Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
All I can do is minimize the intrusion of government into my life because I know it is only a pipe dream to think it could ever be any different. People are too lazy and nosy to be any different.
Don't focus on the ends. Focus on the means. This is the biggest mental block for statists as I see it.

It doesn't matter if society at large doesn't embrace the NAP. If you know it's valid in morality and logic (and it is) then simply live it and promote it.

It's funny because in your personal life and within your home you and nearly everyone else is an An-cap. Why? Because your wife, husband, kids, coworkers aren't going to put up with you stealing from them or killing them. Not only that...you know it's wrong.

Apply that to the greater world. Just because State A kills babies for s*its and giggles doesn't mean you have to condone and support it because you can't stop it alone.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Don't focus on the ends. Focus on the means. This is the biggest mental block for statists as I see it.

It doesn't matter if society at large doesn't embrace the NAP. If you know it's valid in morality and logic (and it is) then simply live it and promote it.

It's funny because in your personal life and within your home you and nearly everyone else is an An-cap. Why? Because your wife, husband, kids, coworkers aren't going to put up with you stealing from them or killing them. Not only that...you know it's wrong.

Apply that to the greater world. Just because State A kills babies for s*its and giggles doesn't mean you have to condone and support it because you can't stop it alone.
Why morality? I'm sure plenty of people thought interracial marraige was immoral.

Just respect property rights and the rights of the individual.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is the mysticism. Only a true believer can follow the logic. Very much the same as transubstantiation.

When we go to our reward and speak to the on high...we will find the truth.

Or the lights go out and we never know.
Transubstantiation is physically veriafiable (and fails). I figured that j-ive out at mass when I was 11.

You're not making much sense here imo.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why morality? I'm sure plenty of people thought interracial marraige was immoral.

Just respect property rights and the rights of the individual.
I'm making an appeal to the moral implications in the logic of self-ownership, the NAP, and private property rights.

Anarchy is basically the Golden Rule. That's all.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:34 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Not an argument. You're a conservative, I presume?

Explain to the audience how libertarianism is a fantasy world, oh wise one.
I do believe I explained that originally, though you seem to have missed that part. People will not act ideally, no matter how much we may wish it so. They will not act rationally. The jungle is kept out by a very, very thin wall. Libertarianism is at it's heart, the law of the jungle. It pretends not to be, yet is. Someone will take by force that which he did not earn. The strong will prey on the weak. The weak will band together for mutual protection from the strong. A form of government is established.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:41 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I do believe I explained that originally, though you seem to have missed that part. People will not act ideally, no matter how much we may wish it so. They will not act rationally. The jungle is kept out by a very, very thin wall. Libertarianism is at it's heart, the law of the jungle. It pretends not to be, yet is. Someone will take by force that which he did not earn. The strong will prey on the weak. The weak will band together for mutual protection from the strong. A form of government is established.
Libertarianism is the law of civilization itself...don't attack or rob innocent people.

On the bold, you think that goes against libertarianism?

Old 06-29-2018, 09:46 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Transubstantiation is physically veriafiable (and fails). I figured that j-ive out at mass when I was 11.

You're not making much sense here imo.
You apparently did not understand the theology class. Actually may be the same problem you are having with political systems. The theologian carefully explains that the accidents do not change...but the substance does. However by definition only accidents can be measured.

See? the theologians figured out Liberetarianism before you were born.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:48 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Both parties tend to hit and run.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:51 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Conservatives are not only lazy, but they're hypocritical. I always make it a point to ask them to name the last GOP President and/or Congress that actually REDUCED spending and shrunk the government. Hasn't happened in over 60 years.
Interesting..i often ask dumb liberals who the last DEMOCRAT president who increased our unfunded liability by $10 trillion dollars..they just sit there drawing flies..

Old 06-29-2018, 09:52 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If you didn't commit aggression against another person or their property today, then you lived the life of a libertarian. Now expand that over a lifetime.

The vast majority of people don't commit aggression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies