Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 12:16 PM

36,962 posts, read 40,902,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry about the fact you are unable to distinguish between stop and drop.
It stopped the cases that happened because of lack of access to legal abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 03:41 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,409,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Gosnell was not a gynecologist. He had no training in the performance of abortion. He also employed people who did not have the appropriate training to assist him.

His facility and equipment was in appalling condition.

His "horror story" in no way reflects the way other abortion clinics are run. Attempts to portray him as a typical abortion provider are ludicrous, and no one who is pro-choice supports Gosnell in any form or fashion whatsoever.

A large part of the blame lies with a governmental bureaucracy that refused to heed warnings about him. He could have been stopped a decade sooner than he was if people in the public health community had done their jobs properly.
We don't really know with such lax rules and supervision on abortion clinics.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:44 PM

https://healthresearchfunding.org/19...on-statistics/

19 Shocking Post Abortion Depression Statistics

Facts About Post Abortion Depression

1. Women who have an abortion are 3x more likely that women of child-bearing age in the general population to commit suicide.

2. The increased risk percentage of women who have an abortion compared to women in the general population of having at least one mental health issue: 81%.

3. Teen girls are up to 10x more likely to attempt suicide then their counterparts who have not had an abortion.

4. Teen girls who have had an abortion are up to 4x more likely to successfully commit suicide when compared to older women who have had an abortion.

5. About 45% of women who have had an abortion report having suicidal feelings immediately following their procedure.

6. Only 1% of women of child-bearing age seek psychiatric help for mental health issues in the 9 months prior to having an abortion. After having an abortion, the percentage rises to 1.5%.

7. Within a year after first-time mothers gave birth, 7 per 1,000 women were treated for mental-health issues, in comparison to 4 per 1,000 before baby.

8. Up to 33% of mothers will experience depression at least once between the time their child is born and the child’s 12th birthday.

9. 1995 data suggests that the rate of deliberate self-harm is 70% higher after abortion than after childbirth.

10. The British Journal of Psychiatry found an 81% increased risk of mental trauma after abortion.

11. At least 27% of women who have an abortion will have a moment of suicidal ideation afterward.

12. A study of California Medicaid patients found that the risks of suicide increase by 154% for women after they have an abortion.

13. 2 in 3 women who have a late abortion [after 12 weeks] suffer from the clinical definition of PTSD.

14. 40% of women in one UK survey said that they wanted to keep their child, but the pressures of others to have an abortion forced their hand in the decision.

15. Women whose first pregnancies ended in abortion are 65% more likely to score in the ‘high-risk’ range for clinical depression than women whose first pregnancies resulted in a birth.

16. Abortion may be a risk factor for subsequent depression in women for up to 8 years after the pregnancy event.

17. Women who have had an abortion are 34% more likely to develop an anxiety disorder.

18. 110%. That’s the increased risk of alcohol abuse in women who have had an abortion.

19. The number of women who have an abortion every year in the United States: 827,000.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,666,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://healthresearchfunding.org/19...on-statistics/

19 Shocking Post Abortion Depression Statistics

Facts About Post Abortion Depression

1. Women who have an abortion are 3x more likely that women of child-bearing age in the general population to commit suicide.

2. The increased risk percentage of women who have an abortion compared to women in the general population of having at least one mental health issue: 81%.

3. Teen girls are up to 10x more likely to attempt suicide then their counterparts who have not had an abortion.

4. Teen girls who have had an abortion are up to 4x more likely to successfully commit suicide when compared to older women who have had an abortion.

5. About 45% of women who have had an abortion report having suicidal feelings immediately following their procedure.

6. Only 1% of women of child-bearing age seek psychiatric help for mental health issues in the 9 months prior to having an abortion. After having an abortion, the percentage rises to 1.5%.

7. Within a year after first-time mothers gave birth, 7 per 1,000 women were treated for mental-health issues, in comparison to 4 per 1,000 before baby.

8. Up to 33% of mothers will experience depression at least once between the time their child is born and the child’s 12th birthday.

9. 1995 data suggests that the rate of deliberate self-harm is 70% higher after abortion than after childbirth.

10. The British Journal of Psychiatry found an 81% increased risk of mental trauma after abortion.

11. At least 27% of women who have an abortion will have a moment of suicidal ideation afterward.

12. A study of California Medicaid patients found that the risks of suicide increase by 154% for women after they have an abortion.

13. 2 in 3 women who have a late abortion [after 12 weeks] suffer from the clinical definition of PTSD.

14. 40% of women in one UK survey said that they wanted to keep their child, but the pressures of others to have an abortion forced their hand in the decision.

15. Women whose first pregnancies ended in abortion are 65% more likely to score in the ‘high-risk’ range for clinical depression than women whose first pregnancies resulted in a birth.

16. Abortion may be a risk factor for subsequent depression in women for up to 8 years after the pregnancy event.

17. Women who have had an abortion are 34% more likely to develop an anxiety disorder.

18. 110%. That’s the increased risk of alcohol abuse in women who have had an abortion.

19. The number of women who have an abortion every year in the United States: 827,000.
Parents of Children with Birth Defects Struggle with Mental Health

Quote:
a large percentage of the parents of children with birth defects, such as congenital heart defects, suffer heightened levels of trauma. These parents have shown symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety. Parents of children with birth defects are constantly worried about their child’s health – whether their child will survive, whether their child will be able to develop physically and mentally, and whether their child will get to fully enjoy their life. These concerns weigh heavily on a parent’s mind, and can cause their mental health to suffer. Renewed focus on the mental health of parents caring for a special-needs child is critical.
https://www.waterskraus.com/child-bi...ealth-parents/

Old 07-01-2018, 04:01 PM

Then there is this study:

Quote:
There are many factors that impact a family’s quality of life after a child is diagnosed with a birth defect, and these may be lessened or worsened based on the severity of the birth defect. If the birth defect requires medical intervention, hospital stays, surgeries and other procedures, the family’s quality of life is much more likely to be negatively affected. Things that may be impacted include finances, interacting with others, siblings and other children in the family, and marital relationships.
Quote:
Many families suffer a financial burden when they have a child who has a birth defect due to a variety of factors. Employment can often be detrimentally impacted for families with children who have birth defects.
Quote:
Interaction with those outside the family can be greatly affected by having a child with a birth defect.
Quote:
The social isolation and diminished self-esteem that can arise out of these situations can greatly impact the family’s quality of life.
Quote:
Siblings and other children in the family are often greatly impacted by the diagnosis of a birth defect. Siblings may feel neglected, and those feelings may be justified, but feelings of neglect may result in behavioral issues and/or depression
Quote:
Finally, parents of children with birth defects often experience significant strain on their marital relationship because of the stress they experience.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3774449/

Old 07-01-2018, 04:10 PM

I would rather suffer for my child who I allowed to live than for the one who I killed. May healthy babies are aborted.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:15 PM

29,810 posts, read 11,381,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I did watch an abortion, the abortion I had. Just another outpatient procedure. Big deal.

I am pro choice because I believe women should have that option and making it illegal will make it more dangerous. But cavalier comments like the one above makes me believe we need to reign it in a bit. Its not the same thing as getting an ingrown toenail fixed.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:20 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
I would rather suffer for my child who I allowed to live than for the one who I killed. May healthy babies are aborted.
Too bad you don't feel the same for others kids.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Many are aborted due to extreme birth defects. Take for example anencephaly or Hydranencephaly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydranencephaly

You have no right to impose your preferences on other families. This issue is not just about you and your feelings.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Too bad you don't feel the same for others kids.
That is your assumption and you know what they say about assuming things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies