Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:38 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times

Advertisements

Life-long moderate republican here. I registered as an Independent in 2016 when Trump hijacked the GOP and overwhelmed decent, common-sense republicans.

I'm worried about the future of the GOP. A lot of Trump-backed candidates won last night, moving us towards more of an authoritarian style of gov't.

Sadly, we'll have to ride it out for another 2.5 years until Trump loses in 2020 (hopefully) and the smart republicans can retake the political party that has been stolen from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:40 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It seems like it is mostly just political extremists that post in this forum.
I consider myself moderate, center-right. But the Democrat party has swung so far to the left with its blatant support of illegal immigration and open borders, that anyone who opposes it appears to be far right wing.

I used to agree with Democrats on a lot of issues (and still do). But I will never get the likes of Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Maxine Waters, Elizabeth Warren or Hillary Clinton. These politicians have a dead message/ no message for America, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I consider myself moderate, center-right.
So you're Bill Clinton...

Old 06-27-2018, 06:49 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
Am I a moderate?

Pro-2A, in Favor of leaving Confederate and other US monuments alone, pro environment, in favor of immigration reform to a merit system, pro universal healthcare, return as much power to the states as humanly possible..etc

Old 06-27-2018, 06:50 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
More independent than moderate, but that can be one in the same sometimes. Just despise the 2 party system.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
You get some posters here who pretend to be moderate but are actually rabid leftists trying to make it look like moderates agree with radical leftist talking points. Some posters even create an entire shtick around it and even base their user name on it. They start off trying to appear to be "neutral" by making a few posts here and there that align with the other side, mostly on unimportant fringe issues. Then as time goes on and their shtick becomes more obvious they drop the pretense and go all in on their partisanship hoping their moderate sounding user name will keep the ruse going for some newer posters at least.

Occasionally they'll even find a thread like this one that is specifically about moderates and they think they can use it as a way of getting their shtick going again, but nobody buys it. A few people pretend to buy it but they tend to be lefties who want to see the ruse perpetuated anyway.

Of course there are some genuinely moderate or neutral minded posters but they don't tend to advertise it in their user name and they tend to be more even handed in their criticisms, and if they are critical of Trump they don't tend to be so wing nutty and TDS about it. I'm not talking about those posters of course.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Do many moderates post in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It seems like it is mostly just political extremists that post in this forum.
It seems that way, but I doubt that's the reality.

The POC forum draws a lot of attention from rabid rwnjs/Trumplings who cross-pollinate from Storm Front, Free Republic and the like. And they routinely paint anyone who isn't one of them as a radical leftist. So, if you just judge this forum on the basis of their name-calling, it's easy to see where you'd get that impression.

They take their lead from tRump himself, calling any and all opponents supporters of "Open borders! Protectors of MS-13! They care more about illegals than Americans!" and all manner of other lies.

But it is amusing.

Keep your sense of humor as you visit this forum. Because it isn't serious.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
You get some posters here who pretend to be moderate but are actually rabid leftists trying to make it look like moderates agree with radical leftist talking points. Some posters even create an entire shtick around it and even base their user name on it. They start off trying to appear to be "neutral" by making a few posts here and there that align with the other side, mostly on unimportant fringe issues. Then as time goes on and their shtick becomes more obvious they drop the pretense and go all in on their partisanship hoping their moderate sounding user name will keep the ruse going for some newer posters at least.

Occasionally they'll even find a thread like this one that is specifically about moderates and they think they can use it as a way of getting their shtick going again, but nobody buys it. A few people pretend to buy it but they tend to be lefties who want to see the ruse perpetuated anyway.

Of course there are some genuinely moderate or neutral minded posters but they don't tend to advertise it in their user name and they tend to be more even handed in their criticisms, and if they are critical of Trump they don't tend to be so wing nutty and TDS about it. I'm not talking about those posters of course.
^^^
Case in point.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:17 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
I am amused at some of the posters calling themselves moderate when they are anything but it. For them it is moderate if they can post anti Trump bashing threads all day long, some of which are laughable. But post one comment about Hillary of Obama and the immediate retort comes on that Hillary is not our president or Obama is not there in the white house any more. God, what thin skins they have yet they feel they can bash Trump with impunity. Some are so childish that they use vocabulary like cheeto and tRUmp which may be amusing the first time but makes me wonder about the mental healthy of the poster as they continue carrying it on.

Trump is not the polished president. Some of his pronouncements make me cringe. But the electoral college elected him and so far he is trying to do something for the American citizens. Not for the illegals which most previous ones tried to appease. He is trying to improve the people left behind. But all we hear day in and out is Trump is bring us to war, Trump is meeting with Kim to avoid nuclear war ( which the SJW would rather have than have Trump succeed) Trump eats with fingers, Melania wears high heels and so on. After some time all I hear is one long whine and I tune myself out.

I did not vote for Trump or Hillary but I would have given both of them a chance to try and prove themselves if they had won. Not constantly attacking them from day one. I have voted for Bill Clinton and Obama in the past and I am more a moderate democrat than a right wing republican.

And if the choice next time is the idiotic Kamala Harris ( with whom I share half heritage) who cares more about illegals than US citizens, or Trump I would vote for the latter. Especially if the economy is good and jobs are created and unemployment is low. You can bet that is what people care in the end - can they put the food on the table.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:27 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
There are some. The problem is that there are some posters who are so heavily one sided that if you don’t align with them on every issue you must be the exact opposite. They make it difficult for moderates to find space here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies