Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:05 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Don't look at me! My husband and sons all have Old Testament names that have been popular for more than a century. In fact, my eldest's name has been in our family since long before it arrived on these shores in the seventeenth century. My daughter has a slightly more unusual name but nothing that would raise any eyebrows given she's a ginger who looks like she just walked off a ship from Aberdeen.
I like the old school names especially for boys. Jacob, Jackson, Paul, etc. I think it's humbling for the kid and at the same time may help them be identified more by their actions than their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 06:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I think I'm in the clear.

In all seriousness (ok, as much as this absurd premise deserves) I don't know if this is suppose to be comedy or virtue signaling or what?

Baby name lists are actually pretty interesting and fun to look at especially when you go decade by decade or by generation.

Most people, regardless of race, are naming their kids based on popularity at the time (as you find out a few decades later) and those top-name lists swing wildly from decade to decade/generation to generation.

I've dated a good deal of girls named Jennifer or Michelle in my life regardless of race (if she's hot I go in). It's not a coincidence though. They were the most popular girl names of the 1970s/Gen X'ers.
Courtney! So many Gen-X Courtneys in my life. What was it about that name in the mid-to-late sixties? Oh, and Brian. I dated four different Brians in high school.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Every culture has a group of people that choose horrible names for their children. I have to admit that those are pretty bad though. Except Kairo...kinda like that one.
Yeah, but you're old and broken down.

In a few decades a lot of the "weird" names will be the most common ones for that decade/generation.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Nice. Racist + bullying + shaming people all at the same time.

I bet this rag is owned by some filthy rich corporation out to rile up the masses to make a quick buck. Its all the rage these days.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i have gotten to the point where i just dont care what people are naming their children. there are a lot of stupid names out there, and if the child doesnt like their name, then when they become of age they can go to court and have it legally changed.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:14 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
He writes for Deadspin, which is part of Gawker. Every Gawker site is full of racism, hate, and over the top political opinions rather that the topics they originally were originally started with. Specifically they also publish a site called The Root which is pure race baiting hate in the majority of the articles, and the comments are usually right up there with the garbage you see in comments on Yahoo news articles, but hating on whites instead of blacks. No surprise that this jackwad is part of that "news" outlet.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:14 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
... Except Kairo...kinda like that one.
Why not go all of the way, say with Hatshepsut or Amenhotep? Sorry, that would be Khatshepsut and Kamenhotep.

With all sincerity, this is all the more reason that I wish that my neighbors were named Armando or Abdul. Instead of the ubiquitous Brayden.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
What's with SJW as an attempted insult, though? Doesn't bother us leftist types. Come up with something more original.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Why not go all of the way, say with Hatshepsut or Amenhotep? Sorry, that would be Khatshepsut and Kamenhotep.

With all sincerity, this is all the more reason that I wish that my neighbors were named Armando or Abdul. Instead of the ubiquitous Brayden.
Take heart Ohio Peasant, in five years, your local kindergarten will be spilling over with Liams, Carters, Emmas, and Avas. It's interesting to see that girls' names ending in A are still so popular. That's been the trend for a couple of decades now.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:22 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Stupid names are stupid names. Every group has them. Shall we name a few "other" names? Where is the article on all the other kinds of stupid names.
Already been done...ad nauseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies