Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 10:00 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,570,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
It amazes me that in todays world as an employee that you would trust the owner of a company to do "the right thing" and pay you a decent wage. You do know the first place any company looks to cut costs is labor...……..
If you think joining a union is the answer then join the union. They do exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 10:02 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,724,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
We'll see how this plays out down the road. Remember it's easier to be taken out when you are standing alone than if you are standing with a group.

And why are there multiple threads on the same topic? Can't they be merged or can"t people do a quick search before they post?
Since there is only 1 topic allowed on any subject, when a story breaks partisans from both sides rush in to make sure a thread with their side's spin ends up being the first thread posted. Since all later threads get merged with the first thread, posting first gives an advantage in the discussion to whichever side has their spin framing the issue for the one allowed thread on the topic.

This means you don't waste time checking for duplicates, you get in fast in case someone is typing up a thread that hasn't been posted yet. They can even do a quick placeholder thread and go back and edit the spin in later.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:03 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,570,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Oh so Koch is going to say “those poor employees need to be paid enough to send their kids to college” - or will they say “these guys will work for less, hire them and that gives our stockholders more money and makes us richer”. My money is definitely on the latter. Collective bargaining benefits everyone but Trump supporters tend to be less educated so of course they will see this as winning because Trump tells them it is.
Take all that in context with open borders championed by the left and where is the rise in wages concern coming from ? Flood the country with low wage workers and then complain about it when wages don't go up. The Dems simply don't have any solutions that work with established law.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,023,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the above statement by ted bear is the progressive mantra in a nutshell. progressives know better than we do about what choices we should make.

the arrogance is astounding.

You know, I almost went in to change that for just the reason that you mention. Who am I to suggest what YOU ought to do?

That I see what is happening to you before you notice is NOT my problem. In a true "survival of the fittest" some will thrive and some will fail. Much like the medical care debate: Some don't wish to have medical care? Do I think that might be foolish? Sure, but if you wish to die in agony on the side of the road who am I to say? Same goes for worker protection. If you wish to work for peanuts with no benefits, who am I to say that is wrong. Many Communist societies, run by dictators (who Trump seems to embrace) are doing perfectly well.

Work is six days each week, 10 hours per day. On Sunday you will go to the church of our choice. Milk and bread are available on Thursday. From the company store. They will take it right from your paycheck. How convenient.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:11 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You know, I almost went in to change that for just the reason that you mention. Who am I to suggest what YOU ought to do?

That I see what is happening to you before you notice is NOT my problem. In a true "survival of the fittest" some will thrive and some will fail. Much like the medical care debate: Some don't wish to have medical care? Do I think that might be foolish? Sure, but if you wish to die in agony on the side of the road who am I to say? Same goes for worker protection. If you wish to work for peanuts with no benefits, who am I to say that is wrong. Many Communist societies, run by dictators (who Trump seems to embrace) are doing perfectly well.

Work is six days each week, 10 hours per day. On Sunday you will go to the church of our choice. Milk and bread are available on Thursday. From the company store. They will take it right from your paycheck. How convenient.
Spot on. Wisconsin has seen their public sector unions wither since Scott Walker and now Wisconsin is one of the states losing the most population.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM

1,239 posts, read 507,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This would be their biggest fear because once they lose control of the wages they have no power left.
What you're saying is correct, but isn't that a negative for all employees?

Unions don't fear that individual employees will do a better job of negotiating.
They fear that if cheap labor comes along, willing to do the work for less, the union will lose strength at the negotiating table with the business.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:14 AM

18,655 posts, read 7,520,037 times
Puts a pretty big dent in the money the unions (i.e. Democrats) have been taking from employees without their consent.

I wonder if anyone pointed out to the Court that taking money from people who never agreed to give it to you, is commonly called "theft".

Old 06-27-2018, 10:15 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
What you're saying is correct, but isn't that a negative for all employees?

Unions don't fear that individual employees will do a better job of negotiating.
They fear that if cheap labor comes along, willing to do the work for less, the union will lose strength at the negotiating table with the business.
Of course it will and workers will be paid less. Not sure why Trump supporters can’t see the obvious.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 AM

7,170 posts, read 4,736,222 times
So what?

Little news flash: unions’ rank and file have been voting Republican for decades. Talk about entitled whiners. Cannot stand them. The Dems would be wise not to count on them for much. But, you can’t fix stupid.

I know way too many Republican unionized workers who spend more time figuring out how to get paid for NOT WORKING than doing any actual work.

I don’t believe in “seniority”. Good workers should make more money and get promoted ahead of the lazy bums.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:21 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If you think joining a union is the answer then join the union. They do exist.
Was a member for 37 years. Then I retired in 2010.Two of the best things that I ever took part in...…..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies