Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 AM

77,015 posts, read 47,410,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
With this appointment to the court any far reaching gun control and or bans are effectively gone for the foreseeable future, perhaps a generation. In fact we may finally see national right to carry.
The Congress has had decades to vote on national right to carry, but they have not. Why should they now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,940,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm not sure where the middle ground is, but this argument is so backward thinking. Laws written centuries ago are still 100% relevant today - Ok then.
Yes, they are. Has your freedom of speech changed because of the internet and mass communication that the founding fathers could have never imagined? No it hasn't.

Guns are no different, innovation and technology will always be around (and always has been) and that doesn't change the premise of why the 2nd amendment was put in place.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:06 AM

764 posts, read 233,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm not sure where the middle ground is, but this argument is so backward thinking. Laws written centuries ago are still 100% relevant today - Ok then.
Many of them are....... yes. And in my opinion, like millions of others in the United States, the right to keep and bear arms is one that is.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 AM

25,785 posts, read 16,415,685 times
Roe V Wade might be dead as well.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,483,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yes, they are. Has your freedom of speech changed because of the internet and mass communication that the founding fathers could have never imagined? No it hasn't.

Guns are no different, innovation and technology will always be around (and always has been) and that doesn't change the premise of why the 2nd amendment was put in place.
gun rights have been so infringed upon, its to the point that the 2nd amendment is useless, I mean, what chance would the people truly have, if they really needed to remove this govt from power? Slim to none! Heck, I would imagine local police depts could squash any such attempt, without ever needing the military to assist!

Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 AM

764 posts, read 233,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Congress has had decades to vote on national right to carry, but they have not. Why should they now?
Are you asking my personal opinion or is this a rhetorical question?

Old 06-28-2018, 07:15 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,940,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
gun rights have been so infringed upon, its to the point that the 2nd amendment is useless, I mean, what chance would the people truly have, if they really needed to remove this govt from power? Slim to none! Heck, I would imagine local police depts could squash any such attempt, without ever needing the military to assist!
I can imagine lots of things, luckily though the constitution, bill of rights, and our legal system require way more than just a few peoples imagination to change critical rules that make our country great.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 AM

77,015 posts, read 47,410,884 times
Quote:
Are you asking my personal opinion or is this a rhetorical question?
I am asking why the Congress would suddenly do something they have been in position of doing for decades.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 AM

45,078 posts, read 26,245,496 times
Remember when a conservative supreme gave everyone Obamacare?

Old 06-28-2018, 07:26 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,639,982 times
Quote:

With this appointment to the court any far reaching gun control and or bans are effectively gone for the foreseeable future, perhaps a generation.
Worse gun laws get passed without the federal government making them.

After the Newton school shooting states passed tougher gun control laws on over 189 million Americans.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...after-newtown/

And after the recent Parkland school shooting 16 states passed stricter gun laws.
Tracking change since the Parkland school shooting | South Florida Sun Sentinel | Sun Sentinel

And when states pass their own gun laws it gives individual states the opportunity to head towards European-like gun laws. But if republicans in Washington passed common sense gun regulations on the federal level states would not be forced to pass their own gun laws.

Any responsible gun owner uses the following gun regulations in their home. They keep guns out of the reach of children, and they keep guns away from criminals, the mentally ill and terrorists (for example, by keeping their guns in a safe and not selling or trading their guns with criminals.)

But republicans in Washington even oppose gun laws that would stop guns from being sold to the mentally ill and terrorists.
GOP blocks bill to stop terrorists from buying guns | MSNBC
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=53113891

The corporate paid republicans in Washington and Fox news don't care about gun laws, they care about CEO tax cuts, corporate tax cuts, and corporate deregulation. And these republicans never talk about things like states passing new gun laws after most school shootings or how only 22% of Americans personally own a gun in a country that votes (instead they say "the liberals want to take your guns" to get the gun owners vote.)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...ny-is-unclear/

Quote:
In fact we may finally see national right to carry.
The liberal state of Vermont allows 16 year olds to legally purchase guns, and Vermont allows 16 year olds to legally carry concealed and loaded guns without a permit (Texas has tougher gun laws than the liberal state of Vermont.)
https://www.usacarry.com/vermont_con...formation.html
https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...exas-gun-laws/

But republicans don't want to talk about states passing more gun laws, republicans don't want to talk about the gun regulations that all responsible gun owners follow, and republicans don't want to talk about giving all of America gun laws like the liberal state of Vermont. Instead republicans want to say "the liberals want to take your guns", and then they vote republican and we all get tougher state gun laws and corporate tax cuts.

Last edited by chad3; 06-28-2018 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies