Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
How terrible, Japan wouldn’t let the old man kill himself. Darn statists always ruining a good thing.
Its a shame you think people are owned by their respective governments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 08:27 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
My post was pretty clear, so Im not going to adress all your made up scenarios so you can contrive a "gotcha"
It's not made up. Landlords evict tenants everyday. No? I will even argue that he stands a better chance with the state owning it. I would argue that as a taxpayer, if he was doing no harm, let him stay.

I have no say in privately held property.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not made up. Landlords evict tenants everyday. No? I will even argue that he stands a better chance with the state owning it. I would argue that as a taxpayer, if he was doing no harm, let him stay.

I have no say in privately held property.
if the island were privately held, I'd support the right of ownership to evict the man. That isnt the case here is it?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
So is the WH. Can I move in?
I'd be fine with you trying

Old 06-27-2018, 08:38 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, I argued why it is not that simple. Someone is going to own that island. They would have the right to force him off. They could get 10 men together, arm themselves and force him off. Correct?
He doesn’t want to answer because most statists believe in property rights and most people believe those property rights extend to the state and their property. Any owner of that property could and likely would excerise their right to remove the naked crazy old man.

State owned property is never going to end, so the argument is mute. As long as the state exists, there will be state property and since the state is always going to exist... the liability of a man committing suicide on state property is something to be considered. The state has a role to protect its citizens and its debatable how far that protection should go. I won’t fault the Japanese government for not letting the man die. That said, if the man really wants to die on that little island, then they can respect his wishes, but they didn’t know that when they rescued him.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:39 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
if the island were privately held, I'd support the right of ownership to evict the man. That isnt the case here is it?
Nope but it finally furthers the conversation. You are OK with his removal as long as it wasn't by the state. Not a terrible position to hold but an unrealistic one.

Even on private property it's inevitable for the state to be involved. There are theories and then there are realities. Without the state there is no ownership of property and even though you believe you own the property, he can tell you to bugger off, he owns it.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Technically it is owned by the taxing body known as Japan
Only an individual can own something.

Armed agents who claim to represent an entity known as "Japan" kidnapped and imprisoned a man who had clearly established a homestead on unused land.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
He doesn’t want to answer because most statists believe in property rights and most people believe those property rights extend to the state and their property. Any owner of that property could and likely would excerise their right to remove the naked crazy old man.

State owned property is never going to end, so the argument is mute. As long as the state exists, there will be state property and since the state is always going to exist... the liability of a man committing suicide on state property is something to be considered. The state has a role to protect its citizens and its debatable how far that protection should go. I won’t fault the Japanese government for not letting the man die. That said, if the man really wants to die on that little island, then they can respect his wishes, but they didn’t know that when they rescued him.
States have no rights. Only individuals do.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
No one owned the land. He homesteaded it then it became his.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So it didn’t belong to the old man?
Yes it did.

You kidnapped and imprisoned him via your approval and willful support of the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies