Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:35 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If a woman does arbitrarily damage a condom, lie about birth control, etc to her partner in an attempt to get pregnant, then she is doing something without her partner's consent that can and will affect him for the rest of his life and that's not cool.

But, if a dude knowingly engages in unprotected sex knowing the risks then he's on the hook for whatever she decides next.

Dudes: If you don't think you want anything to do with or can trust a particular woman, then don't do it.
If you distrust your partner enough to think she's sticking pins in your raincoats, maybe you shouldn't be sleeping with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 06:36 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
This thread could have ended with post #2.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:50 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
It's not that simple. American women at least have fewer children than they would like to, mostly because of economic constraints.

I struggle to think of a more destructively cavalier attitude that being a parent is simply a free choice. When you have a child you aren't prepared to care for, an innocent child bears the brunt of your irresponsibility for the rest of their life.
That's one way to look at it, but I wasn't going that deep. Some people enjoy having children and orient their lives around family life. That's me. I always knew I wanted to have children. Others have no desire and actively avoid parenthood, like one of my siblings and two of my neighbors. It's a choice, and I assign no superior moral value to either side.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:48 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's one way to look at it, but I wasn't going that deep. Some people enjoy having children and orient their lives around family life. That's me. I always knew I wanted to have children. Others have no desire and actively avoid parenthood, like one of my siblings and two of my neighbors. It's a choice, and I assign no superior moral value to either side.
Understood, neither being a parent nor not being a parent is morally superior. That is a personal preference.

However I believe being an unready parent is not good for the child. And that includes not making enough money to support a family.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Understood, neither being a parent nor not being a parent is morally superior. That is a personal preference.

However I believe being an unready parent is not good for the child. And that includes not making enough money to support a family.
I don't disagree with you about this point at all. Life has its ups and downs, but the more prepared you are to raise children, the more able you'll be able to deal with hardship when it arrives. And it always shows up at some point or another.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Because they keep having sex.
It really is that simple. It is a constant in this world. Couples will keep having sex. Those that can procreate didn't have any controls on whether they'd get pregnant or not until more recent times when various contraceptives were more readily available. So, now couples can have as much sex as they want and can prevent pregnancy. And then when they want to have a child, they will continue to have sex until they get pregnant (or not).

Old 06-29-2018, 09:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I can bring my preteen/early teen daughters to visit for a couple hours if you ever find that you miss kids. If you've never experienced the joy of listening to an 11-year-old tell a story about her Sims family (including back stories for every member of the impressively large imaginary family up to and including the various pets) while your 13 year old is telling you how urgent it is that she get a new cell phone when you have exactly 3 minutes to leave the house and not be late to work, you haven't really lived.

TLDR: I'm a bit envious of my single friends sometimes.

You could have teen boys who walk up behind you in the kitchen holding a very large snake by the neck and ask to borrow your camera. Or better yet inform you they cant find their snake, have you seen it. Or have farting contests in the car.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There's a whole galaxy full of resources out there to exploit, and a post-scarcity society is within reach for an ascending technological civilization. Not so much if we go back to being subsistence farmers though.
^^^This is complete BS. Post-scarcity is science fiction masquerading as economic theory.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I can bring my preteen/early teen daughters to visit for a couple hours if you ever find that you miss kids. If you've never experienced the joy of listening to an 11-year-old tell a story about her Sims family (including back stories for every member of the impressively large imaginary family up to and including the various pets) while your 13 year old is telling you how urgent it is that she get a new cell phone when you have exactly 3 minutes to leave the house and not be late to work, you haven't really lived.

TLDR: I'm a bit envious of my single friends sometimes.
Okay, this made me laugh. On the flip side, I have to listen to my sixteen-year-old describe the pedigree of every Formula One care ever built, along with its racing history, for hours on end, but at least the Pokémon era has passed.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:20 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
It really is that simple. It is a constant in this world. Couples will keep having sex. Those that can procreate didn't have any controls on whether they'd get pregnant or not until more recent times when various contraceptives were more readily available. So, now couples can have as much sex as they want and can prevent pregnancy. And then when they want to have a child, they will continue to have sex until they get pregnant (or not).
It's deeper than sex though, it is a natural, primitive instinct to breed. Sometimes the decision to have sex leads to a baby but more often it is a deliberate instinctual decision to have/want kids. As we've seen, lack of money, lack of love, and even a disrupted state of the world are almost meaningless versus a woman's breeding instinct. Similarly, a man's primitive instinct to mate with many different women does not change based on money, love or the state of his environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies