Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 09:14 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times

Advertisements

[quote=Natnasci;52377733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well Trump sure gets under your skin. Who's fault is that? I am a firm believer that its not what someone says or does but how you react to it that counts. You give Trump a lot of power by reacting the way you do.

In America we have something called freedom of speech. At least at this point the far left has not been able to muzzle it although they try.

I am not a Trump supporter but a hat is a hat and a campaign slogan is a campaign slogan. How anyone can say that is offensive is really hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

You, symbols? Does the hat not stand for something? Of course it does, what it stands for is Trump and his policies. Anyone wearing one is a supporter of him and his character...or lack thereof.

The difference between wearing one in a restaurant where others are " trapped " with him, is vastly different than him waliking down the street.
Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Apples and Oranges.

Texas and California have a larger GDP than Canada. And Texas has a smaller population. You can't compare what we would consider a state with America. We are 18 times bigger than Canada. You want a similar comparison compare Utah and Canada. Canada is 14 times bigger than Utah. Does it seem silly to compare Canada to Utah? Well its even sillier to compare Canada to America.
Dismissive drivel having nothing whatsoever to do with "freedoms" being measured.

Keep suggesting your freedom of speech is 'superior' and I'll keep providing proof it isn't. Deal?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:34 AM

24 posts, read 12,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Gotta love property rights.
What does this have to do with property rights? The owners of the property fired a manager they hired because they didn't like how he or she performed their job.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:46 PM

33,305 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not in Canada. The NRA means nothing and most might not even know what it stands for.

Open minded does not mean accepting intolerance. Remember this happened in Canada, where the hat represents not just the horribleness of a horrible man, but a man who has insulted Canada and lies constantly about it.

Why should any Canadian put up with that? The customer was a jerk or a fool, or both.[/b]
Why care what anyone who isn't a Canadian thinks? Unless physical danger is imminent, all that caring does is reveal feelings of insecurity on the part of the person who is upset. In the scenario re the OP, it can really only be the latter. If the restaurant in question was a McDonalds or similar, that would be one thing, but the thought that the MAGA hatted diner was coming to a restaurant where he could spend $100+ USD per sitting with the intent to be violent is ludicrous.

Quote:
Your assumption that the manager is " liberal " is a very American take. The labels don't apply the same in Canada, however I understand that " liberal " is an insult in the US, it's not in Canada.

As much as I hate Trump, I would NEVER wear a t-shirt of anything insulting while I was visiting the US. This guy should not have either.
Because you don't want to be an 'ugly guest'.

For argument's sake, 'with everything reversed', likewise, I wouldn't want to be an 'ugly American'.

Yes the MAGA hatted guy (if the whatever % likelihood that the point of the hat is 'in your face Trump support' is true for that guy) is an idiot, but someone to be pitied, not denied service because of a hat.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Can I make it up to you with some coupons to Bennigans?

Old 07-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Someone who gets so triggered by a hat should probably stay home and hide under the covers.
I agree.

Another thing I found interesting in that post of Natnasci's was N's mentioning a fast food restaurant vs. the restaurant from the OP. I used that type comparison in a reply of mine to Natnasci, but that came out of my own head....at that point I hadn't yet read Natnasci's post that you replied to above. Additionally, Natnasci and I were drawing that comparison for arguably different reasons.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Well Trump sure gets under your skin. Who's fault is that? I am a firm believer that its not what someone says or does but how you react to it that counts. You give Trump a lot of power by reacting the way you do.

In America we have something called freedom of speech. At least at this point the far left has not been able to muzzle it although they try.

I am not a Trump supporter but a hat is a hat and a campaign slogan is a campaign slogan. How anyone can say that is offensive is really hard to believe.
Freedom of speech doesn't apply to restaurants.

It applies to the government not throwing you in prison for expressing your opinion.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Quite a few men use a baseball hat all the time to cover up for their worsening baldness. They would rather do that than a wig or have hair transplant. This is not a regular hat or a top hat that they are wearing.
Another reason, if you have a full head of hair, can be to cover up grey hair...if the hat will cover it.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
People who walk around wearing campaign hats and shirts long after the election is over are just looking for confrontation. One of my kids works at a business with a decidedly liberal bent, and they occasionally receive customers wearing MAGA hats and in some cases carrying guns (we live in an open carry state). I've counseled her to ignore the provocation and just get them in and out as efficiently as possible. People like that are just testing the waters, looking for a fight. The best approach is not to give them one and let them move on to their next target.
Sometimes?.....Yes, definitely.

Most of the time?....Meh, could be argued either way.

In the specific instance in the OP?....Nope.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It’s not the best approach. It is the ONLY acceptable approach. Any other approach means you are the aggressor/provocateur, not them.
Even though I think RP's 'looking for a fight' point is 'too blanket', I think she counseled her daughter wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies