Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:31 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
"Conservative" farmers pushing farm subsidies...

Irony.
Making something up.

Dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The responsibility to find 2 jobs that work together without causing scheduling conflicts is on you, the worker, not the company.

I'm sick of hearing people talking about how "hard" it is. I worked 4 jobs in Seattle, which included a 40 hour work week full time job, and 3 part time jobs (evening/night and then weekends during the day). I worked every. single. day. Not a single one of those jobs' hours conflicted with other jobs' hours...because I worked around my own schedule, and did not expect others to fix their schedule for me.

When I lived in Maine, I did it again. It's not easy to find a full time job in Maine, so when I first moved there, I worked multiple part time jobs. Again, I knew my schedules, so I worked around those schedules for any additional jobs. If I saw a job that I liked but it conflicted with a job I already had, the choice was a) keep looking or b) choose to take the new job if it paid better.

No one owes anyone anything when it comes to working. You (general) figure it out. It is not impossible, and it's not as hard as people pretend. If I can find 4 flippin' jobs in the state of Maine, the state that everyone in Maine likes to say "there's no jobs, don't come up here", then it can be done elsewhere. One job I got because I knew someone on the forum. ONE. The other jobs I got were all because I looked for them and worked them around each other.

Is it exhausting to work 4 jobs? Hell yes. I even showed up for work at one of the part time jobs one time when I wasn't even scheduled to work because I was just so automated to working by that point.

But you know what is more exhausting than working 4 jobs? Not having enough money. What's more exhausting than not having enough money? Not having the freedom that you get when you earn your own damn money, and you have to rely on a system to give it to you, but only so much, and if you get a raise or work 1 hour more in your jobs, you're out.

So how about you just find a way to earn your own stinking money and not be a slave to the system?

No, you're not a "slave" to the workforce, you are getting paid, and with that pay you are able to afford a place to live, food, electric, and gasp! Maybe even something fun once in awhile. You will have to figure out that you can't have all the expensive crap that you want, but you know what, life is actually nicer without a lot of it.

I keep my expenses low, always have, and I've been able to live quite happily without spending a ton of money. People need to re-examine their lifestyles, and if they can't or won't change them, then they're going to have to get working.

NO one owes anyone their level of comfort.
Always good to hear examples about an adult taking care of business. Way to go.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Exhibit A: If the poor are so busy that they have to have 4 jobs and still can only scrape by, they will not have time to think about why they must work 4 jobs.

Enough with your nonsense. No one can work 4 jobs. There are literally only 168 hours in a week. There is clearly something you are not telling us that would make your terribly stupid life choices untenable for the vast majority of people.

Congratulations on having been too dim to see just how grossly you were being taken advantage of. Is it retrospective malice that makes you unbearably pompous, or are you just really certain that the rest of us cannot spot the massive holes in your lie?
lol We're talking part time jobs not full time. The poster you responded to specifically said 1 full time and 3 part time.

Going to college part time, I bartended at one place 3 nights a week and waiting tables the other 2 at a different place Monday through Friday. That got me close to 30 hours a week. Weekends I worked 8-5 at a flea market. Three jobs and less than 50 hours a week. I'm sure there are others who have done the same.

If one is organized and is a good worker the options are available.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So in your view it's "moral" to allow people to starve to death.
Because government is the only thing that stops people from starving? lol Another nanny stater has been outted.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Like in the 19th century? You want workers to starve on the streets? Slaves got housing and food but you think starvation and homelessness for workers in 2018 is acceptable? Do you not see how your callous approach to worker's rights leads to more political extremism?
You're actually comparing the 19th century to now? Technology has made our lives much easier all the way around. Look how fast we get help to people in areas that go through a natural disaster.

Why don't you look into the reason people are starving and homeless. It isn't because they are working. But we'll just kick the can down the road while ignoring mental health problems and the dependancy on government to raise people from cradle to grave.
Why stick around to help moms raise kids when government will?

Old 07-03-2018, 03:10 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, that's assuming that people know how to grow vegetables. But let's pretend that they do, they have the room and know how for tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, beans, etc, because they have the land or space in their homes to do this....
You're just making a lot of lame excuses. Millions if not billions of poor under-educated Asians in overcrowded cities manage to do just fine. Odd that you believe Americans can't.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Very few industries do that. Overwhelmingly employers have people work the same hours for part time work. Good workers who know their value have set hours. Why stay in a part time job, with low pay that has changing times of employment when there are so many other jobs that don't do that?
Uh most part time jobs want Saturday AND Sunday. Four jobs is unlikely due to logistics of all of them wanting those weekend hours. Possible but HIGHLY unlikely. I do two jobs, a FT 42.5 hours M-F job and a weekend evenings job 29-32 hours where my M-F hours are set but weekend hours vary. Unless someone had a once a week gig somewhere, I rather doubt the logistics of a third job. That being said. 4 jobs is HIGHLY unusual. LOTS of people do 2 jobs. Im in NJ, MANY MANY of people with "good jobs" get to work 2 jobs.

"Adding value" for a person with an IQ of 90 is problematic. That is 25% of the population.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So in your view it's "moral" to allow people to starve to death.
If anyone is too lazy to work enough to pay their bills, then let them starve to death. And show me the numbers of poor people who have literally "starved to death" in the US annually. If anything, the numbers show those on food stamps to be obese, so the support system is highly flawed.

Over the decades, I've encountered many Asian immigrants holding down a full time job plus a part time job... and ending up with owning real estate. The usual combo is the full time job is at a hotel or college as support staff (housekeeping, janitorial), and the part time job is at a restaurant. The full time job would give them health benefits (before the creation of Obamacare). In addition, these Asian families also were smart in that all the money in the family was pooled. Even the young adults would contribute towards the family's goals. And no money was thrown away on flashy cars, jewelry, expensive hair weaves or fake nails. BTW none of these Asians were obese, but they weren't undernourished either.

What's "immoral"l is taking away a person's incentive to succeed and provide them a safety net that they never want to be without. Government help programs keep the poor not willing to lose their eligibility, so they stay within those income guidelines. And the long wait times for Section 8 vouchers is because those who are on Section 8 don't want to leave the program. Food stamp programs and Section 8 housing are only ways to keep the poor being poor.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:18 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Vegetables are easily grown in container gardens. No reason the poor can't grow their own veggies. Rice is cheap. That only leaves a protein that may or may not be costly.

Again the poor in Asian countries eat a lot of rice. They have very low obesity rates.
Bring back the WWII era victory gardens!!!

Actually, it's not the expense of vegetables at the grocery stores that's the problem. IMO the issue is that in current society, everyone is too lazy to cook from scratch. Hence the popularity of fast food (McDonalds, KFC) at mealtime where the kids get chicken fingers for dinner and why the lack of healthy vegetables in our diets. And the meals cooked at home are mac and cheese from a box.

In the 1970's and 80's I loved spending time in the kitchen making dinner. But now, it's something I do once a week, if that.

Otherwise... when I work a catering job, I eat for free at work and eat very well there too. And the staff split any leftovers to take home.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:28 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If anyone is too lazy to work enough to pay their bills, then let them starve to death. And show me the numbers of poor people who have literally "starved to death" in the US annually. If anything, the numbers show those on food stamps to be obese, so the support system is highly flawed.
The bolded red text above is 100% true.
Quote:
Over the decades, I've encountered many Asian immigrants holding down a full time job plus a part time job... and ending up with owning real estate. The usual combo is the full time job is at a hotel or college as support staff (housekeeping, janitorial), and the part time job is at a restaurant. The full time job would give them health benefits (before the creation of Obamacare). In addition, these Asian families also were smart in that all the money in the family was pooled. Even the young adults would contribute towards the family's goals. And no money was thrown away on flashy cars, jewelry, expensive hair weaves or fake nails. BTW none of these Asians were obese, but they weren't undernourished either.

What's "immoral" is taking away a person's incentive to succeed and provide them a safety net that they never want to be without. Government help programs keep the poor not willing to lose their eligibility, so they stay within those income guidelines. And the long wait times for Section 8 vouchers is because those who are on Section 8 don't want to leave the program. Food stamp programs and Section 8 housing are only ways to keep the poor being poor.
All true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies