Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could see abortion and gay marriage banned would you want to?
Trump supporter: Reverse Obergefell and Roe (both decisions) 29 15.18%
Trump supporter: Reverse Roe (abortion) 16 8.38%
Trump supporter: Reverse Obergefell (gay marriage) 7 3.66%
Trump supporter: Both decisions should remain as they are 64 33.51%
Not a Trump supporter 75 39.27%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:46 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
If gays want to get married let them get married.
I'm gay and I'm married to my Korean immigrant husband. We don't ever think about the fact that we are gay or that we are inter-racial unless liberals bring it up. Our conservative neighbors welcome us and treat us as equals. Our liberal neighbors did until they learned that we were Trump supporters, at which point they stopped communicating with us.

Just my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:50 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
I think you're way off base in your assumption of how many Republicans fall under the evangelical stereotype you keep posting about. I'm a conservative, didn't vote for Trump but I suppose I could be considered a supporter in some ways. I grew up in a very religious household. Remember my posts about having gay friends and supporting them completely? They're out there. Remember any of my posts saying I would never have an abortion, but that I believe in a person's right to choose? They're out there. And nearly ALL of my family feels the same way. Really all but one or two of them.

I'm not sure where you live or what has lead you to believe so many people fit this image you have, but it's kind of sad. Maybe you need to step away from C-D and go talk to some real people.

Even a couple posters who've answered that they'd do away with the decisions have made it clear that it's only because they think the decision should lie with the states.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:01 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With the makeup of SCOTUS preparing to radically change, this will likely be something we are debating over the next few years. My question is for Trump supporters. If a theoretical conservative SCOTUS were to reverse Roe v Wade or Obergefell v Hodges, would you want to see it? Would you want to see both decisions reversed or just one or the other?
I don't care who marries who as long as they are both consenting adults.

I do care about babies being murdered because people have no control over themselves. A baby should not pay for that. So, I would like to see Roe v Wade changed to "if the life of the mother is at risk, or it was due to rape/incest". Anything else, no deal.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
What a shock this OP puts up extreme position only poll.

There are many points people might like changed, nowhere near as radical as his sole poll options.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:11 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
You do not have to overturn Roe to ban abortion. Simply restrict it into the ground and you'll choke out abortion providers. Finding a case to reverse gay marriage would be as simple as refer it back to state jurisdiction.

This idea that pro-life voters don't actually care about abortion boggles my mind.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Of course the evangelical segment of the population usually votes Republican, but that doesn't mean that all Republicans or all conservatives are fundamentalist or even religious. The GOP coalition is a lot more diverse in views and opinions than the Democrat coalition in fact. I am a non-religious conservative and I know many others.
You still have to satisfy the various wings of the party, lest the party splinters and its power becomes diluted. Why go against the current if you can't subscribe to the predominant majority view in the party?

You may support the Republicans because of the economic policies, but you also tacitly support their social policies by identifying with the party. There are no pro-choice Republican politicians these days, the RINOs were driven out by the extremist wings. Lincoln Chafee is a good example.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't care who marries who as long as they are both consenting adults.

I do care about babies being murdered because people have no control over themselves. A baby should not pay for that. So, I would like to see Roe v Wade changed to "if the life of the mother is at risk, or it was due to rape/incest". Anything else, no deal.
Why is it OK to kill a child because they were conceived in rape? Why is it OK to kill a child to save someone else? I'm pro-choice and don't see first term abortions as murder but I understand why some people do. I don't understand people who call it murder and say it's OK if they had a rapist for a dad.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Trump will satisfy everything! You lose!

Old 06-27-2018, 08:36 PM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times
I'm a Trump supporter, and here's my take on this. Leave abortion legal, because people are going to do it anyways. And make all marriage, illegal. No more divorce, no more alimony, no more of any of this BS. Now, if a couple wants to go to a church and have a wedding, or want to all eachother their spouses, fine, but I think the government and any legal issues with marriage should be abolished. Why should a married couple pay a different tax rate or insurance rate compared to a single person?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:45 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
I'm Center-Right and a Trump supporter.

I believe that most of us in the Center-Right AND even up to the Mid-Right, really don't care about the abortion or the Gay marriage issues at all... I care about our economy and national security. "I" also follow law & order issues that effect our cities and on our borders. To me, the abortion/Gay marriage issue is nothing more than a distraction to keep us distracted from the real issues this country faces AND both the Dems and Reps are equally guilty of doing this. "I" wake up every morning wondering how the financial markets are doing and if my 401K is growing. ALSO!! If North Korea is getting rid of its nuclear weapons and moving into the 21st century.

To be honest, I care more about all the immediate issue I face daily than the abortion/Gay marriage issue... It doesn't even pop up on my radar.

But, I'm against late-LATE term abortions unless the mother's health is in danger.

I should also note that I support the Second Amendment, but support more background checks and a five "business" day waiting period before picking up the firearm(s) from the dealer. I'm fully against banning any "Class I" firearms to include the AR15/M4 carbines simply based on the fact it
"looks" scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies