,believe me. They farm out their production to cheap labor countries such as China. Trumps love cheap foreign labor so much, they even hire foreigners on visas for their service jobs on US soil. Nobody loves to hire non-Americans more than the Trumps.

Donald Trump even increased the volume of foreign visas so more foreigners can work in the USA. And he left the tariffs off of the items which his family manufactures in countries.

Do as he says, not as he does, is his motto.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:59 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Trump twitter

A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!

Last line seems to be a threat.
I read it on the internet (not sure if this is completely true, so please correct me if I am wrong here) that,

Harley-Davidson manufactures its motorcycles at factories in York, Pennsylvania; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Kansas City, Missouri (closing); Manaus, Brazil; and Bawal, India. Construction of a new plant in Thailand is scheduled to begin in late 2018.

Let's be honest, What sells Harley Davidsons today is the heritage, the aesthetics, and a carefully curated image. This image is largely a result of the ‘chopper’ culture and the biker clubs that grew around Harley in the 60s, and continue to this day.

So if Harley wants to move the production to foreign countries, it must mean the domestic sales is not enough to keep the business profitable. They have to do what they have to do.

I am still a Harley fan, I remember the first time I got on my grandpa's bike. Harley will always be an American bike no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies