Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:57 AM

29,768 posts, read 14,825,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
We do more than other countries. That's part of why we're proud to be Americans.
A positive minor effect is better than a negative effect.

If only more people in this country thought that way , we wouldn't see the divisiveness we are seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,414,925 times
Talk about the last straw.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:10 AM

47,037 posts, read 26,147,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
At least one city is even threatening jail time for violators.
That talking point really has legs. Santa Barbara is not threatening jail time for violators. They've made it against the city code to use plastic straws (exemptions apply, because they're not actually the caricatures some right-wingers like to pretend). The city code allows for jail time for the most serious violations.

But nobody has ever suggested that a very minor transgression (plastic straws) should be treated on par with the most serious violations (repeatedly burning stacks of old tires within city limits or somesuch). Except Fox News, reason.com etc. who came up with that all on their own.

Which is why this debate is kinda tiresome, when one side takes it upon itself to lie freely.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 AM

47,037 posts, read 26,147,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would think still useful as would be the throttling of the use of plastic bags. Walk around the desert here and the darn thing litter the landscape. And they last a long time.
That's happening, too. And pretty much the same people who argue in favor of plastic straws have been screaming like stuck pigs.

These seemingly minor changes are, I feel, harbingers of a widespread reaction against the silly overuse of plastic, especially single-use plastic. To which I say, good.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,425,082 times
For me, straws are an example of mostly unnecessary single-use plastic consumption and every time I turn down a straw, I also think about requesting a real glass or mug and sitting down for a few minutes to enjoy my drink rather than taking it to go. It inspires me to consider other ways that I can reduce my consumption of single-use plastic when I go to the grocery store by taking my own basket or bag and filling it with non-packaged foods, which is better for my health. The straw conversation begins a cascade of better decisions about how best to consume that which is necessary in my daily life.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,064,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
As in many government bans, this one is beyond silly. Maybe that's why some people support straw bans. It follows the old rule "tell a lie big enough and often enough and people will believe it".

----------------
We could collect all of the straws in North America, bundle them together and shoot them into the Sun, and the state of the ocean would hardly be improved at all. Indeed, we could stop using plastic altogether and it would barely make a dent in the problem. Does that mean we should be totally unconcerned about our own waste? No, but it does mean that our waste is, comparatively, not a significant problem. The ocean is being destroyed by Asia and Africa. Until they get their acts together, only minimal progress can be made.

And, as far as straws go, it's a near total non-issue. The United States accounts for a tiny fraction of the plastic in the ocean and straws account for a tiny fraction of that tiny fraction. Go ahead and refrain from straws if you wish. More power to you. But you are accomplishing very little for the environment. That's just the reality, in case anyone cares about reality anymore.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/33611...aign=position1
You know most of us do not really care. If, indeed plastic straws do pollute get rid of them. I do not see what the big deal is about what kind of straws they use anyway. Paper works fine for me, I am not going to lose any sleep over which is better.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:20 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,458,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If only more people in this country thought that way , we wouldn't see the divisiveness we are seeing.

2 things. If more people thought ANY one way together, there wouldn't be the divisiveness. And that would be one boring, dull world.

Me, I'm rather more for putting effort where it's most efficient. That means target the BIGGEST transgressions first (Asia and Africa plastic pollution). I find it ironic that Starbucks new lid uses much more plastic than the straw it's replacing. Talk about 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:24 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,773,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
For me, straws are an example of mostly unnecessary single-use plastic consumption and every time I turn down a straw, I also think about requesting a real glass and sitting down and enjoying my drink rather than taking it to go. It inspires me to consider other ways that I can reduce my consumption of single-use plastic when I go to the grocery store by taking my own basket or bag and filling it with non-packaged foods, which is better for my health. The straw conversation begins a cascade of better decisions about how best to consume that which is necessary in my daily life.
Awesome I hope that works out for you but it still doesn't mean "there oughta be a law". The law doesn't even give you the chance to reject the straw and feel all good about yourself because the decision is made for you.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:32 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,773,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You know most of us do not really care. If, indeed plastic straws do pollute get rid of them. I do not see what the big deal is about what kind of straws they use anyway. Paper works fine for me, I am not going to lose any sleep over which is better.
But you're not really saying "use paper straws if you want to" you're saying "paper straws works fine for me so let's force everyone to use them". If it's no big deal then there's no need for a law.

I don't care either way about straws really but some of the logic being used to justify the law is disturbing. "I feel good about myself when I reject plastic straws" and "paper straws work for me" are not reasons to restrict people's freedom, they are reasons for you as individuals to use paper straws.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,425,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Awesome I hope that works out for you but it still doesn't mean "there oughta be a law". The law doesn't even give you the chance to reject the straw and feel all good about yourself because the decision is made for you.
I never said there ought to be a law, but I'm glad at least there's a conversation. Although I was headed down this path long before straws became an issue, I'm grateful for the thought trigger that the straw question presents for people to consider how they consume plastic. One of the most hopeful changes I'm seeing in my daily life happens at the coffee shop my daughter and I visit a few times a week. For a couple of years, we've been the only people who asked for ceramic mugs. Recently, though, other people have noticed and begun requesting mugs, too. Little things have the potential to cascade into bigger things, and we all have to start somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies