Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,493 times

Advertisements

I was thinking what would be the snowflake thread of the day and I was not disappointed. Travel advisories are common and does not mean that travel will stop suddenly.

Here is the current US State department warning for China travel - Level 2

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Quote:
Exercise increased caution in China due to the arbitrary enforcement of local laws and special restrictions on dual U.S.-Chinese nationals.
Chinese authorities have the broad ability to prohibit travelers from leaving China (also known as ‘exit bans’); exit bans have been imposed to compel U.S. citizens to resolve business disputes, force settlement of court orders, or facilitate government investigations. Individuals not involved in legal proceedings or suspected of wrongdoing have also be subjected to lengthy exit bans in order to compel their family members or colleagues to cooperate with Chinese courts or investigators.
U.S. citizens visiting or residing in China have been arbitrarily interrogated or detained for reasons related to “state security.” Security personnel have detained and/or deported U.S. citizens for sending private electronic messages critical of the Chinese government.

Wonder why this was not mentioned when the China advisory was mentioned. No wonder many don't take the libs seriously when all they do is whine and whine and never present a balanced picture. I think that many of these people would rather live under the rule of President Xi, until they find the harsh truth when they are jailed for their "inflammatory" posts on social media..

Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
They will probably use the travel weapon soon. But it will mostly be blue states that will suffer from it so its not the first weapon they will use even though we have a massive services trade surplus with China. They will focus on targeting red states and swing states first.
I get a kick out of the deflection here .... it is mostly blue states to suffer Chinese tourism. More a two Americas mentality.

But of course they will suffer most. They get most Chinese tourism. NYC, LA, SF, Seattle. Heck I use to see bus loads stop for lunch off a major north/south route by me..... at two Chinese restaurants. A state road not interstate. Less Canadian license plates too I see. So it is REAL in less tourism because of fears of radicalness in the US. NOT crime really as that was already noted on precisians.

They use to walk the block with cameras as one Chinese restaurant was in a typical though depressed Small city here near central PA. The highway goes through the areas shopping/restaurant strip with its dying mall. But t catch far less busses to less days?

Time will tell if a trade war is truly a win. Doubtful in this day and age with China already making the worlds goods, a world its own cars .... on and on.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Sorry I am not in the mind of Donald Trump you would have to ask him if he sees America as carnage.
I am not asking you, and nor do I have to ask Trump. He called America "carnage".

Old 07-03-2018, 06:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
They will probably use the travel weapon soon. But it will mostly be blue states that will suffer from it so its not the first weapon they will use even though we have a massive services trade surplus with China. They will focus on targeting red states and swing states first.
Florida is not a blue State, and the worst hit will be the large hotel & restaurant chains which are national. Sure, many business in Blue States will suffer too. Weird seeing people consider that a good thing.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
Quote:
Sorry I am not in the mind of Donald Trump you would have to ask him if he sees America as carnage.
He told us as much. Wasn't his his inauguration speech?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:03 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Que the "We don't want travelers in our country anyway!" chorus from Trump supporters

Old 07-03-2018, 07:11 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
He told us as much. Wasn't his his inauguration speech?
Yes, it was in the inauguration speech. I do not hold on and remember all the nonsense and propaganda by carnival barking politicians which Trump is not the first.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:14 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
Quote:
Yes, it was in the inauguration speech. I do not hold on and remember all the nonsense and propaganda by carnival barking politicians which Trump is not the first.
He's also not comparable to any other President. Or human.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:15 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Florida is not a blue State, and the worst hit will be the large hotel & restaurant chains which are national. Sure, many business in Blue States will suffer too. Weird seeing people consider that a good thing.
I dont see it as a good thing, but China, Europe etc are primarily targeting red states and swing states with their counter measures. So reducing Chinese tourism or ensuring that blue state US universities get less Chinese student dollars is not good if they want to target the Trump voters, which they will.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
I dont see it as a good thing, but China, Europe etc are primarily targeting red states and swing states with their counter measures. So reducing Chinese tourism or ensuring that blue state US universities get less Chinese student dollars is not good if they want to target the Trump voters, which they will.

Sounds to me like you're supporting "foreign interference with US elections."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies