Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:48 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times

Advertisements

I have said it before that the federal government should declassify it and then leave it up to the states to legalize it.

The potential tax benefits can't be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:04 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
Desperate to do what an overwhelming majority of Americans support. Isn't the government supposed to represent the will of the people instead of the private prison industry and busybody evangelicals?
This. Almost 2/3 of Americans support legalizing marijuana at the national level. Who doesn't? The religious right. I'm so sick of progress in our country being held up by this small vocal minority that at its core wishes to overthrow democracy and individual freedom and institute a theocracy. It will be nice when they no longer control the political narrative in our country.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This. Almost 2/3 of Americans support legalizing marijuana at the national level. Who doesn't? The religious right. I'm so sick of progress in our country being held up by this small vocal minority that at its core wishes to overthrow democracy and individual freedom and institute a theocracy. It will be nice when they no longer control the political narrative in our country.
I know you are stuck on the religious right as being the primary cause of the extreme delay on getting this done (decades), but it is only a secondary reason.

The primary reason is money. Corrupt, under the table, politician buying money. The religious right takes a back seat to money (as does everything else, including common sense).

In reality, the push for legalization is one of the most bipartisan issues out there.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I know you are stuck on the religious right as being the primary cause of the extreme delay on getting this done (decades), but it is only a secondary reason.
When it comes to public opinion and voter initiatives, the religious right is the primary thing standing in the way of legalization.

However, I do agree with you that the money behind it comes from special interests like Big Pharma, law enforcement, and the private prison industry. Protecting their interests would be a hard sell to the public, so they make it about "protecting the moral fabric of society." It works.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
For those of you that support keeping ALL drugs illegal...how does it feel that the drug cartels have the same opinion on this issue as you do? They are very much against ANY drug being legalized. Isnt it kind of bizarre that a drug cartel and you would share the same opinion on drug policy?
I'm in favor of Marijuana being a State issue and not a Federal Issue - all that is needed for that to be the case is to remove Marijuana/Cannibis from the Controlled Substance List for States that pass Laws removing it from their Controlled Substance List or making it Legal.

That said ..... you are wrong about the Cartels and google is your friend here - Lots of articles about the way Cartel are profiting from Legal Marijuana. Everything from Money Laundering, trading for Heroin and most especially growing Marijuana on Public Lands.

Here is one about California, most are about Colorado.

Mexican Drug Cartels May Use Legal Marijuana to Increase Their Presence in Northern California }Newsweek - January 2018
For more than a decade, the Mexican drug cartels have been illegally growing weed in the forests of the United States, and federal agencies have had mixed success destroying these illicit crops. Today, California is the epicenter of black-market marijuana in the U.S., with over 90 percent of the country’s illegal marijuana farms. The authorities say they’re finding cartel-affiliated weed on government-owned lands in states including Oregon, Utah, Washington, Nevada and Arizona, all of which permit some form of medical marijuana. The problem has gotten so bad that in 2016, Colorado began partnering with the Mexican Consulate to bust the Narcos

More about Schumer's Law in a later post - but part of Schumer's Law concerns the Forests and Public Lands ..... his law would make it Legal for Cartels to move into them. A lot of problems with the Schumer Law. I haven't read the Warren/Gardner Law, but suspect it is a lot better.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:11 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Unless you are referring only to recreational, Oklahoma was the first major red state to join in. It surprised a lot of people, because Oklahoma is as red as it gets.
yes, recreational. They got 18000 ballots submitted, well above the roughly 14500 they needed. The measure is rather vague and leaves it up to the legislature to fine tune all the fine details should the bill pass. I fully expect it to pass.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:16 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Conservatives are heavily concerned with controlling people's private lives and vices and the war on drugs gives them a license to do just that.
You really have some weird ideas about conservatives. Yeah, there are some who fit in your weird religious model, but many more who don't. Did you miss the part of this thread showing that this issues has widespread bipartisan support?

Edited to add that the "religious right" has nowhere near the power you keep attributing to them.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:24 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
yes, recreational. They got 18000 ballots submitted, well above the roughly 14500 they needed. The measure is rather vague and leaves it up to the legislature to fine tune all the fine details should the bill pass. I fully expect it to pass.
Maybe Oklahoma will give ND a run for its money. They have also collected enough signatures for recreational to be added to a future ballot:

https://newsok.com/article/5603132/p...pot-nears-goal

Quote:
Isaac Caviness said his organization had gathered at least 132,000 names as of Sunday, about 8,000 more than what is needed to put the constitutional amendment to a statewide vote.
I guess if ND and OK are in competition on this, at least it is a healthy competition.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
Yeah, it's not like our current Vice President, Attorney General and people like Franklin Graham have any influence whatsoever in the United States. Or a major issue for the GOP is who can be denied wedding cakes or told to use a different bathroom. And I must have been dreaming when I see politicians in red states play up their religious street cred in their speeches and campaign ads. It is all just an illusion I guess.
This.

Anybody who denies that the religious right is an extremely powerful special interest group that is still very much the dominant force in the GOP is probably living in a blue state where it is less of a factor.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:52 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Where in Schumer's bill does it legalize marijuana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies