Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:31 AM

16,552 posts, read 8,589,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The Trump Cult won't admit that behind those rosy unemployment numbers are rampant underemployment and people holding down two low-paying jobs barely making ends meet.
It is not just Trumpers, as this ideological debate has been going on as long as I can remember. I was one of those people who worked several jobs at once, and still managed to go to school part time to improve my station in life.
I was inspired by one of my Dads best friends who worked full time to put himself through medical school, and had to take ice baths after work to stay awake while studying.
Maybe not everyone is wired that way, but you cannot make excuses for people who have free education and then turn their back on opportunities to better themselves.

I'd also note a concern with millennials who seem to think they should start out with some high end job or position within a company. Their work ethic is severely lacking, and I cannot tell you the number of ones who think it is beneath them to do entry level work. The notion of starting from the bottom and working their way up seems like a foreign language to many of them.
The entitlement mentality with them seems very strong and pervasive.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I sure wished people would listen or read the articles I post. It said with so many jobs available employers are going to have to raise pay and offer incentives to keep workers. Something we haven't seen in years.

Thank you Trump!!!
Wages and inflation have a strong correlation.

Rising wages creates Wage Push Inflation.

Inflation tends to neutralizes the rising wage.

And around we go.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
HAHAHAHAAHA you mean the president who said-----"those jobs will never come back."
Please keep us posted when Trump Org decides to make its products in the US instead of the third world.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is not just Trumpers, as this ideological debate has been going on as long as I can remember. I was one of those people who worked several jobs at once, and still managed to go to school part time to improve my station in life.
I was inspired by one of my Dads best friends who worked full time to put himself through medical school, and had to take ice baths after work to stay awake while studying.
Maybe not everyone is wired that way, but you cannot make excuses for people who have free education and then turn their back on opportunities to better themselves.

I'd also note a concern with millennials who seem to think they should start out with some high end job or position within a company. Their work ethic is severely lacking, and I cannot tell you the number of ones who think it is beneath them to do entry level work. The notion of starting from the bottom and working their way up seems like a foreign language to many of them.
The entitlement mentality with them seems very strong and pervasive.

`
Times change, everyone knows that, businesses must adapt and change if they want to survive and thrive.

It was accurate at one time, part time students, young people, retirees, etc were the main groups working low end, minimum wage type jobs, but its NOT that way anymore, things have changed...it happens.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The Trump Cult won't admit that behind those rosy unemployment numbers are rampant underemployment and people holding down two low-paying jobs barely making ends meet.
Like that has not been going on since the dawn of civilization.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
You're right, why would anyone want to work at an entry level job when they can sit on their lazy butts and collect welfare? Everyone should only go to work if they can start at the top, it's crazy to expect someone to start at minimum wage and work their way up.
Sounds exactly like how my lazy B-I-L thinks, he is a democrat like you.!! He has no education and no skills, but scoffs at the thought of going to work for minimum wage.
I'm a Republican because everyone can't be on welfare..! I have a high school education, started at the bottom, worked my butt off and retired with several mil in the bank. Hard work and sacrifice never killed anyone, it's just a democrat rumor.
There has been a 20+ year Federal Law that limits able- bodied adults to a maximum of 3 months of SNAP benefits every 3 years. States have been able to get waivers when economic conditions in their state warrant. Most states were granted waivers in the years leading up to, during and following the Great Recession.

Most beneficiaries are minors, disabled and the elderly- not able- bodied adults.

How has your BIL managed to make a career out of welfare? What kind of welfare?

In my neck of the woods, former Minimum Wage jobs now offer $2- 6 more than Federal and state Minimum Wage.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Isn’t there a margin? Ok so to get welfare you have to make below a certain amount. But once you start making more, just anove the limit, they cut it. Problem is that that extra amount still isn’t enough.

Your not poor enough and your not rich enough. You know want to get better and your working hard but your stuck in Between. You just need basic life support and you can take it from there til you can finally spread your weings and detatch and be self sufficient and be a valueble member to society.

Just something temporary.

Would it be more beneficial if welfare required you to have a job? And it will see your progress up to which point when you land a career or find an affordable place to live will it even out? Either that or full time education or volunteering? Like you have to do something to show that “hey this guy needs help, but he has to prove he will use it to better himself”.
There has been a 20+ year Federal Law that requires able- bodied adults to work or train for work at least 20 hours a week to remain eligible for Welfare benefits. Congress determined the 20 hour threshold. Why not 30 or 35 or 40? I DK.

Most welfare recipients are minors, disabled or elderly.

States have had the ability to waive the Federal Requirement when economic conditions within the state warrant, including a lack of funding for training programs. Such training typically seeks to prepare learners for entry level, low wage jobs- not enough to disqualify for welfare benefits.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
That, and people who are not in the workforce and therefore aren't being counted.
Labor participation rate has remained unchanged.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Does that mean they get $7.50 and two bathroom breaks a day now, or does that mean they will actually be paying a living wage that will support a family, as FDR intended the Minimum Wage to do?
Most states have a minimum higher then the Federal Minimum Wage.

Unfortunately for many, they choose to remain planted in higher cost of living areas and/ or make poor choices and/ or do not distinguish between needs and wants.

There is a global correlation between fertility rates and welfare benefits. Generally speaking, the countries with the richest benefits have the lowest fertility rates while countries with little to no welfare benefits have the highest fertility rates. The US is no exception.

Some cultures seem to place a higher value on number of offspring than stuff.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The same was true when Obama's numbers were up. The left was less concerned about it then.
Entry level jobs have always been low paying. Want better pay? Improve yourself. make yourself valuable to the company and move up the ladder. Paying $15 an hour for a burger flipper/ dishwasher is insane.
Paying $25/hr plus benefits, including pension/ retirement medical to a long time Carrier employee with similar skills is sane?

The difference is the accumulative effect of Collective Bargaining, over time.

Had not unions gotten a foothold in manufacturing during the peak years of Collective Bargaining, what might those jobs paid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies