Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 12:03 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
never happen, either scenario. the reason? the EEOC and the civil service laws will not allow people doing the same jobs to get paid less just because they are not union members.
I guess you never heard of Entry rates of pay. Where I worked the union agreed with the company to instill a "step rate" of pay for new hires. It took 5 years to get to full pay.After a few years the company ended the practice on their own...……..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don’t see Police, Firefighters, teachers, public transit workers, federal, state municipal workers and trades people choosing to not pay union dues.

Thinking Minimum Wage workers in union shops are more likely to opt out. When one is making $7.25/ hr and has to pay $1 / hr in Dues, something has got to give.
I would really appreciate a link showing a member of a union making $7.25/per hour...…...

Old 06-28-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"after I am killed at work by an unsafe practice...………."

Over the top comments like this is why the dems are far down in political positions across the country.
Over the top? I have seen such a scenario take place.We asked for a rule to be put into effect that when working on a track adjacent to a "live" track the live track would be taken "out of service" with no trains allowed . The railroad and the FRA refused. A co-worker who I knew personally was killed when a train passing on an adjacent track to the one he was working on hit a rail suspended by a crane;forcing it into him and basically cutting him in two. His family had to sue the railroad as they took the position that it was not their fault. Our union threatened to strike if rules were not implemented to prevent this. The railroad and the FRA relented.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"you might want to read up on the laws in this area."

YOU might want to READ up on the TOPIC of this thread.

It is about PUBLIC unions, NOT private.

Your post has NOTHING to do with PUBLIC unions

Try to stay on topic.
The topic is unions.Period. I do not see private anywhere in the thread title.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When government uses force on the people... IT IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL!
Freedom & Liberty has no room for force.
Like the military draft?

Old 06-28-2018, 12:47 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I think they made the right choice here. You can't force people to pay dues.

A lot of people may not like it, and I understand why. But I think SCOTUS got it right.
If the unions didn't use the mandated dues from members for funding political campaigns, I'd tend to agree with your comment about a lot of people not liking it.
Can you imagine if your employer said you must pay X amount of dollars per week to them, and that money would be funneled to a political party you are fundamentally opposed to?
That is essentially what has happened for decades. I cannot tell you how many union workers I know that are either socially moderate/conservative and cannot stand the idea of their dues going to fund leftist Democrats.

`

Old 06-28-2018, 02:54 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Actually, if the unions go away now, the employees might start making more money, because right now the available supply of workers is drying up, and they may have to offer more money to get them. If they are a union member, the employer cannot offer them more money ever. the union restricts them from paying any individual more than other union members doing the same job.

Now, if an employer wants to bust the union, all they have to do is offer non-union employees a better deal! When that starts happening, things might change for the worse, and at that time they can go back to being union members again.

I remember what it was like, being in a union job, at a time when inflation was ramping up, but we could never get more money until the next contract was negotiated. That sucked.
I’m a union delegate for my facility, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is generally not true. Every single contract we have (and for other facilities) very explicitly state that there is no prohibition on the employer offering raises outside of what is agreed to in the contract.

I’ve also never once personally seen contract language that would do what you suggest.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:30 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
But like all bureaucracies their primary concern is securing their leadership and bank balance not the rank and file that they supposedly represent.

I was shocked when I read that a County government had to pay the union to represent the teachers in collective bargaining, a benefits package that is ridicules and pay for a location for their meetings not to mention the school system is a taxing authority so they just raised the taxes again to cover this extortion. Who do you think is paying for all of this? Its the residents that are being bled dry because the elected officials are afraid of the union strong arms who will use their money to defeat this official in the next election.

Maybe if the unions got back to the role they were created for there would be less cheering at their demise.
Where I worked for Uncle Sam, the union rep had a gov't provide office, fully equipped with lights, heat, air conditioning, telephone,computer, paper and is own fax machine all on the taxpayers dime.

Even though he was a gov't employee being paid full pay, he was in his office and doing "union" business his entire day.

He NEVER did ANY gov't business.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You don't think things like this through very well. Police officers are not now all of a sudden going to decide to no longer be unionized. More than anyone police officers stick together so nothing changes. The ruling doesn't force anyone to leave a union and as I note, in the case of the police union very few if any will.

. I can't imagine more than a very small percentage of teachers to drop out. Hopefully they do think a little more on how they spend their money on politics but I hope all groups start doing more of that.
"Overall this will not be a huge hit on the unions"

Are you some kind of union expert?

How do YOU know what others will do?

How many have you actually talked to?

What is your record on "predictions"?

Old 06-29-2018, 04:39 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
'bout time to end the 'Union' thugery.....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme...ons-1530108179

Newsflash: It was unions that created the American middle class. To be in favor of shutting down the American worker's capacity to have some say in the conditions of their labor is Communist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies