Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:31 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Where is it legal to protest? Here's what is and isn't allowed under law | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You sure on that? Says pretty clearly right there that the city of Pittsburgh is making an exception for the permitting process.
Clear to those who are up on their reading comprehension.

In any case, if what they were doing was illegal, then the appropriate action is to charge them with a crime, not run them down with your Mercedes.

Strange that he didn't turn himself in. Surely, Gregory C. Wagner must have known they would track down his license plate.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:32 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Yes they do and like a restraining order, the law is only as good as the paper it's written on. More information should come out on this clarifying the details. None of us were there.
If he was sane and sober and drove a vehicle into a crowd, he is guilty of attempted murder, aka "reckless endangerment". If he was drunk, you can add DUI to the charge. As a recovering alcoholic and someone who has lost several friends to drunk drivers, the councilman is most fortunate that I will not be the judge who decided sentencing in his case.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I would venture to say, due to not having a permit to be in the street and that street not shut down by police costs that commissioner their job on the basis of endangerment. And this guy gets cleared of any wrong doing because proper protocol was not followed.
Nope. You don't get to run down people because the orange cones are not out.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:33 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
How fast was he going? Could he have stopped. Was there a curve? He could have feared for his life. If I see someone blocking the road, I am going to KNOW that they are up to no good. The mob was breaking the law blocking the road. Who knows what else they would do?
Why should he risk being killed by the mobs so that they can live. He wants to be here for his family if he has one. Idiots could have gotten out of the way when they saw him coming. I'll bet they won't do that again.
Read the article before you comment. It will make you look sooooo much better than you do now.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
I would venture to say, due to not having a permit to be in the street and that street not shut down by police costs that commissioner their job on the basis of endangerment. And this guy gets cleared of any wrong doing because proper protocol was not followed.
Regardless of all of that, the protesters did what was required of them. They are not at fault for the city of Pittsburgh’s poor decisions and this man still chose to drive in the wrong direction into a crowd of people. Those are the facts of the situation.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:36 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
The city clearly stated they were making an exception. Whether you like their decision or not is irrelevant. The protests were viewed as legal by the local government in charge of the permitting process.

Couldn’t care less if you think it’s liberal pandering, that is your opinion. Fact is the city with jurisdiction chose to view the protests as legal. You don’t get to say “nun uh” because you don’t like it.
Here's a quote on the exception:
"They are required to have a permit but we're making an exception," Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich said Tuesday of those protesting Rose's shooting death. "At this point I don't want to get into an argument with the protesters."

Sounds like the authorities were attempting to prevent further protests and any potential violence that may accompany it. Keeping the peace if at all possible.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:39 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Yup.

Then we will see the return of common sense when lawsuits for shutting down traffic happens when an investigation into emergency services ineptitude reveals due to a blocked road and traffic at a halt the death of innocent people had occurred.

Want to protest, do it in the park, do it on a sidewalk. Do not do it in the street just because.

I think I get it. You would like all progressive liberal protests to be confined to the persons back yard or better yet the basement.

But get 1500 White Nationalists to invade a college campus, march down the city streets caring truncheons and invade the grounds of a synagogue while carrying torches, yelling "Jews Will Not Replace us" and "White Lives Matter"...…………..This is OK in your mind but protesting a black boy being shot in the back is really bad?

I seem to recall the same disturbed C-D individuals justifying the guy who ran over and killed a person while wounding several more in Charlottesville during that protest.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:40 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
So people standing in the street gives permission for someone to drive through them? When did common sense get thrown out?

yes it should. roads are to drive on...not a place to group up and attempt to stir up trouble.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:41 PM

Gregory C. Wagner was an elected official with a reasonable work history.

What would possess him to do this?

Would all those posting here in his defense have done the same?

Old 06-30-2018, 12:43 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post

yes it should. roads are to drive on...not a place to group up and attempt to stir up trouble.
Capital punishment for jaywalking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies