Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 05:09 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I'll be looking forward to a lot of NEA layoffs in the coming years.

The large unions sealed their fates when they decided to become vehicles for Far Left social politics and lost sight of their original reason for being.
"I'll be looking forward to a lot of NEA layoffs in the coming years."

I always found it odd that teachers are ALWAYS saying how much they care about the kids and want them to get a good education, THEN they go on strike which DENIES the same kids form getting the education they deserve.

As usual the follow the, " do as I say, NOT as I DO!"

Federal employees are NOT allowed to strike.

ALL public employees should be held to this same law.

Look at how hard it is to fire a public employee.

We read stories on her a LOT on how a teacher did something stupid, or other school administrator, did, and are NEVER fired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Unions have always been inherently leftist in that they empower workers instead of enriching management. Organized labor was a response to conservative policies that created virtual wage slaves.

"Organized labor was a response to conservative policies that created virtual wage slaves."

And not 1 of those companies was owned by a liberal!

I sure do love the magnificent knowledge many on here have. (or THINK they have!)

Old 06-28-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I haven't read the thread. I'm not rich, I make a living wage. I am proud to be a member of my government employee union, and what it does for me. Why should these people who don't want to join and don't want to pay, receive the same benefits of our collective bargaining that I do?

You want the benefits that comes with a government job, because of the union, you pay for them. You don't want to pay, you don't get the benefits. That's how I see it and I sure hope that's the way it trickles down..

Let's see how happy these people are as they see their (our) benefits decline as we lose our bargaining power. I've been on the other side with no union protection. It sucks.

The hole in your argument is, it the TAXPAYERS who are doing the "paying".

In all your years as a government employee, have you EVER seen an employee fired?

I NEVER did and MANY should have.

In the private sector, in which I also worked, they would have been gone in a heartbeat.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Public payrollers don't need unions, they already got maximum job security and fabulous retirement benefits! However, I don't expect taxes to moderate. If anyone needs unions it's fast food, graduate students, janitorial workers. I noticed someone criticized the UAW for organizing graduate researchers, oblivious to the fact that the number of auto workers has been on a negative growth path for decades. Shouldn't it target a growth field?

And just where do you think these benefits originated from? Yep, that's right, collective bargaining. Well worth the dues I pay.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it doesn't. Why can't people (you) simply be honest when discussing something.
"Why can't people (you) simply be honest when discussing something."

You FIRST!.

Why can't YOU?

Everybody KNOWS that 90% of all union political "donations" goes to DEMS.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:28 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The hole in your argument is, it the TAXPAYERS who are doing the "paying".

In all your years as a government employee, have you EVER seen an employee fired?

I NEVER did and MANY should have.

In the private sector, in which I also worked, they would have been gone in a heartbeat.

Yes. A number of times actually. And I've only been a government employee for 5 years. Like I said before, I know what's out there, on the other, non union, side. My quality of life has been greatly improved by going into Civil Service.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Just so people understand. Without unions there would have been no Medicare and Social Security. Think about that when you rely on it.
"Just so people understand". NO ONE is DENYING the important role the unions played MANY YEARS AGO.

As the say, "what have you done lately?"

Explain the drastic decline in union membership in the construction industry LONG BEFORE illegals took those jobs.

Back in the early 70's 90% of all the construction sites I went on were 90% union.

In 3 year that number reversed.Illegals had NOTHING to do with it.

I KNOW why it changed and have explained it on here many times.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:36 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Goody! Employers get to pay employees less money! You know you actually lost right? Let me spell it out for you. These employees will lose their union so they will earn less money. Poorer people means more people using welfare benefits. More people on welfare means we all pay more taxes. So congratulations on your "victory."
You are such an authoritarian.

When the government is your employer, why must you be forced to pay union dues to a non-government entity union that may donate to candidates that you disagree with?

If they public unions are so good, why can't they entice their members to join and pay dues, why must you coerce the workers to join and pay dues?

You do realize that public unions need reformation?

Here is some education of the old Democratic-Public Union system in many states...to become a public school teacher you must pay union dues...to a union monopoly...you can't create your own union you must pay the current one. The union monopoly gets a monopoly on providing healthcare with its own health insurance provider. The union owned health insurance is the only insurance provider that the school can buy from so that is a second monopoly, which charges way above fair market value for the services rendered. Union big wigs get nice salaries and Democrats get kick backs for guaranteeing this monopoly...and the school money gets wasted on a way overpriced health insurance product.

Meanwhile the union demands a system where you make the exact same amount of money whether or not you work your butt off or do just enough to not get fired...many teachers shockingly like this system, because they don't like getting judged or having pressure to perform. How is that good for kids to have teachers not make a penny difference whether or not they try hard or barely at all?

Oh and to top it off, we only get to vote to recertify the union every 20+ years and the vote is public so goons can intimidate and pressure you into recertification...you might work a long career and only vote once to have a union maybe not at all. I was a part of a union where the public vote wasn't going as smoothly (still would have won, but by not a big margin) and they stopped the voting to admonish us and "educate" us better and then did a revote for better results. You are fine with this authoritarian racket?

Old 06-28-2018, 05:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Private sector unions still exist. The public sector unions need to go the way of the dinosaur.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:50 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies