Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 11:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
That is really sad.

2018 America. The richest people in the country got record tax breaks to make them even richer, and a woman can't afford to pay a hospital bill so she BEGS the witnesses to her injury not to call first responders. Wow.
In fairness, she said (according to the OP; I didn't read the link): " “Do you know how much an ambulance costs?” "

She didn't say she couldn't afford it. In point of fact, only 2.5% of people in MA are uninsured.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...RLN/story.html
Now perhaps she is one of them, or maybe not. Maybe she doesn't know that her HI covers the first responders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Something like this happened to me a while ago (not as serious). Long story short, I crashed my bike and I was fortunate that a bystander saw it and came to help me. She drove me to a place that had a first-aid kit. However, someone called an ambulance for me. I really just wanted to sit down and catch my breath since it was a very jarring experience, but the ambulance crew that came to check me out wouldn't let me. Maybe because I was lightheaded they felt the need to take me, but it was not because I asked. I just really wanted to sit down for a few. Maybe they were just doing their job. I didn't really want to go to the ER over this. They sort of took advantage of my condition. I was just sort of in shock and wanted to be left alone.

I received minimal services at the hospital. X-rays were actually the cheapest line item. The total bill, my share, was $10000. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to go. Mind you, the people that did help me there were great. They pulled glass from my arm, gave me a tetanus shot - did their best to clean me up. But, I have no idea where the $10000 figure came from. Their itemized bill included $7500 in "general ER services" or something. And another $2250 for the doctor (for five minutes).

It is sad, but this is the world we live in in this country. People afraid to go to a hospital because they could be financially crippled. Even if they need the help. Someone said it elsewhere on the forum once, but many times, our financial fortune or ruin are due to circumstances entirely out of our control. Yet we are forced to pay for them because we don't have universal healthcare.
There was a story about something similar in Kaiser Health News yesterday. Adding stuff like "general ER services" is the latest thing, apparently.
https://khn.org/news/how-er-bills-ca...ampaign=KHN%3A
Please note I am not expressing approval, just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yesterday we drove 120 miles round trip to pick up a neighbor at the hospital, where he was life-flighted. Last Thursday, he had a seizure, probably because of working in 120 degree heat index all day. He fell on his driveway, fractured his skull and had bleeding in the brain. He still had bleeding in the brain when they released him directly from ICU. He had only been on the job 30 days and had no insurance. One of the nurses told his wife, they only released him because of no insurance. I have known him for 15 years and he did not recognize me. This is the state of health care in the US. His wife is unable to work, so if he dies, the state will be supporting his wife and two kids.
This story sounds horrific, and I'd take it with a grain of salt. From my experience of having been a "charge nurse" at times in a hospital, I know that hospitals try to get patients like this on Medicaid so they can get paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Supplemental health insurance covers dental, eye care and prescriptions ( if your province doesn't cover them ) and is usually included with your employment.

There is a push for a national Pharmacare program and rumblings about dental and eye care perhaps being covered one day.

Once again, the Fraser Institute is a biased right-wing think tank sponsored in part by the American Koch Bros. Their goal is to rid Canada of UHC and public education.

Anyone with a brain in Canada, just laughs them off.

But back to the original story the OP posted.

Never would happen in Canada. People don't fret over the costs of an ambulance, even if it's an air rescue ambulance.
Wait, included with employment? Isn't this what we're supposedly trying to get away from here in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, wouldn't there be some sort of subsidized insurance available due to income level? You know, the affordable care act?

Please note, I'm not even against the idea of single payer but then what happens if people don't pay their taxes like they currently dodge social security etc. by working cash jobs?

Fast forward and "Steve" works cash jobs most his life, doesn't pay taxes, doesn't pay into Soc. Security.....are we then heartless scum for not giving him a social security check anyway?

There is currently a US govt. subsidized mechanism to attain healthcare and people aren't buying it and the excuses keep flowing.
With a few exceptions (it's complicated) you/your spouse have to pay into SS for 10 years to get SS and Medicare.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-03-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Until I was laid off, I would have agreed with you. I was relatively young and making a decent middle class salary with full medical and dental benefits. Layoffs, bankruptcies, medical problems and stuff were things that happened to other people, not to me. If something bad happened to someone, it was usually their fault.

But then it happened to me. I was laid off in a major bank closing. And btw, shocked to find out I was considered an "older worker" while in my 40s!

Once I was unemployed I began to eat through my savings. My asthma medications alone ballooned from $60 a month to $360+ a month, for medications which are readily available in countries like Canada and France for much much cheaper. All of a sudden, I began to realize that a major medical operation could basically ruin me.

Like someone else said, its like playing Russian roulette, you have no idea how much the doctor/hospital is going to charge you, how much the insurance is going to cover and whether they are going to cover it all. A poor person does not care as much, the government will pay for it. The rich can cover any medical expenses with their savings.

Its the middle class worker that has the problem of paying the bills. They are not used to taking government handouts like the poor, they do not have the financial resources to fall back on like the rich. If they get a huge bill, it could be life changing and they could be ruined.

Some people say we have the best medical system here in the United States. But once you are unemployed, once you have your eyes opened - you realize the United States has the WORST medical system in the Western world.

Its the same thing in socialized medicine. You have no idea if the state will cover it or do so in a timely manner. If you are unemployed , and unhealthy its better to have socialized medicine. If you are employed and healthy its worse.

All economic frauds work one side of an equation.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
No idea why people freak out over medical bills. My ex racked up $10,000 worth of hospital bills (that was after insurance paid!) and told the hospital she could only afford $75/mo. The set up a payment plan and she paid that amount every month. After two years the hospital wrote it off as a loss.
LOL not everywhere.

The hospital took everything from a coworker then harassed him every few months with a court date until the statute of limitations s ran out.

current boss had a nice garnishment from a roving OUT OF NETWORK X ray company that prowls his IN NETWORK hospital emergency room. 5K for an X ray.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:37 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In fairness, she said (according to the OP; I didn't read the link): " “Do you know how much an ambulance costs?” "

She didn't say she couldn't afford it. In point of fact, only 2.5% of people in MA are uninsured.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...RLN/story.html
Now perhaps she is one of them, or maybe not. Maybe she doesn't know that her HI covers the first responders.

There was a story about something similar in Kaiser Health News yesterday. Adding stuff like "general ER services" is the latest thing, apparently.
https://khn.org/news/how-er-bills-ca...ampaign=KHN%3A
Please note I am not expressing approval, just sayin'.

This story sounds horrific, and I'd take it with a grain of salt. From my experience of having been a "charge nurse" at times in a hospital, I know that hospitals try to get patients like this on Medicaid so they can get paid.

Wait, included with employment? Isn't this what we're supposedly trying to get away from here in the US?

With a few exceptions (it's complicated) you/your spouse have to pay into SS for 10 years to get SS and Medicare.
Medicaid is impossible to get in Missouri if you have a job, even though hw only had his current job for a month. Kids can get it but not adults.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:44 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Its the same thing in socialized medicine. You have no idea if the state will cover it or do so in a timely manner. If you are unemployed , and unhealthy its better to have socialized medicine. If you are employed and healthy its worse.

All economic frauds work one side of an equation.
Like I said, until you seen it with your own eyes, you keep believing the lies.

I have seen it with the asthma medications and how they charge as much as 5 times more in the United States then they do in Canada or the EU for the same exact medicine with the same exact dose made by the same exact pharmaceutical company. Its just that the Canadian and European governments do not allow the private pharmaceutical companies to price gouge people the way the American government does.

And I only have asthma, I cannot imagine what people who have more expensive prescriptions are doing. Some I expect, are doing without the medicine their doctor recommended for them. Because they live in a country where health care is run by huge private health care companies that bought the government.

But who cares if Grandma cannot afford her meds or the Smith's have to sell their house to get their 12 year old daughter treated for childhood cancer because insurance won't pay or Uncle Joe won't get a checkup because he is afraid of the bills - as long as the corporate stock price keeps going up, right?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:44 PM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times
I have great healthcare insurance & Medicare. It was important to me to have it so I make sure I'm covered and it doesn't cost that much. Whenever I need medical care, I go receive it with no concern. I never get a bill for services.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:12 PM

17 posts, read 11,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I have great healthcare insurance & Medicare. It was important to me to have it so I make sure I'm covered and it doesn't cost that much. Whenever I need medical care, I go receive it with no concern. I never get a bill for services.
Wow, you must be extremely low income. The only people I know who don't get a bill for services have no income at all. Great that it doesn't cost that much for you!

....oh wait...I just saw you have Medicare. Yes, that does make it more affordable. Having government step in to help with insurance...

Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What do you think the tariffs boil down to?

Retaliatory tariffs are not taxes. Are you suggesting sanctions on Iran should be dropped as well based on the economic argument?

And VAT taxes work like tariffs when the US trades with VAT countries. They tax US imports and their exports have no taxes. Few seem to understand this.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a little bird View Post
Wow, you must be extremely low income. The only people I know who don't get a bill for services have no income at all. Great that it doesn't cost that much for you!

....oh wait...I just saw you have Medicare. Yes, that does make it more affordable. Having government step in to help with insurance...
“Having the government step in to help”? Medicare is not Medicaid. I dont know about you, but I pay a lot of money into Medicare, and will continue to do so as long as I am working. And unlike social security, there is no cap, so I pay it all year long. Over 35 years, with compound interest, that is a ton of cash they are “holding for me”.

I cant speak for the poster to whom you are responding, but by the time I am 65, if Medicare hasn’t closed up shop and absconded with my money, I will take the Medicare with no shame.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a little bird View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
“Having the government step in to help”? Medicare is not Medicaid. I dont know about you, but I pay a lot of money into Medicare, and will continue to do so as long as I am working. And unlike social security, there is no cap, so I pay it all year long. Over 35 years, with compound interest, that is a ton of cash they are “holding for me”.

I cant speak for the poster to whom you are responding, but by the time I am 65, if Medicare hasn’t closed up shop and absconded with my money, I will take the Medicare with no shame.
Taking these two together. I agree with AnesthesiaMD, and will add, that Medicare does not pay for everything. Only Part "A", hospitalization, is free, and it doesn't cover everything. Part "B", basically major medical, is voluntary and requires a premium, and has deductibles and copays. You can also buy supplemental policies that pay for things that A and B don't pay for, including most prescription drugs.
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...at-glance.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies