Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:34 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I see that you are relying on the White House for information. That 275% tariff on milk is shocking, isn't it! Those mean Canadians are really taking advantage of Trump's people, aren't they.
They don't understand Canada's dairy tariff. I don't think Trump does either. U.S. dairy farmers have said endlessly that the way Canada preserves the dairy market and dairy farmers there would be much much better for U.S. dairy farmers. And even with that tariff, we ship far more dairy to Canada than they ship to the U.S.

"As a recent visitor to Wisconsin, “America’s Dairyland”, where low prices are forcing the closure of hundreds of dairy farms a year, Muirhead said he encountered no resentment against Canada among local farmers. “The president of the Wisconsin Farmers Union told me that what they really wanted was a supply-managed system like ours,” he said."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/co...a-us-trade-war

And Trump continues with his trade war by making vague threats to the WTO. He's apparently made endless comments within his administration that he wants to pull of of the WTO, which will pretty destabilize global markets. What an incredible mess. Trump country is going to be lucky if they are able to barter with each other. Blue states need to start working directly with these countries quickly. I'm looking at you California and Washington, don't let Trump take us down with him.

Trump lobs vague threat at WTO
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-threat-690702
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 04:43 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
My point is the Chamber of Commerce is a proponent of the Republican party and even they are saying what Trump is doing to trade is a huge mistake and will cost hundreds of thousands of jobs in Trump country. But this is where Democrats should say "please proceed".
What a pickle. Trump breaks the resistance as Dems support his trade policy b/c they think it will fail and they don't mind if the country fails as long as Trump does.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What a pickle. Trump breaks the resistance as Dems support his trade policy b/c they think it will fail and they don't mind if the country fails as long as Trump does.
Dems don't have to do anything. Republicans control every facet of American government. Trump's trade war will hurt Trump country most of all and that's on them.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:49 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
They don't understand Canada's dairy tariff. I don't think Trump does either. U.S. dairy farmers have said endlessly that the way Canada preserves the dairy market and dairy farmers there would be much much better for U.S. dairy farmers. And even with that tariff, we ship far more dairy to Canada than they ship to the U.S.

And Trump continues with his trade war by making vague threats to the WTO. He's apparently made endless comments within his administration that he wants to pull of of the WTO, which will pretty destabilize global markets. What an incredible mess. Trump country is going to be lucky if they are able to barter with each other. Blue states need to start working directly with these countries quickly. I'm looking at you California and Washington, don't let Trump take us down with him.

Trump lobs vague threat at WTO
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-threat-690702
There is no tariff on milk as long as the USA does not dump unneeded and unwanted milk in Canada. The day that the USA thinks that the heavily subsidized oversupply of USA milk should be dumped in Canada, the tariff kicks in at a whopping 270%. Otherwise, no tariff.

In the big picture, this stems back to Trump's objective to stop subsidizing farmers. He doesn't want to lose their votes so he's trying to find a market for the milk that is currently dumped in the fields. He thinks it's a good idea to dump that milk in Canada, and he thought that he could bully Canada into going along with it. That didn't happen, so he decided to punish Canada (with a public meltdown performance), and he still has the problem of subsidizing farmers. He has achieved nothing with all these lies and careless decisions.

Trump will continue with his trade war and he will likely pull out of the WTO if he can get away with it. If he backs down on the trade war he will look weak, if he continues he will destroy the USA economy.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:51 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Dems don't have to do anything. Republicans control every facet of American government. Trump's trade war will hurt Trump country most of all and that's on them.
Getting to 60 in the senate is control.
We know Dems don't have to do anything they prove that everyday.
Hope is they will run on that record of do nothing. I can see the messaging now.
Elect me. I promise I won't do anything and my record proves it.
If you want something done, I'm not your candidate.
I won't work with anyone and I'll even promise not to work at all. Lovely

Are we supposed to believe these kind of people can make a trade deal ?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
There is no tariff on milk as long as the USA does not dump unneeded and unwanted milk in Canada. The day that the USA thinks that the heavily subsidized oversupply of USA milk should be dumped in Canada, the tariff kicks in at a whopping 270%. Otherwise, no tariff.

In the big picture, this stems back to Trump's objective to stop subsidizing farmers. He doesn't want to lose their votes so he's trying to find a market for the milk that is currently dumped in the fields. He thinks it's a good idea to dump that milk in Canada, and he thought that he could bully Canada into going along with it. That didn't happen, so he decided to punish Canada (with a public meltdown performance), and he still has the problem of subsidizing farmers. He has achieved nothing with all these lies and careless decisions.

Trump will continue with his trade war and he will likely pull out of the WTO if he can get away with it. If he backs down on the trade war he will look weak, if he continues he will destroy the USA economy.
Totally agree, including WTO. Also agree the farmers shouldn't be subsidized. There are too many farmers and subsidies make it worse. The way Canada handles their dairy farmers has resulted in no dairy subsidies. They have enough to survive and they don't need to pour out millions of gallons of milk. There was a really sad story on NBC of a dairy farmer loading up the last of his cows for slaughter.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Canada is free to retaliate with all the tariffs they like, but they're about to run out of bullets. We have all the leverage, they have none. Without access to the US market they will soon have a full fledged economic depression, while we'd be just fine.

Those countries using Canada as a pass through will still trade with the US, just now they'll do it directly, not using Canada as their middle man. Those foreign countries, like Canada, need us more than we need them. We are the prized jewel consumer market that the world not only wants, but needs, access to. What those countries will do is renegotiate trade deals with the US, making them fair.

Pulling out of the TPP was critical. We don't need to join their trade deal in order to trade with those countries. Japan's PM Abe & Trump have been working on bilateral negotiations, don't worry about Japan. How does pulling out of the TPP affect Mexico buying milk from our multinational AG corporations?
So having a trade surplus with Canada is not enough for you? What else do you want to do? Perhaps seize the country for the assets? Americam economists state that there are larger American tariffs on Canadian goods than visa versa but that is bit enough for you.I just don't understand this greed and selfishness on your part. Sure there is a 270% tariff on American dairy but what about the 330% on several Canadian products.

No if we give Trump everything he wants he will simply be back for even more and more and more. One cannot give into a bully. He has already got our lunch money ( US trade surplus) and now you want even more for nothing.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:19 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Agreed. The G7 should have zero trade barriers. The offer was made at the summit.
Meaningless without stopping the massive subsidies within the US.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:22 PM

57,300 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Hope is they will run on that record of do nothing. I can see the messaging now.

You are mistaken, the republican leadership wont allow tariffs to come to the floor for a vote, did you listen to the criticism by some republicans for blocking them. Trump used some loophole claiming a national emergency to approve the tariffs, great leadership.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:37 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,861 times
Quote:

Worked for the do nothing Republican Congress these last eight years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies