Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because you are not allowing states to allow the people to use their land as they see fit. You are now arguing for government to step in. You are now arguing for the status quo.
...as long as it doesn't harm others or their property, which it would be if they're polluting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Because you are not allowing states to allow the people to use their land as they see fit. You are now arguing for government to step in. You are now arguing for the status quo.
LOL. Libertarians believe government must have the essential role of enforcing the laws.

Again, not sure why it’s hard to understand. Did I miss anything here?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
If state A can not use their property as they see fit, that is violating their property right.
States are not real. They don't have rights. Only individuals have rights. Only individuals can be victimized.

Quote:
If state A can not use their property as they see fit, that is violating their property right.
Wrong. See my last post.

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
You didn't get what I said. Maybe I'll rephrase it...

If we wouldn't feel JUSTIFIED doing it on our own, we won't advocate for someone else to do it on our behalf. If I wouldn't feel justified in forcing you to pay for what I want, I won't vote for someone to force you to pay for what I want.
We can not live in a modern society without everyone financially participating, even those who do not want to. You may feel justified in believing you can build a modern highway on your own but you can't. It's impossible.

You aren't interested in living in a world where everyone does for themselves or you wouldn't be on the internet.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
States are not real. They don't have rights. Only individuals have rights. Only individuals can be victimized.
That too...

Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Wrong. See my last post.
Picking at nits. Call it state, business, property owner, whatever, that is not the point. Not even you believe people should be able to use their property however they want to.

Quote:
We can not live in a modern society without everyone financially participating, even those who do not want to. You may feel justified in believing you can build a modern highway on your own but you can't. It's impossible.

You aren't interested in living in a world where everyone does for themselves or you wouldn't be on the internet.
Yet virtually everything is built based on libertarian principles like none violence and free trade, not by government decree.

Roads existed long before there were governments.

Quote:

Well yeah, I've never wanted that...

And that's the thing. It doesn't matter what I want. It matters that people are allowed to spend their money on what THEY think is important, not what I think is important.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Picking at nits. Call it state, business, property owner, whatever, that is not the point. Not even you believe people should be able to use their property however they want to.
People can use their property in anyway they see fit as long as it doesn’t create harm to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies