Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Just like everyone else, teachers still have bills to pay" No different then any on else, so why even state it?

" but teachers in WV hadn't had a raise in years"

Why didn't YOU form a group to petition the state legislature to get raises for teachers, if you weres o concerned.
I went to the Capital and protested with them. I have the pictures if you need them. I then set up lunches for the local kids who might not otherwise get one by not being in school. Again, while I have posted them before, I have pictures.

Quote:
The PEOPLE elected the legislature. If these people did NOT like what the legislature was doing, or NOT doing, they SHOULD HAVE VOTED THEM OUT.

I guess the people of WV were NOT as upset as you would like us to believe.

Did the other state workers get raises?
I do not recall the break down but there were others outside of the teachers to get raises.

Quote:
Did anyone in WV get raises?

Visa very poor state.

Maybe if WV hadn't built so many things and named them after Rockefeller they would have had money for raises.

"WV-3 is going to swing D because of it."

Didn't you predict hillary would win BIG over Trump?
Nope. I even predicted there was a decent chance she would lose Pennsylvania and Michigan. I'm not even sure why you would bring Hillary up as she is pretty anti-worker. It's one reason among many I did not vote for her.

Quote:
You may even lose Manchin.
For all I care, Joe can lose. I don't lose anything, but he is going to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 05:37 AM

59,083 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Pretty good.

We know. " you are legend in our own mind", as they say.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:43 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
"You have to be amused by the Cult's simple minded thinking that packing the SCOTUS with extreme hard liners"

And the left NEVER complained when the make up of the Court was reversed. Hypocrites, all!

"Destroying collective bargaining?"

You made the claim, NOW BACK IT UP!

NO WHERE in the ruling did it eliminate "collective bargaining".

It is always the same with some on the left. They take ANY situation and go to the wildest most outrageous positions possible. "The world is going to come to an end if (fill in the blanks) this is enacted"

" Crying wolf" every time, will hurt you eventually
Reprinting all my comments, for reference:

"You have to be amused by the Cult's simple minded thinking that packing the SCOTUS with extreme hard liners is somehow going to benefit them. Destroying collective bargaining? Undermining the power of your vote by ensuring that Corporations have the same rights and access as individuals? It's not "Dems" that are going to be hurt by these decisions. It is everyone in this country making less than a million dollars a year. Everyone is focused on gay marriage and Roe vs Wade but that is just a smokescreen for the real agenda, which is to squeeze every worker in this country into the underclass. The end goal of that process is to line the pockets of the 1% with more of your hard earned dollars.

It is very puzzling that the very people that will be most affected by this paradigm shift are the ones applauding this change to the SCOTUS; the workers of the heartland gladly voted to shift power and wealth to the 1%. All it took was a slick talking con man like Trump to sell them this barrel of snake oil."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The SCOTUS is the biggest Achilles heel of our democracy. The concept of lifetime appointments was stupid, from day 1. Justices should serve for 10 years. There is no doubt that packing the court with extremists, either left or Right is a problem. Our 2 party political system tends to drive us to appoint activist judges into the SCOTUS, simply because the opportunities to replace justices are so rare, and the reality is that we know that they might be there for 30 years. It's like a negotiating strategy, you ask for more than you think you will need.

I don't see any positive trend in the current court to help out the average wage earner in this country. I see all the recent decisions benefiting corporations.

Some interesting articles analyzing some of these recent rulings:

Citizens United:
https://www.publicintegrity.org/2012...why-it-matters

How SCOTUS labor decision will affect union pay, benefits:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ing/739414002/

Banning worker class action lawsuits:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...suits-jhgbqpz0

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 06-29-2018 at 05:55 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
We know. " you are legend in our own mind", as they say.
You asked. I was one of the few that were not pro-Trump saying he very well could win. Then again, I wasn't pro-Hillary either. Most of the Supreme Court cases turned out like I predicted. (go ahead and look, I started a thread on the predictions a couple months ago)

I'm still flabbergasted that the conservatives on the court ruled to do away with due process in the cell phone case but all the same, it turned out like I predicted and hoped it would.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:33 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Newsflash: It was unions that created the American middle class. To be in favor of shutting down the American worker's capacity to have some say in the conditions of their labor is Communist.
Newsflash: No one is arguing that the unions were a benefit when they started and I am sure that they helped create the Post WWII Middle Class. But were 60 years+ from that time and at this point their relevance and benefit is much harder to identify. All the "Public Sector Unions" have lost is the slush money to their political war chest, so I guess they will have to stick to negotiations, group representation and providing for those who are out of work.

If this was communist then then the Union Leadership would have to learn to manage on the same crust of bread as they allege their members have to....

Old 06-29-2018, 07:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wrong again my friend. the laws are on the side of the workers over the employers. in the public sector, the employees are covered by the civil service laws, in the private sector the employees are covered by the EEOC laws.
I'm not wrong.

Time will prove the need for unions.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Try convincing the unions of that. This is what will come up next and the unions will not be on the side of allowing individual workers to negotiate their own contract. If they lose the power of dictating wages it's all over.
Why should they be on the side of individual workers negotiating contracts? That flies in the face of what unionizing is about.

Even non-union workers have benefitted from unionized labor groups. People never want to acknowledge that but its true.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why should they be on the side of individual workers negotiating contracts? That flies in the face of what unionizing is about.

Even non-union workers have benefitted from unionized labor groups. People never want to acknowledge that but its true.
I'm agnostic towards unions. Belong if you want to, don't if you don't BUT what you said in your last statement is true.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
It’s so obvious that many posters don’t read anything past a headline.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Try that when there are only 10% in a Union workforce... it also goes that those without a Union might get better benefits than those with Unions... Guess what Amazon is going to do? Your favorite liberal company is one of the fascists ones in this country...
So, in essence, the 90% will operate at its own defacto union?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies