Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:39 AM

16,951 posts, read 12,505,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
D's and R's arguing over the details of entitlement scheme$.
Or said another way; arguing over which group gets your money so they can get the most votes.
Think about this next time someone starts babbling how they want both teams to "work together to get something done"
"Conservative" farmers pushing farm subsidies...

Irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM

58,610 posts, read 26,915,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I read the article. I didn't see anything about SNAP. Wrong article maybe?

Must be a computer glitch. When I click on the link now, I get the article.

Weird!
"I didn't see anything about SNAP."

"The Senate passed bipartisan farm legislation that sets up a clash with the House and President Donald Trump over imposing broad new work requirements for food stamp recipients

"or food stamp recipients"

"Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) | Food and ...https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/supple...e-program-snap

Apr 25, 2018 - SNAP offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families and provides economic benefits to communities.‎SNAP · ‎Am I Eligible for SNAP? · ‎How Do I Apply for SNAP? · ‎SNAP-Ed

Sometimes I wonder if some people on here even know their own name!

Old 07-02-2018, 12:36 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,797,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You obviously never worked at WalMart

No one is being forced to work at Wal Mart. No one is being denied the ability to make themselves more marketable to employers. Upward movement in the workforce is possible if you put in the effort. I'm not calling anyone lazy. Perhaps they're just ignorant of their options. But, making yourself more valuable to an employer is always a good thing. Hell, it might just spark an idea that leads to the next huge startup company.

In this thread there is mention of overlapping food subsidies. This is a huge problem. Why do we need two agencies essentially providing similar service? Why not make a single agency responsible and cut waste and bureaucratic bloat? Seems like a win for everyone involved.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:31 PM

41,779 posts, read 74,795,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
SNAP is a deleterious (harmful) program, anyway. Even the USDA has noticed there's a correlation between receiving Food Stamps and obesity.
What about the correlation between no food and starvation?

Quote:
And the USDA OIG has recommended halting the overlapping of government free food services for the exact same daily meals.
Your insistence on quoting - incorrectly, I might add - this OIG report is becoming laughable.

Quote:
Kids who get Food Stamps (and free school meals, and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have an 85% higher obesity rate than kids who don't qualify for those benefits.
The reason for this is well-documented and comes down to the fact that inexpensive food is starchy stuff that doesn't fill you up and that is nutrient-deficient; and to the fact that many low-income neighborhoods are food deserts.

Quote:
the USDA OIG (Office of the Inspector General) has found that a full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs for the exact same daily meals:
Oh, how many times have we been down this road? Let me quote directly from the report:

Quote:
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) identified that the potential for overlap and duplication exists among the Food and Nutrition Service’s (FNS) 15 nutrition programs, and determined that FNS may be duplicating its efforts by providing participants total benefits in excess of 100 percent of daily nutritional needs when households and/or individuals participate in more than one FNS program simultaneously.
You are able to understand the difference between "may be" and "is" is, yes?

Quote:
FNS commissioned a study that detailed the extent of multiple participation in four major FNS programs—SNAP, WIC, SBP, and NSLP—for a 4-month period in 2006. The study reported that among the families that participated in at least one of the four major programs, about 41 percent participated in only one, and 59 participated in two or more programs.
Two or more programs ... That means a child could be receiving breakfast (SBP) and lunch (NSLP), which is not a duplication of meals. That means a child could be receiving breakfast and/or lunch at school, while a younger sibling and mom receive WIC benefits, which the school-age child is not eligible for. No duplication there, either.

Oops ...

Quote:
the extent of the potential overlap and duplication currently in FNS programs is unknown

In other words, the OIC isn't sure if there is overlap and/or duplication in federal food programs.

Let that sink in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
In this thread there is mention of overlapping food subsidies. This is a huge problem.
It's not. At least the federal government hasn't proven that it is, yet.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:33 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,785,034 times
I am more concerned and po'd about the land idling and subsidies. Stop all subsidies.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:28 PM

16,320 posts, read 8,410,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wait until they find out just how many SNAP recipients already are working, or are disabled and cannot work.
There are plenty that don't;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDvrDVhlo0

As to disability claims, many out there are also committing fraud, and everyone needs to be re-vetted. Only the genuinely disabled people should be getting government assistance, not the able bodied lazy bums.
Additionally some type of private investigative company needs to be hired to video these bums playing sports, and doing all sorts of physical things while claiming they cannot work.
I remember a video of a guy working on his boat, carrying heavy items in and out, sanding the hull, etc.
Yet he had been collecting disability for a couple of years.

`

Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM

88,662 posts, read 44,404,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What about the correlation between no food and starvation?
The correlation between Food Stamps and much higher rates of obesity, and consequently much higher rates of obesity-related life-threatening diseases is no less dire.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:20 PM

30,175 posts, read 23,571,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
No rule against it, no, but it can be difficult unless both employers are sympathetic to scheduling needs. Some are great, others, not so much. If you work for someone who expects you to be available for any shift on any day, good luck.
The responsibility to find 2 jobs that work together without causing scheduling conflicts is on you, the worker, not the company.

I'm sick of hearing people talking about how "hard" it is. I worked 4 jobs in Seattle, which included a 40 hour work week full time job, and 3 part time jobs (evening/night and then weekends during the day). I worked every. single. day. Not a single one of those jobs' hours conflicted with other jobs' hours...because I worked around my own schedule, and did not expect others to fix their schedule for me.

When I lived in Maine, I did it again. It's not easy to find a full time job in Maine, so when I first moved there, I worked multiple part time jobs. Again, I knew my schedules, so I worked around those schedules for any additional jobs. If I saw a job that I liked but it conflicted with a job I already had, the choice was a) keep looking or b) choose to take the new job if it paid better.

No one owes anyone anything when it comes to working. You (general) figure it out. It is not impossible, and it's not as hard as people pretend. If I can find 4 flippin' jobs in the state of Maine, the state that everyone in Maine likes to say "there's no jobs, don't come up here", then it can be done elsewhere. One job I got because I knew someone on the forum. ONE. The other jobs I got were all because I looked for them and worked them around each other.

Is it exhausting to work 4 jobs? Hell yes. I even showed up for work at one of the part time jobs one time when I wasn't even scheduled to work because I was just so automated to working by that point.

But you know what is more exhausting than working 4 jobs? Not having enough money. What's more exhausting than not having enough money? Not having the freedom that you get when you earn your own damn money, and you have to rely on a system to give it to you, but only so much, and if you get a raise or work 1 hour more in your jobs, you're out.

So how about you just find a way to earn your own stinking money and not be a slave to the system?

No, you're not a "slave" to the workforce, you are getting paid, and with that pay you are able to afford a place to live, food, electric, and gasp! Maybe even something fun once in awhile. You will have to figure out that you can't have all the expensive crap that you want, but you know what, life is actually nicer without a lot of it.

I keep my expenses low, always have, and I've been able to live quite happily without spending a ton of money. People need to re-examine their lifestyles, and if they can't or won't change them, then they're going to have to get working.

NO one owes anyone their level of comfort.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,514,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
No one is being forced to work at Wal Mart. No one is being denied the ability to make themselves more marketable to employers. Upward movement in the workforce is possible if you put in the effort. I'm not calling anyone lazy. Perhaps they're just ignorant of their options. But, making yourself more valuable to an employer is always a good thing. Hell, it might just spark an idea that leads to the next huge startup company.

In this thread there is mention of overlapping food subsidies. This is a huge problem. Why do we need two agencies essentially providing similar service? Why not make a single agency responsible and cut waste and bureaucratic bloat? Seems like a win for everyone involved.
Many people work low wage jobs because that is all they are capable of. It's not a matter of effort.
I respect people who work.

Many people are challenged to live within their means, regardless of income.

This is often a personal choice.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,870,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
SNAP is a deleterious (harmful) program, anyway. Even the USDA has noticed there's a correlation between receiving Food Stamps and obesity. And the USDA OIG has recommended halting the overlapping of government free food services for the exact same daily meals.

The obesity rates of the poor on food stamps compared to the poor who aren't on food stamps, and compared to the rest of the population:

Income-eligible children on food stamps: 24%
Income-eligible children NOT on food stamps: 20%
Non-poor children who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 13%

Kids who get Food Stamps (and free school meals, and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have an 85% higher obesity rate than kids who don't qualify for those benefits.

Income-eligible adults on food stamps: 44% obese
Income-eligible adults NOT on food stamps: 33% obese
Non-poor adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obese

Adults who get Food Stamps (and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have a 33.3% higher obesity rate than adults who qualify for those benefits but choose to not receive them.

Do the math, and recognize that this is a SIGNIFICANT problem.

Exhibit 5, here:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

Also, it certainly does appear that the children of poor and low-income families who receive free school breakfast, lunch, etc., program meals, regardless of whether they get food stamps, are being overfed.

And to confirm, the USDA OIG (Office of the Inspector General) has found that a full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs for the exact same daily meals:

Overlap and Duplication in Food and Nutrition Service's Nutrition Programs - USDA OIG
http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf

Let that sink in... A full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs for the exact same daily meals.

Are we really doing the poor any favors by causing their obesity by letting them double-dip and sometimes even triple-dip or more government free food program benefits, thereby enabling their overeating and ruining their health? They are disproportionately obese, and cost us a lot more tax money to pay for their obesity-related health problems, such as heart disease and diabetes.
I'd say the biggest issue is the type of food they're eating. "Cheap" food is often terrible from a health perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies