Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:48 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times

Advertisements

Remembering when a baker turned away Joe Biden and received praise from conservatives - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 03:49 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
It is not. Not even close.

I think it's time for a break from the Internet. It's summer, lots of great outdoor activities this time of year.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:52 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

I think it's time for a break from the Internet. It's summer, lots of great outdoor activities this time of year.
No way, I didn't get my cheeseburger! It's Bloody Kansas all over again!

Old 06-26-2018, 03:53 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The groundwork was laid at the turn of the century when we were plunged into 2 wars the United States could never win or exit from in defeat.

But does than mean we are ready now to kill each other in addition? I don't think so. I read history, and Americans have been this divided before. Several times, mostly when we become trapped in situations we can't get out of.

If things are mean-spirited now, and they are, they're nowhere as nasty as the years before the Civil War just yet, and I seriously doubt any of us will ever live to see one Congressman beat another close to death in the hallways of Congress again.
That was how nasty the discourse had become before the war. The bloodstains are still there, on a marble step. They were just a precursor to to the rivers of blood that flowed a few years later.

We killed more of us than were ever killed in all the other wars we fought, before or afterward, combined, and the Civil War came close to depopulating an entire generation of our young men.

I don't think we are ready to do that again. Or anywhere close to that kind of slaughter. No nation can withstand that kind of lingering pain more than once every 300 years or so and hope to survive as a people.

Tombstones never mention political affiliation very much. That's because the dead don't care any more about who they once thought was right or wrong.
Believe me, Banjomike -- Not only do I not want a true Civil War in America, I don't want what has been happening since the early 2000's, like you mentioned.

I'm right there with you about the international wars. I hate 'em! Unfortunately, we and Congress got played pretty good related to those last two (although, I guess we did have to do something about Afghanistan).

I'd be interested to hear your take on my theory. And, btw, I don't think that POTUS wants all this garbage but, to an objective observer, I don't see how he has choice but to engage in nasty ball with them.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:39 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Well, there might be a City- Data civil war. But here in the real world, nah. Why do I say this? I'm a liberal who lives in a deeply red state. Every encounter I have ever had has been nothing but civil. Same when I was in the majority in New York. I had friends who did not agree at all with me or my colleagues. We had great argumentative discussions over beers, pizza and wings. But violence or or ostracism ? Never happened.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trump has twice suggested side-stepping due process, in grabbing guns and deporting immigrants. A POTUS trampling the Constitution he took an oath to uphold is as likely a cause for civil war as anything else.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ing/381145002/

Authorities abandon 'zero-tolerance' policy for immigrant families | abc7ny.com
These tariffs are not needed for national security either.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
The moment david Hogg and his ilk try to take away our guns, is the moment that war begins. There may also be the day when we must wage war against the illegal alien invaders.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:01 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The moment david Hogg and his ilk try to take away our guns, is the moment that war begins. There may also be the day when we must wage war against the illegal alien invaders.
Lol. David Hogg has no power over you.

When the grifter-in-chief, who has no idea what is in the Constitution, attempts to violate it, and our rights--that is when it starts. Bad enough he violates ethics and rules left and right already.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:02 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
And that is probably the saddest of all! They think this garbage is normal.

They haven't lived in a time where people mostly did behave respectfully towards each and wouldn't even have thought to ask someone to leave, in the middle of their meal, a restaurant just because they have different political views. Sad!
It’s just a color. Soon we’ll be breeding with alien women with green skin. Thats where it will really get interesting..

Old 06-26-2018, 05:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

^ This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies